weight loss

woolybanana

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Skeletal Me you mean, Patf. Well, perhaps when I have got rid of the rest which is another ten kilos, so that I am around the top end of the Body Mass Index range for my height.

But it does pose problems with clothes as I have to get a complete new set of some stuff, so M and S visits or website trawls have become quite exciting. And getting rid of brand new but now far too big trousers is a wrench, but there we are. My weight loss is Emmaus's gain.

[/quote]

Congrats on weight loss but BMI is a crap measure of anything. Sir Steve Redgrave was obesive when he was rowing shoulder size to waiste makes more sense

I totally agree about BMI.  I think waist measurement is important as is flab.  You know, you don't even need your scales, you just know how much you are spreading and where you are spreading......eeeuuuuhhhh!

Hi Suej

Am in same boat as you!  Except I have been on replacement thyroid tabs since 1972.  All well even when pregnant but about 5 years ago the docs decided to reduce my 300 mgs to 1.25 mgs and the weight has steadily gone on.  I may eat slightly more than I now need as less active but not really much different to the past.

I find it very difficult to accept at least 3 stone overweight now - I do not like chocolate, cakes, fatty foods and rarely eat desserts (if a tarte I eat the fruit but leave the pastry)  I hardly drink alcohol - may be a glass of wine with my dinner sometimes.

I work on the house and in the garden and am always rushing around.

Despite protests docs insist that medication is correct - my theory for what it is worth is that my system had got used to a certain level of thyroxine which having now been reduced is causing the weight to pile on.

Good luck with your problem - sorry not have been of any help.  My mother had a partial thyroidectomy when she was in her 40s but was not put on replacement therapy and died at 94 still as slim as ever. 

WendyG

Sue & Wendy - same here! Not had a thyroidectomy but Hashimotos which started 18 months ago (when I was size 10). I quickly went to size 16, but blood tests show that everything is fine with my dosage of Levethyox despite the weight gain and tiredness.

I used to eat anything I wanted - now I eat as little as I can but can't shift any weight.

I read somewhere that there are lots of people with thyroid problems due to Chernobyl - don't know if there's anything in that, but there does seem a lot of it about.

Sorry folks,  WendyG, Pommier and I seem to be turning 'Weight Loss' into 'Weight Gain' - perhaps we should be moved somewhere else??

To the other two , I'm interested to read you feel there is some connection with the thyroid treatment.

Do either of you know a forum called 'Vivre Sans Thyroide'?

Will PM you both later this evening,  have got to wobble off to market now....