Perhaps Vince Cable should take up dancing full time ?

Frederick

The problem is not that VC dislikes the Murdock Media - many share that view.  The problem is that VC, as a Minister of the Crown, was going to be the final arbiter as to whether or not Murdock could take over the rest of Sky. He even acknowledged during the "interview" that he could not politicise this. So he was aware of his duty but chose to "...speak his mind......" to two complete strangers he thought were potential electors in his constituency.  In doing so, he indicated that his mind was made up before the OFCOM report had arrived, upon which he was supposed to make his decision.

[quote user="Thibault"]The problem is not that VC dislikes the Murdock Media - many share that view.  The problem is that VC, as a Minister of the Crown, was going to be the final arbiter as to whether or not Murdock could take over the rest of Sky. He even acknowledged during the "interview" that he could not politicise this. So he was aware of his duty but chose to "...speak his mind......" to two complete strangers he thought were potential electors in his constituency.  In doing so, he indicated that his mind was made up before the OFCOM report had arrived, upon which he was supposed to make his decision.[/quote]

Exactly

[quote user="just john "][quote user="woolybanana"]Seeing his affected hat ! [/quote]I actually quite like it myself and just the job for this weather, I think I might get a cinnamon one for summer, what do you think? I guess you'd prefer the red one Wools?[8-|] Pachacuti Felt Fedora[/quote]

Please permit me to thread drift on Christmas Eve.  While you lot are busying yourself silly, I am tucked up in bed reading books and occasionally reading this Forum.  All my children are at a friend's house preparing the Christmas Feast.

I can't work out why our generation stopped wearing hats - too much time in cars, perhaps?  I reckon, JJ, you should get a Panama for the summer and a Fedora for the winter.  Cinnamon, sounds interesting.  How do you keep a hat on when driving an open top?

Back to thread, Vince Cable is lucky to have held onto his cabinet post.  His problem was his indiscretion about revealing his thoughts to strangers.  You wonder how often he has briefed friends and journalists off the record.

Good to see you posting Cathy, have a good one at the Christmas Feast, we'll all be thinking of you and others.

Thanks for the chapeau advice, my old panama is pretty battered, I don't usually drive an open top in the Winter [:)] and in the summer it sits on the back seat until I get out of the car, when it helps cut down the glare and sunburn, I used a hat strap in the past to avoid the sunburn on a drive from Calais to Antibe  in a Healey but then you find you need a perspiration band. On the way back we put the hood up with side and rear windows down. I imagine Vince is doing a bit more office hopping than I am and probably finds his fedora keeps his head warm this weather rather than any fashion affectation.

Back to thread, Vince Cables indiscretion off the record normally would expect to have been respected, It seems entrapment knows no bounds now, but do these young female journo's expect anyone to be so open with them even if they get another interview ever again?

[quote user="Thibault"]The problem is not that VC dislikes the Murdock Media - many share that view.  The problem is that VC, as a Minister of the Crown, was going to be the final arbiter as to whether or not Murdock could take over the rest of Sky. He even acknowledged during the "interview" that he could not politicise this. So he was aware of his duty but chose to "...speak his mind......" to two complete strangers he thought were potential electors in his constituency.  In doing so, he indicated that his mind was made up before the OFCOM report had arrived, upon which he was supposed to make his decision.[/quote]

OFCOM reports are simply window dressing: the agency has been a toothless lion since inception.

In deciding whether any merger, take-over whatever is given the nod, it has always been the relevant minister of state who makes the final decision.

Go back and read about Fayed and Rowland's battle over H of F and Harrods.

A salutary tale of ministerial and agency (OFT) incompetence, patronage, myopia and the like.

Well covered in Tom Bower's two books; Fayed: and Rebel Tycoon.

[quote user="Gluestick"][OFCOM reports are simply window dressing: the agency has been a toothless lion since inception.........
[/quote]  Partial quote only.

That may well be true, however it doesn't alter the case regarding VC's remarks.  It is difficult to see the connection between two "constituents" wishing to discuss child benefit issues and VC's Ministerial role over Murdock and Sky, unless he was hoping to impress two potential voters about himself and what he could or could not do.