Where did you fit in ?

Bugsy

2,587,777,515 - just hit 60 but I'm the youngster so far!

The ramifications of this explosion in population is far from amusing however. I fear for my 3 kids in 20 to 30 years time. I (sorry we) wanted them and felt that we could afford  to bring them up without recourse to the state. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to all families!

2,939,637,647th ...

Now ... given that I was born at 6pm on a lovely September day [:$] ... Does that mean that all the others also born on that same day before or after me are also the 2,939,697,947th [8-)]

Between my birthdate and that of my last born some 1,960,891,577 more came to this world ! That's near enough another 2 billions and I was only 27 when she was born ...

7 billions [blink] ... How come the earth has not dropped off its axis/orbit with all that extra weight and given that there is an epidemic of obesity in the western world [8-)]

Plenty to be pondering and wondering on whilst taking a bath [:)]

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

2326194010…    I wonder what it would have been if people had not been influenced by medieval religious thinking?

[/quote]

Rather more, I imagine.  The birth-rate in countries traditionally associated with [cue sinister music]  'mediæval religious thinking'  is rather low…

Rather more, I imagine.  The birth-rate in countries traditionally associated with [cue sinister music]  'mediæval religious thinking'  is rather low…

The highest birth rates are in sub-Saharan countries like Mali and Niger, both of which are almost 100% Islamic.

What do you know about the treatment of women in such places? Case proved!  [6]

[quote user="idun"]

I just looked horrified at population control. About time that the people of this planet controlled the population.

[/quote]

Great idea - a good start would be to let famine and other "natural" disasters take their toll.

No more child allowances and other benefits that encourage profligate breeding..

Compulsory sterilisation of great swathes of poor - they are of no use to anyone.

But doubtless the do-gooders won't see the sense of these measures.

John

At the time of Live Aid (85 one) I refused to put in to a collection in a club that I belonged to and my reasoning was that they will receive food, have the energy to reproduce more and then be forgotten or the larger population would be an even larger problem. The starving peoples are still there.

In addition, there have been no large scale wars of late where the young men go off and fight and die meaning that population growth must cease.

Muslims have been cited as increasing the population due to their attitudes to women - what about the large religion that has a Worldwide following in which they do not allow contraception.

And yes, the benefits system in this country. I know of young girls who get pregnant and then say 'the council will have to give me a house'.

Paul

[quote user="Mr Ice-ni"][quote user="idun"]

I just looked horrified at population control. About time that the people of this planet controlled the population.

[/quote]

Compulsory sterilisation of great swathes of poor - they are of no use to anyone.

John

[/quote]I think a certain Mr Adolf Hitler would agree with this although perhaps he might have gone further than just sterilisation