Car accident

woolybanana

'I agree that it was very fortunate, but I am still surprised that a Kia could overturn a Land Rover, unless the LR has a very high CofG, or was already swerving to the left for some reason - perhaps to avoid a car coming from the right?'

So you have a 1 tonne weight (at least) travelling at 60mph then a hell of a force at impact.

[quote user="nomoss"]
[quote user="BritinBretagne"]An answer to 1 above. I believe that it was very fortunate that the Kia hit the Land Rover in a way that caused it to roll as that would have taken a lot of energy out of the collision. If the Freelander had stayed put the consequences could have been much worse.

With all the talk of the sun I’d never considered that the Kia was travelling south.[/quote]

I agree that it was very fortunate, but I am still surprised that a Kia could overturn a Land Rover, unless the LR has a very high CofG, or was already swerving to the left for some reason - perhaps to avoid a car coming from the right?

Re. your second point, from the initial reports I somehow understood that D/E was driving from Sandringham, turning left (South) - into the sun, but I couldn't understand how the LR ended up in its final position unless he crossed the road and was hit by the Kia travelling North.

However, if the Australian paper's diagram is correct, and looking at the junction on Google Earth, the D/E was crossing two lanes coming from his right, and possibly looking down them, into the sun, when the accident occurred.

[/quote]

All I meant was that I’d presumed that the car hecappears to have pulled out just in front of was coming out of the sun. If not the sun is a red herring.

I've been wondering from the beginning, at what time of day did this all happen?

It seems to me that there was quite some delay before Plod arrived, so is it possible that stories were discussed and agreements reached beforehand?

It's not even clear if anyone else was in D/E's car.

Come on everybody.

It was an accident. Accidents occur, most if not all of us have been involved in one. Sometimes our fault, sometimes the other party.

If the DoE was at fault, then its a matter for him, his family and the police to determine what action to take. Happily, nobody seriously hurt.

He’s a bloody-minded individual (and there’s no problem with that IMO), but, in the light of subsequent well publicised pictures, a bloody fool.

There you go ......... bang goes my knighthood.

[quote user="nomoss"]
I agree that it was very fortunate, but I am still surprised that a Kia could overturn a Land Rover, unless the LR has a very high CofG,
[/quote]

Well it does have a bit of a high CofG but car fronts are made to protect pedestrians so not to hit them square on they push them up and onto the bonnet hence they can also submarine other objects.

One old boy I knew hit a 60mm box section steel constructed garage door and totaled the door completely, pushed it back 18". Expected to find all the fluids on the road but just a slightly misplaced bumper we clipped back in!  Damn good some of those Korean cars! 

[quote user="Gardian"]Come on everybody.

It was an accident. Accidents occur, most if not all of us have been involved in one. Sometimes our fault, sometimes the other party.

If the DoE was at fault, then its a matter for him, his family and the police to determine what action to take. Happily, nobody seriously hurt.

He’s a bloody-minded individual (and there’s no problem with that IMO), but, in the light of subsequent well publicised pictures, a bloody fool.

There you go ......... bang goes my knighthood.[/quote]

If somebody is unable to no longer drive safely to the point that he pulls out of a side turning into the path of a passing car the situation needs to be looked at by far more people than his immediate family. What a bizarre notion. If PP is unfit to drive safely he should be prevented to do so by the laws of the land. This time he, two women and a small child were extremely lucky, next time might be a lot more severe.

It’s got nothing to do with his position and is not ageism but if he is unfit to be in the road he must be kept off it.

In probably the craziest country we have lived in, Iran, right of way at road junctions went to the car on the widest road. Teheran had some wide new residential streets joining the narrower "main" roads, which demanded attention, as cars coming out of them did so at speed.

At the scenes of accidents one would sometimes see policemen with tapes measuring the widths of the streets involved, so that blame could be determined.

In the same city, my wife was fined for driving with dipped headlights. The visibility was poor at the time, because of the dim street lights, many not working, but it was illegal to use headlights when they were on.

Nothing anyone does on French roads surprises us very much.

OK, hands up: of those who have been involved in a car accident where, arguably, the other party was at fault, how many have received any communication from the other party after the event to check on their wellbeing?

If not, how many of you were surprised?

And how many of you were paid by the Daily Mirror to express this in print?

Some years ago I was a passenger in a friend's car when he hit a pedestrian who ran in front of him.

The victim was an old man, and he was seriously injured, but after interviewing all the witnesses, the police were satisfied that my friend was not to blame, and he was not prosecuted.

My friend went to see the man in hospital, saw his wife also, and wanted to give them something to compensate, as they were by no means well off.

Fortunately he spoke to his insurance company first, to see if they could help. They told him that in no circumstances should he give them any money, or even apologise, as this could constitute an admittance of guilt, which could result in their having to pay out, and my friend becoming uninsurable for at least some time.

He was in tears when he told me, but realised that if he did the "decent thing" it would cause big problems for him.

[quote user=" YCCMB"]OK, hands up: of those who have been involved in a car accident where, arguably, the other party was at fault, how many have received any communication from the other party after the event to check on their wellbeing?

If not, how many of you were surprised?

And how many of you were paid by the Daily Mirror to express this in print?[/quote]

Absolutely Betty, it could be seen as an admission of fault.

News papers eh, never ever done anything wrong. I blame the reader for buying the rubbish.

• 4 weeks later...