Americans defend yourselves!

Coco

Before I tar you all with the same filthy dirty brush I would like to give those of you present on this forum the opportunity to explain why I have such bad experiences with the American race!!

So far this year I have lost 14 nights worth of rooms with Americans - to me that's 700 euros (no small sum) and in fact on one occasin by having booked a room out to an American for 5 nights it prevented me from taking a TWO room booking from a Belgian for 4 nights (makng a total of 8 nights, instead of the American's five).

So what am I complaining about? Well I think what it boils down to, is the fact that I am on the internet and therefore accessible from the good old US of A. They think that they will ensure a booking whilst in the US (unfortunately I do not have a CC facility) and then I presume when they get to France they either find something they prefer, or change their itinerary. However, the ultimate result being, that over the last two months I have had 4 lots of no-shows and they have all been from the USA. Guess who is no longer taking Americans at their word???

Has anyone else experiences this?

Incidentally, Americans have been my ONLY no-shows in just over a year now of B&B.

Coco

Coco,

Tonight we had a call from 4 Americans booked in a while ago for 3 nights from this evening.

Well we all know by now how Lance Armstrong has won a record 6th Tour de France, so we get a call at 9 p.m to tell us, "don't worry, we are just leaving Paris and will be with you soon, we've been watching Lance"

When Tina told them that they were around 4 hours away, they simply said, will you be waiting for us. She then asked why hadn't they left Paris a little earlier or indeed stayed in Paris and travelled here on Monday, "Oh no, we need to see Mount Saint Michael first thing in the morning"

It's no good we have to understand that all countries have vastly different cultures and grin and bear what doesn't seem to be "rather British" in nature.

We have told them the key is hidden somewhere (I'm not telling you lot !)and we will see them at breakfast.

We have a card machine, as you know and we get about one a year, possibly 2 in a bad year, not show up and unless they have a really good explanation as to why, they are billed under the "No Show" agrement with our bank.

Mind you Coco, the price we pay for it, we often think about elbowing it, as the French all have cheques anyway (or most should have)and we have a ATM in the nearest village (2km) for others to get some cash out.

Miki

on our experience, Americans are good clients, just now we have a family staying for 3 weeks, and in August we will have another family returning from last year.
All the American we had have appreciated the character and luxury of our Farmhouse, and have been very friendly with us. Actually all of them have invited us to stay with them if we visit.
...but then, we have been happy with Australians, Canadians, New Zealander, Italians, Israelians, Dutch, French, even British!!!!

Massimo

Chauffour gites
http://www.chauffour.com

Have you Emailed them to ask them why ?

When they book have you E mailed to say the no show charge is say 80 % of the room rate as this represents a resonable estimate of your losses thru turning down other bookings ?

My broad experience of doing business with Americans is once you accept that we do not speak the same language they are no better or worse than the rest of humanity.

I have a business where I take commissions and my principle which I always stick to is that there is NO booking until the appropriate deposit is paid and where applicable a contract exchanged.
I am often asked to "pencil in a date" but I make it quite clear the this dosn't constitute a reservation and the if I have a firm booking for the same time or date that will take president. There are times when I accept a commission and a better one turns up later but I have to refuse because I am already committed. You win some and you loose some. That's life.

Finally to paraphrase W.C.Fields and Sam Goldwyn "A verbal contract ain't worth a barrel of spit"!!!!!!!

Always, always,always take a deposit OR accept that you will be cheated (yes that is the correct word) from time to time.

Hope that this is of some help.

Les.

Being American myself and having just seen Farenheit 911 yesterday, I couldn't be MORE embarrassed to say where I'm from ! Your story doesn't really surprise me. I have lost almost all faith in my "fellow" Americans. The upcoming election will determine if I have lost ALL faith. Anyway, I would always ask for a deposit up front. No matter where they stay, they will have to reserve it with some money (or credit card). If they can't afford the exchange rate or the price to get a euro draft check or bank transfer made, they probably shouldn't be coming. Our first American renters are coming for two weeks in October. They did pay the 30% due to confirm the booking. We'll see how the rest goes. I'm must admit they are the only booking that we have had from Americans. Most are from other parts of the world. Good luck to you.