Keep your dirty knickers away from my towels!!

woolybanana

Clearly, none of that applies to those of us who live in France and rely on a fosse because we can't use bleach and so detergents containing bleach  (as recommended in the article) are a no-no.

Oh well, I need bother myself no further with this so-called "essential" advice then.

Actually I have never understood why anyone would wash dirty clothes under 40°C anyway apart from delicate materials such as silk or wool on 30°C. You need hot water to clean stuff just as you do your washing up. Many modern materials cannot be washed over 40°C because it damages the fabric structure but wherever I can, I do all the sheets,towels,teatowels and all linen and cottons on 60°C so I know they are clean. If you buy local products here in France and check they are fosse safe on the back thenthere is no danger to your system. What you should never do is bring "foreign" detergents over and use them, they are not designed for your local use.

We use 40 degrees for most of our clothes, and a 'spot' stain removed to deal with marks, applied before hand - none of us particularly dirty jobs or jobs where stringent hygene is required. I'm not sure todays fashion fabrics were made for a 60 degree washes

Towels and tea towels are used to dry clean bodies and dishes aren't they ? I usually use 60 degrees for them......but in anycase we have our 'own' towels and our washing isn't mixed either.....

I knew this. I usually wash most things at 50° and towels at 95° if I keep them to one side and get a load.

I use napisan regularly. It not longer contains bleach and does not destroy or tache anything.

My SIL has been very good recently, or so she thought and has done all her washing at 30°, the washer ended up with a disgusting slime in it, and eventually all over the clothes. Which, as she is a very fussy person horrified her. Now they are rid of the slime, they wash at a far higher temperature.

Aren't we lucky to have the Daily Mail. And aren't we fortunate that it employs English graduates to tell us the kernal truth in a 37 page long scientific review paper.

What really surprises me however, is they didn't take the opportunity to grab our attention with more headlines like "Not Ironing Increases MRSA Death Risk" or "Hanging Out Washing Saves Lives". Both of which are reasonable (in DM terms) given the content of the original paper.

The Conclusions of the original paper contains the following:

"... Unfortunately, the data is not sufficient to make any quantitative assessment of the risks in terms of the impact of promoting effective laundry practices on disease rates. Although it seems likely that the risk is significant, the “daily life risks” are probably somewhat less than those associated with hands, hand contact and food contact surfaces and cleaning cloths which are seen as the key routes of infection transmission.

The extent to which outer clothing might ... act as a vehicle for transmission from one person to another during daily life is impossible to assess from the available data. Although there is a possibility that this could occur, further studies  ... are needed to assess whether there is evidence of real risk ..."

The original paper was posted on 1 April (though I don't think that that is significant) so it is clear that the DM has its finger on the pulse of cutting-edge science.

Yes, yes, yes, Russethouse.

I've been saying that for ages.

So good to read that someone else thinks along the same lines.

I remember being in hospital after my first baby and it was a very strict rule - nobody, but nobody sat on a patient's bed (except the patient of course).

Matron didn't allow it!!!

Come back, Matron, all is forgiven!

I second that comment.When I was a slip of a thing,Cod Liver Oil and Malt extract were order of the day.Tasted awful but it set us up for coping with the "bugs"? that my generation used to get as kids,so much so in the mid 70's when our 2 daughters were very young,we gave them Sco...s Emulsion.They hated it but I would like to think it done the trick.

[quote user="Joe"]I second that comment.When I was a slip of a thing,Cod Liver Oil and Malt extract were order of the day.Tasted awful but it set us up for coping with the "bugs"? that my generation used to get as kids,so much so in the mid 70's when our 2 daughters were very young,we gave them Sco...s Emulsion.They hated it but I would like to think it done the trick.[/quote]

The best protection you could have given your daughters would have been to breast feed them (or to ensure that they were breast fed).

- Joe -

Aaaaaggghhhh - S---ts Emulsion - oh yuk      Oh G-d Almighty - I can taste the stuff even now - oh how it made me feel sick.    Refused in the end to touch it - revolting stuff.    Cod liver oil - went on strike over that as well after 2 years of the stuff....   Malt extract - oh yummy - that I didn't mind.  

Shows how deep my hatred of S---ts Emulsion can be;   there are some newish cars around which, for whatever disgusting reason, have come out of the factory actually painted that appalling, revolting nausea inducing shade of sickly pukey pale green....    Whenever I see one it brings back the taste of that S---s Em - it really does make me feel physically sick when I see that colour.    Amazing what sensory memories our brains have....unfortunately for me where that particular memory is concerned.

Thanks a bunch Joe for mentioning the dreaded S----ts Em - not very friendly !!

Chessie