Who needs Uni with on the job training?

just john

[quote user="Chancer"]   the list goes on.[/quote]

Don't forget headgaskets Chancer, Payen were first on our tel list,

[quote user="Quillan"] I believe it was the mini they looked at for front wheel drive but only for small cars  [/quote]

I seem to recall it was to consider entering the small car market, Ford said they couldn't make it for the money, then out came the Fiesta, (Given to Healey Motor Co to perk it up)

[quote user="Quillan"] The management couldn't do anything about the build quality, sack somebody for bad work, strike till they got their job back, criticise in general and were told pay us more money and we will do better work. It was this type of attitude by the workers and the unions that made the management just give up. [/quote]

What a damning indictment of weak management. What did Michael Edwardes say 10 years later after the damage had been done ''Management’s right to Manage.''

I thought the writing was on the wall as early as 1967, I was driving a sprite, but went out on the pull at the weekends with a friend who used the company MG Magnette, which we thought was spiffing, however within a short time his company changed the car for a Toyota Corona, and though I didn't like it, it made the Magnette yesterdays chip papers.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Min was not by far the World's first FWD car in production.

Lancia Apprilia, 1930s: and the Citroën Traction Avant: used by the Gestapo in occupied France and produced post-war for a bit.

Citroën 2CV; DS.  Simca, Peugot and Renault in the 60s: Triumph 1300 '65. Keep on going

Ford didn't introduce the Fiesta until 1976.

The Simca concept, engine and gearbox in line, but mounted, transversely, with unequal length driveshafts, was the recipe copied by all. Including Ford.

Saab: who can forget Eric "On the Roof" Carlson: it was from his escapades "On the loose", I picked up the trick of developing Left Foot Braking when driving Cooper s cars far too fast!

If my memory serves me right Hotchkiss made the first production FWD car.

I had a few FWD Triumph 1300's and was very fond of them, big car luxury and ride for small car money and running costs, I also had one of the later RWD ones, a Toledo? which I passed on to my niece, not often a company goes from FWD to RWD on virtually the same bodyshell.

One of my all time favorites are the air cooled ali bodied Panhards, I have a mate that restores them and builds and races FWD single seaters with the same powerplant/drivetrain, they really are so so minimal, they make even Colin Chapmans creations look lardy.

A good list here, JRC.

See Here:

A year ago or so I was introduced to a charming Frenchman who lives 40 minutes away, by a chum: we had gone to pick up a large trailer load of hay.

The Frenchman retired, some years back, having sold back his Carrefour franchise for a large chunk of the area, to the company.

He breeds horses and rare donkeys: but also, is the proud owner of, probably, the largest collection of antique tractors and agricultural machinery and equipment in France: if not Europe! He is often on French TV apparently.

It is all housed in a huge modern building: which was, apparently part-built as a new Carrefour branch, but the architects/designers and contractors got it wrong and he grabbed it and had it re-built on his large farm. All hidden behind a modest-looking brick wall and courtyard gates...........

Amongst his vast collection he also has cars and motorcycles: including a superb pre-war Traction Avant.

Very advanced engineering for its day: and quick!

Panhards: indeed. There were so many interesting engineering concepts emerging from France post WWII. Like the Rene Bonnets and the Cicistilia (??)

[quote user="Iceni"]

One's inability to type should not be confused with one's inability to spell.

John 8:7

[/quote]

Rubbish.

To make a typo (such as writing 'wrtsi' fr 'writs'  is understandable as a possible motor problem

In the case of confusing 'writs' with 'writes' shows deep seated ignorance of the difference between a noun and a verb.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="Iceni"]

[/quote]

Rubbish.

To make a typo (such as writing 'wrtsi' fr 'writs'  is understandable as a possible motor problem

In the case of confusing 'writs' with 'writes' shows deep seated ignorance of the difference between a noun and a verb.

[/quote]

So....................... you are suggesting I return my copy of Nuance Naturally Speaking Preferred  to the maker and complain it doesn't know the difference between a noun and a verb then?

