Norman, are you listening?

mint

I know you MUST be right, Norman, but my browser says no "add-ons" so I guess that whatever "add-ons" are, they are perhaps necessary for me to access all those luscious links you have provided.

Whilst I'm at it, I might as well own up to being one of these people who also have no sense of direction; no, I don't mean in life.  I mean when I am out and about walking or driving.

OH often despairs at how I can get so lost.  What I tell him is, well, I can't be good at EVERYTHING![8-|]

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suffered for you!!

I used Internet Explorer 9 to try to play my links[geek]

It didn't work.[:(], so you are not to blame...

I think you need to download the latest version of Flash player compatible with IE

At the top of the Youtube link there was the option 'télécharger'

perhaps you should try that.

[quote user="NormanH"]I suffered for you!!
I used Internet Explorer 9 to try to play my links[geek]
It didn't work.[:(], so you are not to blame...

I think you need to download the latest version of Flash player compatible with IE
At the top of the Youtube link there was the option 'télécharger'
perhaps you should try that.
[/quote]

Norman, I am so very touched that you suffered for me!  I can't think of anyone else who would do that!

Don't worry, I'll just use Chrome to listen to the links and I will hope that you can access the ones that I manage to put on.

Sorry, I haven't been about much:  cooking (in heat and utter frustration with the oven in the new house) for people coming for aperos tomorrow.

Like Voilet Elizabeth Bott, I could have scweamed and scweamed with frustration as I tried to do some baking but then, I went over to feed the neighbours' cat (as they are away) and the little thing was waiting patiently for me and came up to rub itself against me and now the moon (nearly full) has risen next to the church tower and it's all so beautiful and peaceful that my very soul rejoiced and I am going to shower and play some nice little tunes on my piano.

Victor Meldrew?  But I thought he was really popular...?

Sorry, Norman, cheapo dig but it IS only possible to say things like that to people you are friendly with....[:P]  I mean, you couldn't be that rude to folk you don't know, can you?

The boules tournament has been postponed because of the weather so I should be able to listen to some of your links a bit later.  BTW, some wonderful singing on French radio this morning......absolutely beautiful.

I have now managed to listen to some of your links and I just want to say thank you.

No time for more.....strange day, off and on rain.  People ringing to say could they be excused from boules, others ringing to say could they come after all and yet others that I have rung to help us eat up the nibbles.....

Now I am bushed and want to read a bit and fall asleep...

Very bright now and also very humid and heavy....

Instead of watching the proms last night, we watched an Italian film which was gently humorous and featured four elderly ladies so I felt it was right up my street....!

Hi, Coops, no I didn't catch that prom.  Must have been the night we opted to watch an Italian film instead (for OH to hear some Italian).

But, we went to a wedding some years ago and there was a small band like Tickell's and I was dead impressed with the Northumbrian pipes.  Looked devilish difficult to play, of course.

That's the best thing about the proms, you always get introduced to something unusual or avant garde.  I am not that keen on much "modern" music, but I heard a Messaien (spelling?) concert one evening by default (it was the only night that a friend and I had free) and it blew my socks away.

Yes, I enjoyed the clip!

The prom I saw was Rattle with the Berlin Phil and it was éclairs sur l'au delà so the title alone was "mysterious and contemplative"!

I think Rattle then went on to produce a CD but, as you say, to get the full effect, you need to listen live to Messiaen.  I seem to remember that on the night I counted no fewer than a dozen horn players.

And then, there were the percussion instruments whose names and origins were a complete mystery to me!

I am wrecked, utterly wrung out....between the canicule and our visitor.  No proms possible as I couldn't sit still long enough....[:(]

However, every cloud (as they say, not that we have had any clouds),..... our present from the guest was a pack of 5 cds of Janet Baker.

You name it, we've got it:  Brams (alto rhapsody), Wagner (Wesendonck-Lieder), Richard Strauss, Elgar (Sea Pictures, Dream of Gerontius), Mahler (Resurrection), Berlioz (les nuits d'été), Ravel (Shéhérazade), Chausson (Poème d l'amour et de la mer), Schubert, Schumann, Mendelsson, then Handel, JS Bach, Dowland, Campion, Purcel, Boyce, Monro, Arne.

Just thought I'd make you a teeny-weeny bit jealous?

Mein Gott, it's too hot for anything but, come the autumn and winter, I shall have a stack of new cds to make life enjoyable!

It looks like France is belatedly rediscovering the heritage of Sacred Music that was thrown out with the Revolution, and the separation of Church and State.

I haven't seen a group like this before, certainly not in any Cathedral.

They are encouragingly young as well as talented

http://www.youtube.com/user/pitonisa62#p/c/8ED5BC631C70881A/6/O4gwviP9_7A

from

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8ED5BC631C70881A

Norman, I have only just seen your posts and I shall be away for a couple of days with no internet.

But I shall look forward to watching your links on my return.

BTW, I did like Victoria's music very much indeed and I shall look at getting a CD when I have a chance to look at what's available.

No listening to a live Prom on the radio tonight. There was an anti Israel protest( the Israeli Philarmonic are playing) in the Albert Hall - lots of shouting and the broadcast was pulled from radio 3. The same thing happened in the second half.

The BBC announcer made no mention of the protest, just said it was disruption. Had to find out what was going on from Twitter.