Did Corbyn really say "Stupid woman"?

nomoss

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite right Norman, at last some sense on this thread.  I understand Betty's post, of course I do, I'm a WOMAN, but it was the stupid (which JC unmistakably said, lip reading you know), which I found interesting to have been quietly "forgotten" in all the furore.

Just that the word "woman" is more powerful than "man" or "boy" seems a bit bizarre and weak to me.

However I don't speak for all men, even though the journalist appears to speak for all women.

Really don't know where being left, right or centre comes into it though. If anything its probably a more right wing trait methinks.

Well, what a strange world we now live in, with everybody giving their expert opinion on whether Corbyn called a prime minister who is hell-bent on making the country poorer in any way that she can, a 'stupid woman', Johnson is cleared of calling all muslim women letter boxes. How very strange indeed.

mint, many thanks for your best wishes. I have been sweating it out for three months on some spots that they found on my last scan, but thankfully last week my scan showed that they had not grown, so they have been deemed benign. I hope that you and Mr mint have a far better Christmas that you had last year, as you were going through a rough patch this time last year.

Bonne santé. [:D]

Theresa May cynically reinstates Tory MP currently under police investigation for raping a woman:

Mainstream media reaction: "Meh"

Jeremy Corbyn mutters ambiguous phrase after Tory MPs invoke a pantomime chorus in Parliament:

Mainstream media's reaction: "MISOGYNIST!!!"

Where are the feminists in reply to:

Burton MP Andrew Griffiths resigned from the front bench and was

suspended in July, after admitting sending thousands of sexually

explicit texts to much younger women. He has said that he intends to

vote for Theresa May.

Dover MP Charlie Elphicke was suspended late last year over alleged sexual offences involving two female members of his staff.

I suspect you find it unpalatable when Trump supporters, faced with the constant stupidity of their leader, simply resort to "yeah but, no but, yeah but, yeah but...Democrats do it too.....lock up Hillary"

I don't recall anyone saying what you've drawn attention to is right or acceptable, but it actually has nothing to do with the discussion regarding Corbyn. And his initials may be JC but he's still not the messiah.

There are many issues here.

Is it against parl. rules to say 'stupid woman' about another MP?
Is it misogynistic to call someone a woman?
Is Mrs. May stupid?

How bad is it to lie about what was said? If he was lying.
If he was lying, was this a worse lie than all those peddled by the pro leavers in 2016?

etc etc.

Well Betty:

Still struggling, chaps?

Having read the article, yes.

I view women no differently to men. The last two people I employed were women. In each case there were men that I was also interviewing. So why did the women get the jobs? Because they were the best candidates and nothing else.

I get mad when the woman (can I use that) says that 'she is a single parent and struggling to make ends meet'. I am not mad at her but that the man has cleared off and takes no responsibility for the children and they are therefore supported by the taxpayer.

Please do not tar everyone with the same brush.

I'm not tarring anyone with any brush. To be honest, I'm simply stepping up and presenting the alternative point of view. Why? Because the first part of this thread consists entirely of male posters having a snigger about it or effectively saying "move along, nothing to see here" and finding it funny in a schoolboy-behind-the-bike sheds way that some women might find it strange (if not actually offensive) that "harridan" -a word used exclusively about women, as it has no other commonly accepted meaning in present times -should be deemed acceptable. And let's all have a titter about "shrew", too, shall we? And all the other derogatory terms for a female that essentially have no male equivalent.

If you go right back to the beginning of this thread, you might note that at no stage did I actually call into question the whole "what did Jezza say?" issue. I did say that it looked to me like he said "woman", sans plus. I took issue with the concept that it's generally deemed OK to use derogatory terms about women that have no equivalent for men, which in my personal opinion IS offensive, because it demonstrates just what a crock of s h I t the whole "equality" malarkey still is.

And I've sat in boardrooms and listened to directors of blue-chip companies question the need to promote women who "are only going to get pregnant and leave" ...I've even had a corporate lawyer ask me, face to face, after interviewing a (male) candidate with me, if I thought the candidate was (and I quote verbatim here)"a shirt lifter ".

So, Paul, I've seen and heard it all over the years. From the above examples to being told personally that, although a woman couldn't do X or Y job, I could, because I was "different" (that one being the equivalent to telling your black mate that you're not keen on dark-skinned people but he's your friend so it doesn't count). And yet I certainly don't tar everyone with the same brush. I just try to point out that until people take a closer look at their own attitudes, the pretence that we are becoming more enlightened and inclusive is just that. Jeez, I remember more people on here flying off the handle when a poster kept referring to Gordon Brown as a "one-eyed Jock" (yes, I think that's pretty offensive too) than have taken exception to the use of words like "harridan" and "shrew", preferring instead to feign ignorance (or perhaps it's genuine ignorance?) and ask "what's wrong with the word "woman"? Or "ooh, I'd better stop using "stupid" now, if it's not PC."

I didn't realise for some time that you referred to the word I chose to describe TM.

It simply came to me as an apt description for the image in my mind of her leaning forward, eyes narrowed and mouth twisted, shouting at the top of her voice. I actually thought the word came from mythology, and imagined a disturbed creature defending its nest.

If I had been referring to a man shouting at a woman I would have used a male - oriented derogatory term. There are plenty of those, probably some only known to women [:D]

I don't want to wander any further into this linguistic quagmire [8-)]

"....It simply came to me as an apt description for the image in my mind of her leaning forward, eyes narrowed and mouth twisted, shouting at the top of her voice...."

"....an unpleasant woman, especially an older one, who is often angry and often tells other people what to do..."

Seems to fit for me.

Goodness - and I've been accused of having a chip on my shoulder.

As said previously,my OH has had similar "boardroom issues", though people would not have dared argue with her.

IMHO disability issues are falling behind issues that have definitely improved in UK from those of our generation.

France is different to UK? OH certainly thinks so.

[quote user="richard51"]"....It simply came to me as an apt description for the image in my mind of her leaning forward, eyes narrowed and mouth twisted, shouting at the top of her voice...."

"....an unpleasant woman, especially an older one, who is often angry and often tells other people what to do..."

Seems to fit for me.

Goodness - and I've been accused of having a chip on my shoulder.

As said previously,my OH has had similar "boardroom issues", though people would not have dared argue with her. IMHO disability issues are falling behind issues that have definitely improved from those of our generation.[/quote]

Of course fits it’s the correct word to use. Our friend Betty has a huge chip on her shoulder.