Cream tea sacrilege

NormanH

There was a discussion about this on BBC Breakfast News this morning.

I would prefer the cream on first, as a substitute for butter. To counteract the dryness of the scone.

I never liked scones anyway, apart from the fruit scones my Gran used to make for birthday parties.

Split in half, buttered, and a coin wrapped in greaseproof paper inside.

Or drop scones.

I read a comment in the paper that the owner of the error was made to walk over the Tammar bridge to where they serve them that way.

Personally the jam being stickier than the cream its easier to load jam first.

Invert scone before eating so cream and jam hit the palate first, whole different way to much enjoyment

I’m with Hoddy.

I prefer jam first, so that I can pile loads of cream on top. Scones do seem to be heavy and dry nowadays, instead of being beautifully light.

One of the worst is John Lewis restaurant, I gave up on them they were so heavy and dry - and their cheese scones were even worse. ?

So true, Betty.  Where I come from, rhymes with bone, hubby t'other way!

As for preparing the object itself - there IS ONLY one way - scone, butter (no use at all without THAT!) - jam and finally a topping of cream ... 'cos that way you can put on lots and lots of cream.

Eating it of course, is another matter entirely!

Mmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT6W55QosPA

The guy gets the pronunciation wrong (definitely not from Devon or north of the Watford gap), doesn't use butter, puts jam first.

In my defense the jam looks runnier than the cream in this case.

Ooops - Cornwall,

Firstly, Skown, just sounds wrong, skon! Yes!

And there are far too many scones served up that are not up to scratch. Wouldn't matter what was put on first, still wouldn't make them as good as they simply should be!

We went to a cafe the other day and I asked if the scones were fresh and the cheeky, and ignorant madam who was serving said that they were freshly made and then frozen and got out fresh every day, so actually not fresh scones, and as you can tell I differentiate between scones and all my other baking.

Scones take two minutes, well about four to make and 12 to bake, so what excuse is there for them not to be freshly made daily.

I judge every tea room and cafe by it's scones, if they cannot make good ones, I will never go again.

As long as there is lovely clotted cream for a superlative scone, then this truly is much ado about nothing, no matter which side of the river one is from.

Ps, I do know that there are yeast scones, and they take a little longer to make.

Truth is that good scones fresh from the oven, that have just cooled are delicious with lovely butter and maybe a good quality preserve.

Whether they be, with cherries, plain, or with dried fruits.

Some people like booze, or gardening or fishing etc etc, me I just 'love' baking and eating good scones ?and hopefully have as good when I eat out!

I am envisioning the scenario where there are 2 groups of people on the banks of the River Tamar.

From one bank hard skons are hurtling to the other bank at great speed causing maximum damage, whilst soft fluffy scownes are gently floating towards the other bank.