[:D]

This would put the software in excellent company!

Hordes of journalists who write stuff like "Woods carded 67..."

Or "Latest mega-band Dipsticks United failed to chart with their new album!"

Plus kids who say "He texted me!"

More seriously, I fear, Norm, you have just demonstrated your ignorance of Speech Recognition Software: as well as your equal ignorance of the causes and symptoms of nerve compression complaints like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: which I conclude you are confusing with Dyslexia.

PS. You made a typo! [:-))]

As far as I can tell, the English lexicon contains no such word as "fr".

So: what's your excuse?

Dyslexia?

[:D] [:P]

[quote user="NormanH"]
Have you noticed the absence of Frenchie, the relative lack of presence of those invaluable posters Clair and 5e?Haes anybody thought that these helpful people might find these diatribes distasteful?

[/quote]

I can only speak for myself, but I must admit there is some truth in this.

I've been very busy with work, this term, and I've also been hurt and disappointed by the reaction of some people, the mails I got , etc.

The forum suddenly did not appear to me as being as friendly as I thought it was.

Maybe I overeacted. I don't know.

Yet, there are people on here I consider as my friends, so , I 'll keep on posting.. When I can..

[quote user="Gluestick"][quote user="NormanH"][quote user="Iceni"]

[/quote]

Rubbish.

[/quote]

So....................... you are suggesting I return my copy of Nuance Naturally Speaking Preferred  to the maker and complain it doesn't know the difference between a noun and a verb then?

[:D]

This would put the software in excellent company!

Hordes of journalists who write stuff like "Woods carded 67..."

Or "Latest mega-band Dipsticks United failed to chart with their new album!"

Plus kids who say "He texted me!"

More seriously, I fear, Norm, you have just demonstrated your ignorance of Speech Recognition Software: as well as your equal ignorance of the causes and symptoms of nerve compression complaints like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: which I conclude you are confusing with Dyslexia.

PS. You made a typo! [:-))]

As far as I can tell, the English lexicon contains no such word as "fr".

So: what's your excuse?

Dyslexia?

[:D] [:P]

[/quote]

No[:)] An example of a GENUINE typo..

This is interseting as untill now I thoughst taht I had a dysleexic keyaboard, many words that I type have the letters reversed and / or diaplaced, sometimles with the next letters on the keyboard sometimes with extra one s that I didnt ven want to put in.

I have deliberatley not editted this posting so you can se what I have to correct every time that i post, I know parts of the problem, I type with two fingers but not looking at the screen output, I tytpe too fast and having only monocular vision i cant realy se wha keys are being hit, I am now typing with one finger and looking at the screen I can see that ll is well, well nearlythere are still some erros, not hitting keys hard enough.

Back to two fingers, another problem is the tex in this screen is really a bity to samll for me to see the erors until they are posted, I then have to go abck in and re-edte sometimes several times until I get fde up, late at night I jst dont ahve the time.

so ow you can see what my postings would be like buy for my tireless editting.

do i habe a motor probelem or a dyslexic keybaord?

And for those who think this is a wind up posting I am now typing very very slowly and editting any typos, what you see above apart fro being typed perhaps faster than normal is what appears on the forum every time I post before I edit it.

Nearly a year of abstinence now yet I still get hangovers [:(]

It wasnt a wind up, do I have motor problems?

I have stripped and cleaned my clavie but cant find any eveidence of a motro, perhaps someoen ahs stolen it [:D]

Edited. It is refreshing to be able to post at lzst without having to edit it afterwards, even though thsi is an deit [:D]

I have just read a few postings and wondered what was going on.

What a greta display of solidarity [:D]

Now i know that i am not alone, but what have !i started?

I am convince that it si tyhis bloomin keybaorsd, everytime i press the shift key to capiyatlise my I's and they come out lower case, partsb  from taht one of course [;-)]

Hey its really libereating not to deit my psotiungs and type as fasyt as i liek [kiss]