Carte de sejour???????????????

clareS

After recent car problems I am now questioning all information received!! Our maire told us we no longer need a carte de sejour, he was going to check with the prefecture and we have heard no more!!

Anybody else know anything about this? Have they been abolished now, or are we once again illegal?

[quote]After recent car problems I am now questioning all information received!! Our maire told us we no longer need a carte de sejour, he was going to check with the prefecture and we have heard no more!! ...[/quote]

From September 2004!! Ifyou are English they now say that you do not need one, anymore!!

All that trouble we went through, a few months ago!! Ha! Ha!

We don't have to have a titre de sejour anymore. However, if you are going to be working here, then I would suggest that you apply for one anyway. Certain organisms may well ask for one, depending on where you live.

And if your prefecture says that they don't do them, well they have to. Contact the British Consulate or the french Interior ministry who will put them straight.

[quote]We don't have to have a titre de sejour anymore. However, if you are going to be working here, then I would suggest that you apply for one anyway. Certain organisms may well ask for one, depending on ...[/quote]

What is a "titre sejour"?

I know they will not  issue carte sejours in this area, no way, as from  September! A friend of ours has to take a letter to organisations that ask for one, stating the rules have now changed!

He got the letter from his accountant!

titre de séjour = carte de séjour

The carte de sejour changed it's name a couple of years ago to titre de sejour.

AND you and anyone else who wants one has every right to a titre de sejour....... as long as you qualify. Prefectures who say otherwise are incorrect, as I said, check up with the Ministre d l'Interieur or the British Consualte. The law says that they are not obligitory and not that they are no longer issued. Some functionnaires say ne porter quoi and some Prefets seem to believe that they are laws unto themselves, which they are not.

Trouble is that without an identity card like the CDS and not a proper french driving licence with your french address on it etc you have only your british passport as proof of identity when asked for it at certain checkouts when writing large cheques. When our latest CDS's run out in 7 years time I shall apply again as no way am I carting a very expensive British Passport round with me,apart from the embarressment of presenting it in front of other shoppers who will think I am a tourist, I have had a french driving licence for years but that is a pain to get out and unravel from it's holder each time. My daughter HAD by demand of the prefecture here in 29 to obtain her titre de séjour once she was 18 and was not allowed to learn to drive without it,in fact, she had to wait three weeks before she could start until it arrived and was verified by the driving school.

Hi from Redcap!

We asked at our Mairie, and they said 'don't need one as of July 04 when they received the directive'.  Even though we said we really would like one, seems they are quite happy as it's less work for them!  They photocopied the relavant directive for us, as wife questioned the need for one when she applies for a job. We intend to pop into a job agency such as Manpower and ask them if they will insist on CDS. 

regards,

Bob

Redcap, copy the law down and take that in and say that you would like one. Mistral put the link up after all. So unless you don't qualify for them, (don't think so)  then they have to sort them out for you. You can either do this via your Mairie or your Prefecture.

It is true that we are under no obligation to have them anymore, but we can have them.

If you look back through the posts you will find (unless it got lost in the coversion) that we discussed this before and that the law on CDS came in to effect on the 27th November 2003 although it often takes time for this to work it's way down to the grass roots.

TU is correct, you don't need one but you can get one if you wish or some authority asks you to get one. When we registered with the Chamber of Commerce they demanded we have one. When I pointed out that it was not a requirment he said something like 'well it is for us'. Mind you I had to get a letter from him to take to the prefecture to get one as they point blank refused on the first attempt.

I have one, but Rennes Prefecture refuse to change the address on it as "It's no longer issued to the English" (Their words, English).

My question is, if I insist on having it changed, will I HAVE to go to the Prefecture or can I insist that my Mairie does it?

Has anyone applied for a proper French Identity card? We're thinking of doing this, as I now have no ID with my current address on it.

Millymollymandy, I believe that they are perfectly within their rights to not change the address on them now. It no longer needs doing. In the past the mairie would send them off to the prefecture to get the address changed. There is no way that the Mairie can touch your card.

Even when the correct address is on your card, it was never used as proof of address anyway, I don't know of anyone who would accept other than a recent utilities bill to prove that.

Also I am always refered to as an anglaise, I can't remember anyone saying britannique to me. So I'm pretty sure that jux was right. The french I know have problems understanding the differences between welsh, scottish and irish, they are pretty sure that they are really all les anglais.

[quote]From September 2004!! Ifyou are English they now say that you do not need one, anymore!! Juxt..... surely you mean................ BRITISH! ................[/quote]

Nope...............Mean....................ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you heard the one about  "The Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman????????????

Wanted to put a funny joke here, but you'll have to wait until hubby gets home!

Le Petit Robert says

Anglais: De l'Angleterre (au sens étendu de Grande-Bretagne)

not to be confused with

Britannique: Qui se rapporte au Royaume-Uni

In other words Anglais encompasses Scottish and Welsh as well as English.

I guess it didn't mean people from Northern Ireland as they are from the United Kingdom not Great Britain, although it would be interesting to know if the French include Northern Ireland as part of their definition of Angleterre.

But (and this should probably be another thread as it's going wildly off topic!) just because 'Anglais' is used in France to describe everyone from Great Britain does it mean that we are comfortable with its' mis-use?

Absolutely, people from Northern Ireland are britannique, not anglais.

I don't think that it's misuse; rather that anglais and English don't have quite the same meanings; to say precisely that someone comes from England you would have to say "de l'Angleterre mais ni de l'Ecosse ni du Pays des Galles" or something similar.

My question is, if I insist on having it changed, will I HAVE to go to the Prefecture or can I insist that my Mairie does it?

I wouldn't try it, to be honest. When I moved from one dept to another, I went to get the address changed and they made me go through the whole process again, all the paperwork, everything It took the same amount of time as the original one, I had to pay a second time and in the end it only lasted until the moment the old one would have run out. I don't know how much of that was really necessary but I didn't really feel like fighting with the "bureau des étrangers" in marseilles

Has anyone applied for a proper French Identity card? We're thinking of doing this, as I now have no ID with my current address on it.

I'm in the process of doing this but I'm having to wait for Nantes to send me my French birth certificate before I can give them back the form. All the rest of the family have theirs, they're much quicker, cheaper and easier than CdS, but, of course you need to be French to have a French ID card.

Remember, when the authorities ask for proof of residency, they ask for an EDF bill not the CdS or ID. Most French people don't bother changing the address on their ID's