UK Tuition Fees.

pachapapa

As far as I am aware, if it goes up it would not affect the fee that those who are signed up already. Won't affect those starting this autumn either, they will pay the current fee level for all their course.

My friend has just finished her first year and her fees will not rise either.

They do go up every year, though. My youngest was paying £3000 3 years ago. Last year/this year (although he paid a reduced fee because he was/is on an industrial placement) the full fee would have been £3290. He's just had his notification of next year's fees and it's £3375.

So, although his (and most other) University intends to charge £9000 from 2012, that could increase still further in subsequent years.....

My brother has two children at Imperial - I wonder if they will ever work.

One just bought an old motorcycle and realised the rectifier was broken, and a new one cost 70 quid so he was going to make one.

So I guess he learned something...

I suppose it will be considered irrelevant to this thread because my contribution will (yet again) fail to mention the word "Imperial", but apparently I was told that in at least one field of engineering, the professional body is announcing that they anticipate around 135 applicants for every available graduate position this year.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]I suppose it will be considered irrelevant to this thread because my contribution will (yet again) fail to mention the word "Imperial", but apparently I was told that in at least one field of engineering, the professional body is announcing that they anticipate around 135 applicants for every available graduate position this year.
[/quote]

The best institutions will attract more applicants; not much sense saving £ 500 per year and ending up with a pass degree from the Strechford College of Technology.[I]

Oh, I see. Silly me.[:D] Of course they'll attract more applicants. Some, however, won't get in. Some (heaven forfend) won't want to go to Imperial in the first place..... I know, I know, hard to believe, isn't it?

I was at an interesting conference (Institute of Civil Engineers) about 10 years back and the President was saying how he had noticed that the "half life" (no idea why he called it a half life instead of just saying the importance) of a degree had dropped significantly in the years that he had been in the profession. With another ten years having passed, in which technology has leapt forward even faster, I wonder how important the degree actually is now. I guess it gets somebody that first or second job, but after that it must be experience that counts.

Two points.

1.  Tuitions fees in the UK vary depending on where you are resident.

2.   Perhaps there is a need to have students sponsored by companies through their university course or to increase the number of apprenticeships so people can be trained to do vital jobs at a cost they can afford

[quote user="JohnM"]I was at an interesting conference (Institute of Civil Engineers) about 10 years back and the President was saying how he had noticed that the "half life" (no idea why he called it a half life instead of just saying the importance) of a degree had dropped significantly in the years that he had been in the profession. With another ten years having passed, in which technology has leapt forward even faster, I wonder how important the degree actually is now. I guess it gets somebody that first or second job, but after that it must be experience that counts.[/quote]

It's the ICE that's now saying they'll have 130-odd applicants for every job.  I just read in today's Independent on the train (where I left it) that there will be something like 53 graduate applicants for every one job this year, anyway.

I didn't see that. I suppose the trouble is that most big civils projects are government and there isn't the money. I hope things do pick up soon, it gives a false impression of the current value of that degree. (I can see that the half life will drop, but not that much).

After 4 years at Imperial a course in management would help the engineer's promotion prospects.

Just an extra full time year at the Cass Business School sounds suitable.

How about the fees then......

....The MBA tuition fee for the next intake is £31,000. This is payable in two instalments, with the £2,500 deposit payable on acceptance.

Wow! So that makes a total of £ 67,000 !

I must ask my brother how much it has cost him, my niece just finished at Imperial. My brother and his wife got the Royal Box for the ceremony (good job I wasn't there). My niece now tells me I must address her with the following bumf added BEng MA Msc DIC ACGI whatever that means. I told her to get a job...

[quote user="Dog"]My niece now tells me I must address her with the following bumf added BEng MA Msc DIC ACGI whatever that means. I told her to get a job...[/quote]

LOL That's fine when it's recently acquired or when having family banter with aged relatives, but why do some people insist on mentioning their qualifications (and or job title) in "inappropriate" situations. I heard one of the radio the other day and instead of listening to what he had to say, I was thinking "you silly, pompous a***, why do you etc etc etc...."

John (Law & Promise, Knots, Map & Compass, Local Knowledge, Photography, 6 mile hike and Advanced Scout Standard)

[quote user="Dog"]I must ask my brother how much it has cost him, my niece just finished at Imperial. My brother and his wife got the Royal Box for the ceremony (good job I wasn't there). My niece now tells me I must address her with the following bumf added BEng MA Msc DIC ACGI whatever that means. I told her to get a job...[/quote]

DIC Diploma Imperial College.

ACGI Associate City & Guilds Institute.

In my days there were only the three constituent colleges; Royal School of Mines, Royal College of Science; all awarding an Associateship in addition to the University of London Degree.

Nowadays things have mightiliy changed with Imperial now a University and Faculties extending across West London like an octopus.

Next brush with improving himself for PPP was visits to Wolverhampton for the BA Mod Langs Joint Hons in German and French.

Wolverhampton seem to be proposing £ 8,500 per year for their 2012 tuition fees but a review of their Prospectus indicates that serious language studies are no longer pursued at this Institution of Learning. They would appear to be now competing with Assimil and Linguaphone. So it looks like the routing via Bridgnorth will change to Kidderminster.

The University of Birmingham seem to be flush with serious language courses but their proposed fees for 2012 are £ 9,000 per year, so that will be another £ 36,000.[:)]

[quote user="Pickles"]Why not look at the OU language degrees?

regards
Pickles (ARCS)
[/quote]

The post is written in the past tense and at the time 1987 Wolverhampton was the easiest drive from Ludlow in Shropshire.

Whilst the pending changes to University Tuition fees is the principal thrust of the thread, in 1987 the fees were marginally less than £ 300 per year.

At that time it was impossible to obtain a grant in respect of  undergraduate course if one had already received one for an earlier completed undergraduate course.

As Italian and Portuguese were available as supplementary modules in addition to the French and German, it seemed fairly reasonable.

• 2 months later...

The International Trade Law Module studied in conjunction with the BA(Hons) Modern Language Course led to an interest in UK Law.

So the Common Professional Examination seemed the right choice for PPP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Professional_Examination

What a bargain with similar content to a degree in law.

The City University Law School, a sister institution to the Cass Business School, looks suitable.

http://www.city.ac.uk/law