Boring old subject, vacuum cleaners

mint

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have had another look, JJ.  Still think it's heavy but the price actually compares to an Oreck.

RH, I will investigate further.  Meanwhile, internet playing silly b*****s so I'm going to shut down now and sleep on it! (no, not sleep on the computer, sleep on the problem).

[quote user="woolybanana"]Good heavens, my parentrs had a Hoover upright that lasted fifty years and was still going strong after their demise.[/quote]

Many, many moons ago, I used to work for Hoover.

A Hoover 'Senior' would suck the whotsit out of a do-ins, it was always said. (Well, actually, the words were somewhat less gentile, but .............) 

Had one a long time ago, Keni, but I can't really remember what it was like but I will google that before finally committing.

I saw a Vax lightweight upright on the internet yesterday but I haven't had a chance to read about the features.  Anyone got one of those?  At the moment, I just looked at it because Vax was a name I recognised and there is a good reduction on the Amazon site.

JJ, I looked at the reviews of the Sebo and someone said the handle was rather high for a small person so I guess that rules it out for me.

I had a Panasonic & so did me mum! Sucked up everything - cat hair and mine (I shed more than any animal the family will agree to that) - Chris says even found the kid in there when we emptied the bag. Lightweight, great for stairs and flat floors as well as carpets. Left ours in Uk with the daughter last year - missing it!

My UK Hoover Senior is still going very strong after nearly 40 years; OH says maybe that's why they came to an end - lasted too long, so replacements weren't needed! [:)] The 'hoover' in France is a tinyl, light-weight, quiet, primrose-coloured Miele, but hasn't much to do really, as it's a very small apartment. I did fancy one of those robot types from Lakeland and John Lewis, but OH thought it was a bit gimmicky. I'd like to have one that just buzzes about and gets on with it - but then I just leave the hoovering to OH these days - he just buzzes around and gets on with it too! [:D] I can't imagine a robot-type would be very good with pet hair, though!

I'm beginning to think we'd all feel rather at home in your new chateau, Sweet - you've kept us in the loop with the searching and finding (including about various drains etc!), with the new washing machine and now the vacuum cleaner!

The iRobot Roomba seems to pick up cat hair very well, we have three house cats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-t75pD909c    Apart from the roller brushes underneath it has a little rotating side brush which cleans out corners. Had a Miele Aspirateur which was ok but not after I sucked up a lot of loose plaster which knackered the motor bearings, some fine stuff must have got through the bag and filters.

I like the idea of a central vacuum cleaner such as the one my barber has, wife prefers the robot. He just sweeps up the cut hair into a heap near the inlet at the bottom of a wall and kicks a button with his foot and the hair just goes swoosh down a chute. I would like to put a unit in our cellar with pipes to inlets in each room and all you would need is a longish hose and nozzle to carry from room to room! You could mount the unit outside if not in a cellar with the receiving bag there like the Americans have on their hotel airconditioning systems...............JR 

[quote user="gardengirl "]

I'm beginning to think we'd all feel rather at home in your new chateau, Sweet - you've kept us in the loop with the searching and finding (including about various drains etc!), with the new washing machine and now the vacuum cleaner!

[/quote]

Now I'm embarrassed!  Do you all really want to hear all these banal blow-by-blow accounts of the everyday life of chateau folk?

As an excuse, I do really want to hear people's opinions as I don't like spending money on appliances that don't work.  Done that with hoovers, amongst other things, and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Not only that, I ain't got the money to be making expensive mistakes.

Just looked at the Which report - this gives the Bosch BSG8PRO 1GBas the best buy, then lots of Meile models and then somethink called a Nilfisk - they are all cylinders.

Theres a Hoover a little further down the list, which says it copes really well with pet hair : Hoover Silent Energy TSE0100

JohnRoss, my OH suggested a system like that many years ago, but we couldn't find one then - I think it would be great! One of our son's friends installed that system when they did great works at their bungalow, which is now a chateau. Apparently the only problem was when their son was small, and he used to put little toys down the holes in the skirting boards where the dust was meant to go.

Sweet, you must keep asking for help in your quests for things for your chateau - it's the nearest we all get to our own version of  'the everyday life of chateaufolk'!  [:D]

• 1 month later...

I come across all different models of vacuum cleaner, usually abandoned unloved by their owners (sounds like the animal thread) [:)] The latest casualty is a Vax power2, as Quillan says "make it idiot proof and nature provides a better idiot!"

Anyway it blew it's fuse 2.2kw + clogged filter hardly surprising. Filter cleaned, fuse replaced and it's one of the most hopeless vacuum's I have ever used, definitely never waste your money on one of these.

In the end, I settled for this little beauty:

http://www.vax.co.uk/shop/product/upright-vacuum-cleaners/mach-bagless-upright/Mach-Air-U91-MA-B

I really do like it a lot and I am hoovering more than I ever used to do simply because it's such a pleasure and practically effortless to use.

If you find a friendly person (or two, in my case!) to bring it over to France for you, you won't get the 6-year guarantee because that only applies to the UK.

Heavy and cumbersome sounds like Dyson, Frecossais.

No, this one is really very nice...I don't like heavy hoovers and I don't like ones that don't go into corners or are flat enough to go under some furniture.

The design is very good and the handle is height adjustable which is brilliant for me as I am not tall.

I would have loved an Oreck but, in the end, I couldn't be bothered with having to order bags and replacement bits to be sent out.

Lightweight but does the job....that was more or less what I wanted and what I have got.

Thanks for the nice message!