Seems to be the season for the demise...

YCCMB

...of the larger-than-life. Sad to see that Clarissa Dickson-Wright has died. Her Desert Island Discs had me howling with laughter and amazed she was still alive even then, being the child of a family of alcoholics and a recovering alcoholic herself.

Another person of strong views, not always the most widely accepted or acceptable, I loved her as half of the "Two Fat Ladies" - whose cooking launched the catchphrase "Lard!" in our house.

Another person who seemed to remain true to herself and her beliefs and didn't really give a *** what anyone else thought of her.

She was one of the privileged class who was also academic and I think wanted to leave a mark on this world. She has, and I applaud her for the fact that she did it her way. 

Wooly, with your command of Greek (usually acquired through a privileged background),  I am a little surprised that  you are somewhat against another member of the privileged class (A Benn) who did it his way.

My profound apologies if I have read too much into your comment.

I had to go and look it up, but I remember being open-mouthed when I heard her full name. I have no idea what her parents were thinking, but she is(was)

Clarissa Theresa Philomena Aileen Mary Josephine Agnes Elsie Trilby Louise Esmerelda Dickson Wright.

Indeed fortunate that she didn't live in France. I can imagine it would get a bit tedious with all the form-filling.

Yes, another "icon" gone - sadly at not a huge old age .. but her joie de vivre must have been worth a  few years, surely.

I loved 2 Fat Ladies, if only because it challenged the PC culture - and they made you laugh - and they so loved what they did, and it was a delightful way to relax after a hard days work, even if you had no intention of cooking any of their recipes!. 

Oh dear, only just caught up with this sad news.

I liked her countryside programmes, stumping around with Johnny whatsit praising all those rural pursuits that are now so mimsily un-PC.

But

Clarissa Theresa Philomena Aileen Mary Josephine Agnes Elsie Trilby Louise Esmerelda Dickson Wright.. Wow.

Maybe her parents named her after an upper-class netball team? ?

Angela

As I said before, I was amazed and enthralled by her "Desert Island Discs". Not the choice of music, which I can't remember at all, but the anecdotes. Apparently, she was quite ill after recovering from alcoholism and went for some tests. The consultant saw her and asked if she had lived extensively abroad, and she replied that she hadn't. He said that she appeared to be suffering from the sort of quinine poisoning which was typical of someone who had taken malaria tablets over a period of many years. She asked if it could also be the sort of quinine poisoning that might be typical of someone consuming the amount of tonic necessary to dilute around two to three bottles of gin a day.......

[quote user="Loiseau"]Oh dear, only just caught up with this sad news. I liked her countryside programmes, stumping around with Johnny whatsit praising all those rural pursuits that are now so mimsily un-PC. But Clarissa Theresa Philomena Aileen Mary Josephine Agnes Elsie Trilby Louise Esmerelda Dickson Wright.. Wow. Maybe her parents named her after an upper-class netball team? ? Angela[/quote]

Angela, I do have a guilty secret regarding Clarissa D-W.

There was a time when Wooly claimed that he was looking for a good woman, specifically somebody who could make pies.  You, of course, fulfill that criteria admirably.

Howerver, I didn't know you then and Cooperlola and I reckoned that Clarissa D-W would suit, only we couldn't persuade Wooly to make any move such as contacting her via the BBC!

I remember telling him that she would make him all the pies he wanted by day and would keep his bed warm by night.

And, yes, she was what they'd call a card

Betty,

Kenny Rogers-The Gambler, Chopin-Etude in G flat major, Bill Haley and His Comets-Rock Around the Clock, John McFadyen-Lament for Donald Ban Maccimmon, Dooly Wilson-As Time Goes By, Boney M-Rasputin, Verdi-Liambo ne lieti calci from La traviata, Aled Jones-Dear Lord and Father of Mankind. (forgive misspellings) Also available on i-player.

David

[quote user="dwmcn"]

Judith,

We sytill have the 'Two' Hairy Bikers.

David

[/quote]

Yes, David, but I cannot get on with them at all ... just too scruffy ....

2 fat ladies was just the most perfect representation of British eccentricity at its best.

I enjoyed her public persona - and I suspect her private persona was exactly the same. She obviously had an incredible brain but I read her book and found her quite matter-of-fact descriptions of her earlier life - abusive, alcoholic father, etc, very sad.

[quote user="Loiseau"]QUOTE Sweet17 "...Cooperlola and I reckoned that Clarissa D-W would suit, only we couldn't persuade Wooly ..." Sweets, I think she would have been perfect for him in every way! ??? And a good armful into the bargain. Angela[/quote]

Angela, how you make me laugh...haven't managed to stop yet!