Anne Robinson vs Nigella Lawson

idun

Nigella says that she would look older if she lost weight.

Anne says that women her age are usually a size 18 and have double chins...... she has spent approx £9000 on plastic surgery. Face lift, certainly and botox.

I am with Nigella. Keep my curves and my wrinkles are less. Alternative get thin, look twenty years older and end up spending a load of money on getting a dummy's face, sans expression.

If I had £9k going free, I would travel rather than 'try' and make myself look younger.

I suppose more or less, I am not unhappy being 'me'.

So who are you with, Nigella or Anne. My oldest friend would go with  Anne that is for sure.

I don't think that Anne R is ugly at all. I think that she is attractive enough, but cannot help wondering what she would have looked like if she had let nature take it's course.

Dame Helen, well always thought she was such a plain girl, and now a lot more attractive than I think that she ever was.

I'm never going to look like either of them and so what?  I haven't used make-up since I was in my teens, have never dyed my hair and only have it cut every couple of years when I find somebody who'll do it for nothing.  I just do not get the beauty thing at all.  How marvelous not to have had a career where such things mattered and where people judge you because of your looks.  It must be a real bore but I guess these women who let surgeons chop them up and stitch them back up again, and pump their bodies full of chemicals,  think it's worth it for the fame and fortune.

Beautiful is good of course, but anyone who pays for the knife to alter it is course of no longer real,
real beauty is on the inside anyway, give me the real thing, warts and all;
(Helen is OK but Marilyn still takes it).
Ann is not my kind of beauty on the inside, and certainly got what she paid for,
Nigella, mmmm that outfit, . . . both better before becoming very strange . . . .[+o(]

Marilyn went under the knife before she became famous, something to do with her chin. Even Marion (John Wayne went under the knife too).

I don't dye my hair either coops. I do get it cut regularly though and have been known to do it my self, but haven't for several years now. Could I say I would never go under the knife, no, I couldn't. IF we won the super millions in a lottery there is one bit of me I would get changed, but that is it and it isn't my face.

Maybe going a little off-topic but as you might imagine, as a maxillo-facial surgeon I've done my fair share of remedial work for victims of trauma or disease in an attempt to make their appearance less socially ostracising.

It always (and still does) struck me as odd that we are so quick to judge by appearance and the pressure that those with unfortunate facial disfigurements feel in normal relations. I can understand why someone would feel the need to alter their appearance, particularly those whose lives are lived in the vacuous glare of the camera.

I apply the stuck in a lift test: would I rather spend 12 hrs stuck in a lift with a vacuous but notionally attractive bimbo or would I rather have the company of an intelligent, sympathetic person? By that reckoning I'd take Jo Brand over a lad's mag inflatable object any day of the week and twice on Sundays!

I'm with you on this JK although as a woman I can think of men I would rather be stuck in a lift with than Jo Brand. The trouble is the pressure on women to 'improve' their appearance and the assumption that improvement means younger is great. I first became aware of this when my daughter-in-law bought me anti-wrinkle cream as a gift on two consecutive Christmases.

Hoddy

[quote user="JK"] I apply the stuck in a lift test: would I rather spend 12 hrs stuck in a lift with a vacuous but notionally attractive bimbo or would I rather have the company of an intelligent, sympathetic person? By that reckoning I'd take Jo Brand over a lad's mag inflatable object any day of the week and twice on Sundays![/quote]

Are we limited to just one choice, how about Kelly and Mariella[:P]

[quote user="Hoddy"]Hurtful too. I'll admit it was easier to laugh it off the first time ........ Hoddy[/quote]

Presumably she had consulted your son and he had confirmed that it was your desired gift . . .[6]

[quote user="cooperlola"]The second time I think I'd have poured it all on her christmas pud.[/quote]

A bit harsh perhaps,[:D]  I do see all round the way fashion, media and families conspire to mould women to achieve 'beauty' to the point of nausea, perhaps her thoughts were along these lines for your personal satisfaction or maybe she is focussed on beauty herself? . .

PS
I have just been reminded that I am unreconstructed cro-magnon man, and that I have forgotten to include Patsy alias Joanna

[quote user="JK"]Maybe going a little off-topic but as you might imagine, as a maxillo-facial surgeon I've done my fair share of remedial work for victims of trauma or disease in an attempt to make their appearance less socially ostracising. It always (and still does) struck me as odd that we are so quick to judge by appearance and the pressure that those with unfortunate facial disfigurements feel in normal relations. I can understand why someone would feel the need to alter their appearance, particularly those whose lives are lived in the vacuous glare of the camera. I apply the stuck in a lift test: would I rather spend 12 hrs stuck in a lift with a vacuous but notionally attractive bimbo or would I rather have the company of an intelligent, sympathetic person? By that reckoning I'd take Jo Brand over a lad's mag inflatable object any day of the week and twice on Sundays![/quote]

I wanted to commend you for saying this because it certainly sounds like you are a "thinking" man. However thinking about it from my (womans) point of view, being stuck in a lift with George Clooney for 12 hours has a certain ring to it.[Www] Not sure what that sas about me! [:D]

I don't see attractiveness as an exclusion to social intercourse, just not a prime mover. I should think Mr Clooney would be an excellent companion in my hypothetical lift situation.

If I may take this even further OT my 5 companions of choice would be:

Stephen Fry

Sue Perkins

Desmond Tutu

Sanjeev Bhaskar

Kate Adie

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="idun"] there is one bit of me I would get changed, but that is it and it isn't my face.[/quote]

The mind boggles . . .

[/quote]

And not my boobs either[:$]

If I had bad scarring or burns would I? Yes more than likely I would.    If I was disfigured in some other way? Possibly.

My friends daughter with a hare lip and cleft palet, cannot think a better reason to have work done and beautifully done it was too.

These things I speak of on here are for 'beauty' and I think, vanity. And I'm not above putting on a bit of makeup doing my hair and having people tell me I look nice, because sometimes it is 'nice' to get out of scruffs and painting clothes and feel 'nice'. So I can be a bit vain, but I wouldn't read too much into that. I never think I look twenty again or that I am drop dead gorgeous.

Joe Brand, yes she does make the best of her face, good make up when on TV. I'd rather be stuck in a lift with her than a bimbo. Or with a humorous, quick whitted man, than say George Clooney. LOL I had written that before reading WJT's post. I once, when a girl fell for the most gorgeous young man, looked just like a very famous actor. I even managed the dullest date ever with him. He was boring and had nothing interesting about him and for all looking at him was 'lovely' I had no desire to go out with him again. I also learned an important lesson that I needed far more in my life than a 'pretty boy'.

[quote user="JK"]I don't see attractiveness as an exclusion to social intercourse, just not a prime mover. I should think Mr Clooney would be an excellent companion in my hypothetical lift situation. If I may take this even further OT my 5 companions of choice would be: Stephen Fry Sue Perkins Desmond Tutu Sanjeev Bhaskar Kate Adie[/quote]

I like this.

Charlie Brooker, Simon Hoggart, Jon Stewart, Aaron Sorkin, Germaine Greer

I think we should start a thread on this subject as it's rather fun.  I had trouble getting it down to five.