Any Jews on the Forum?

Leon

I would be most interested to find out if there are any other Jewish people on the LF forum. We have recently bought a house that we will be using as a second home until (our dream) we can move out permanently. With all the talk of extreme anti semitism in France it is obviously very upsetting and worrying to both of us. I would love to hear about first hand experience from any Jewish person that has moved to rural France and what your experience has been.

LAST EDITED ON 19-Jul-04 AT 11:42 PM (BST)

Welcome to France. I think despite the invitation from the Leader of Israel, you will enjoy France more.

A holiday home for the present will give you the opportunity to assess the situation, though we've never encountered any anti-semitic comments, or literature.

We live in Brittany in the country, and the most trouble we've encountered was a chap who backed his car into our ditch, and later someone in a car that dumped two kittens in the garden.

Julia

This is front-page in the Figaro. Apparently France is demanding an explanation of what they see as Sharon's outrageous accusation.

He says that France is the worst country in the West for anti-Semitism, and that the country's 10% Muslim population are a breeding-ground for this rampant and unbridled racism. Israel is also unhappy about a recent French diplomatic visit to Yasser Arafat, and says that France is pro-palestinien.

OTOH, while Sharon wants all Jews to return to Israel, he doesn't have that much choice on who to call next. Russian Jews are already heeding the call, American Jews are mostly quite happy where they are, so the next two big populations are Argentina (200 000) and France (600 000). There are about 2000 French Jews emigrate to Israel every year.

They end up with a quote from a juif: On n'est pas des poules mouilles. Le seul pays o l'on risque de se faire tuer parce qu'on est juif, c'est ici, en Isral. "The only country where you're likely to be killed because you're a Jew, is here in Israel."

Et voil. That's all from the Figaro.

I reckon you'll be as okay as anyone else in rural France. Problems - and there ARE problems - tend to be in the cities and the suburbs. Just like any other country, really.

Phew, I'm tired after all that typing, think I'll go back to bed.......

We are not yet living in France, so unfortunately cannot comment. But at present we live in Antwerp where there is a large and obviously visual community of Chassidim, as well as a large Reform Jewish population. We, too, have a large number of Muslim poeple . Both groups still dress in their respective costume. It is gratifying that despite many other problems, normally the groups live in harmony amongst the largely Catholic population. Let us hope you find peace and tranquility in your chosen area of France. BTW, we are Catholic, I am a guide for Antwerp Cathedral, and I work part time for a Chassid as his secretary. A great deal can be achieved by tolerance and respect for one another's beliefs.

I have never had any comments from French or ex pat communities when I say I am a Jew. My area of France does not seem to care what you are as long as you try to integrate into the community.

I am one of those rare Jews who has never been to Israel and does not want to go. This has nothing to do with my religion but all to do with politics. I might also say that I am very grateful that Israel is there and welcomes all those who wish to make the journey to live there.

Di
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

I am not Jewish but I have never heard any ant semitic remarks in this area of France. The only remarks I have ever heard of that nature were anti Arab remarks - and boy have I heard a lot of those (I am a bit bewildered by this as I have never harboured any "anti" feelings to a race but I also have never had any dealings with Arabs so really when the topic comes up have nothing to say!)
I HAVE heard and participated in discussions that are against the policies of the Israeli government.

Thank you for your comments. We have never encountered any problems in all of our visits in fact everyone is very friendly and warm. However, now that we own property and plan on living there permanently in a few years, I was very interested to hear of other's experience of living in rural France especially in light of the current situation. As I have mentioned in a PM with another poster, I have actually felt more conscience in our area of Dordogne of being English than Jewish. In any case, I am sure we will be very happy and take any problems that may arise in our stride whether we are discriminated against for being Jewish or English, hopefully neither. Just hope our problems aren't as great as Jsensiba's, already had an experience with a dog. I can see us being overrun with stray animals (unfortunately, a real softy at heart).

Mental Health ???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3904943.stm

French Jews 'must move to Israel'

France has seen a spate of attacks against Jewish targets
Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has urged all French Jews to move to Israel immediately to escape anti-Semitism.
He told a meeting of the American Jewish Association in Jerusalem that Jews around the world should relocate to Israel as early as possible.

But for those living in France, he added, moving was a "must" because of rising violence against Jews there.

France's foreign ministry said it had asked Israel for an explanation of the "unacceptable comments".

French Jewish leaders, interviewed on France-2 Television, said Mr Sharon's remarks were unhelpful.

"These comments do not bring calm, peace and serenity that we all need," said Patrick Gaubert, of the International League Against Racism and Anti-Semitism (Licra). "I think Mr Sharon would have done better tonight to have kept quiet."

"It's not up to him to decide for us," said Theo Klein, honorary president of Crif, which represents French Jewish organisations.

Trend

France has suffered a wave of anti-Semitic attacks coinciding with renewed fighting in the Middle East.

About France, on one hand we see the spread of the wildest anti-Semitism there

Ariel Sharon

"We see the spread of the wildest anti-Semitism" in France, Mr Sharon said.

The latest French government figures show 510 anti-Jewish acts or threats in the first six months of 2004 - compared to 593 for all of last year.

In recent years there have been bomb attacks against a number of synagogues and Jewish schools in France.

Jewish tombs have also been desecrated.

Mr Sharon acknowledged that the Paris government had made efforts to tackle the problem.

He added that France faced a new kind of anti-Semitism based on anti-Israeli feelings and propaganda.

He pointed out that France had a large Muslim community estimated at less than 10% of population, or about five million.

Hoax

Mr Sharon said his advice to French Jews was that moving to Israel was "a must and they have to move immediately".

Correspondents in Paris say this is not the first time that Mr Sharon has spoken about the need for French Jews to leave for Israel, but rarely has he been so blunt.

"We have immediately made contact with Israeli authorities to ask them for explanations about these unacceptable statements," said French foreign ministry spokesman Herve Ladsous.

There is reported to be irritation in France at the idea that life for Jews there is becoming dangerous - especially as the government has made every effort to show that anti-Jewish acts will be severely punished.

A week ago President Jacques Chirac rushed to condemn an apparently anti-Semitic attack on a Paris train that turned out to be a hoax.

But his haste only aggravated passions among many in the Muslim community who feel they are the instant scapegoats, observers say.

http://tlp.netfirms.com