The night train

woolybanana

The night train from Brussels to Vienna is back after many years’ absence. For those who enjoy trains and night travel, a real treat.

We should see many more of these as folks try to avoid air travel.

I remember one from Leghorn to Liege a hundred years ago. Best journey I ever made, night and day. So much to see, people to watch, sandwiches to eat, booze to guzzle.......

Oh, and a Night run from Paris to Madrid, remembered only because one was so boozed it passed in a haze of alcohol fumes! Happy days??

Never been on a long distance train on the continent but did take the night train from London to Penzance for a holiday in the Scilly Isles years ago.

Does anyone remember that service?

Seems incredible now that you could go from London to Penzance overnight and then get on a ferry (that rust bucket called the Scillonia) to reach your destination!

Nowadays, it would be considered uneconomical and unprofitable to run such a service.  Public services more or less started declining from the time of Thatcher.

I had the pleasure of being on the Orient Express, Venice to Paris overnight. .Even better I was also working so getting paid, We worked from 6-00 am in the morning till around midnight making a commercial for American Express. We had dinner at midnight and what a wonderful experience that was, we all had our own sleeper births, but the downside was that every time the train stopped and started again which was quite often I woke up with a start and thought that the train was crashing as the carriages clanked together. Still a wonderful experience. I also went from Nova Scotia to Quebec by train it took two days and all you could see was snow. I love trains and would like to do a trip to Hong Kong which is possible at certain times of the year.

Years ago, I took one of the last ‘Night Ferry’ journeys from London to Paris, then on to Dijon.

It was the dying days of the service. No more than 3 sleeping cars, no catering, sad.

It wasn’t very comfortable, noisy when loaded on to the ferry and generally ‘out of its time’.

There we are.