Knighthoods

Miki

Miki wrote:

I think Dick was only saying just how quick off the mark the powers that be were, compared to taking over 30 years for some of the boys of 66 to finally get their gongs.

I think I'd go further - the rugby team were fantastically popular (for a short while, though Jonny Wilkinson seems to be doing constant TV ads) and the government took the opportunity to shine a bit in their reflected glory by whacking the gongs in quickly, before the memory faded. I think the remaining 1966 squad members got theirs for a very similar reason. But, if that pleased 'the people' then I suppose it was the right thing to do. Just maybe not for the right reason, although if they are really 'people's honours' the two become difficult to disentangle. It will be interesting to see what happens now, after the Olympics.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubberduck,

Dick is not like the rest of us.  I for one will never be able to amaze and impress people at parties with a beard like that.   I am in awe.

And if he's not in the real world, he must be talking to us from another world, so maybe he really is a superior being.

Time to 'fess up, Dick (no, not fesses up!).  Alien or angel?

[quote]Sorry, uber-Ducky, I should have explained. When (if) you went to school, when you made mistakes the teacher used to put "Today's spellings" at the bottom of the page and then the words you had got wr...[/quote]

God!this brings back memories of re-doing spelling mistakes,but I do have to say that it worked well. Those in the class who didn't conform with Marilyn Richardson way of writing also had to re-do it each time until they were uniform with the rest of the class. I hated those scratchy dip and ink pens too.

Val, that brings back some memories. Who was Marilyn Richardson?

I don't think we should rubbish Dick just because he can spell, he knows where to put his apostrophes and can punctuate correctly (including using the space bar). Maybe that does make him some sort of supreme being (an in-joke there for those who saw the test version of this forum ) but he is a dying breed and should be preserved. Mind you, something would have to be done first about that haircut - I wondered why he wore a hat in his old picture.

Following on from one of Dicks points, why is it that when talking about language, in English we say 'English', 'French' etc, yet in French its 'français', 'anglais' (with the lower case initial letter)? Nothing to do with sporting knighthoods, I know, but somebody may have an answer.

>>Marilyn Richardson?<<<

Perhaps it was only Berks & Bucks but we had Marilyn Richarson handwriting books.

We also had something called 'Chelsea Readers' (did you Val ?) which I thought were brilliant, the letters of the sound you were learning were all in red type. I learned to read really quickly (having been away with measles and chicken pox in my first term, catching up was priority, in those days it was 3 weeks off school for each)

Somehow missed out on Janet & John though :-(

[quote]Val, that brings back some memories. Who was Marilyn Richardson? I don't think we should rubbish Dick just because he can spell, he knows where to put his apostrophes and can punctuate correctly (inc...[/quote]

Both languages put an initial cap on "a Frenchman/un Français" or "an Englishman/un Anglais".

English also keeps initial caps on adjectives to do with nationality and language (they're French, she's English, he's Martian). 

But in French, the rule that adjectives don't take initial caps takes precedence.

Hence "il est français"  

[quote]Dear Dick and Miki It is dificult not to notice that you cannot enter into any sort of debate. If you disagree with a topic you just try to rubbish the person who posted it. Perhaps Dick you were for...[/quote]

Dunny,

Who are you kidding, that wasn't a debate you were after, it was simply a nasty and pathetic aside at things you didn't like. Why would anyone want to enter a debate on what you were going on about?

I think many of us (including Dick and myself) debate plenty but in this case, your posting had nothing to do with "debating" just note the number of members who wanted to reply or "debate"

You kid no one with your snide and nasty digs, oh perhaps yourself excepted.

I think another saying which in this case may suit a little more would be "better read than dead"

The fee for joining the mutual admiration society is, I am afraid,  none of your biz but I can't see the black ball staying out of the bag.

Keep drinking the warm water and don't forget to put your vest on when you go outside to play, there's a good lad.............

LOL, liberty bodices, I think they should be reintroduced immediately! 

Oddly enough, my husband denies all knowledge of even having heard of them.   Were they a regional thing?   Or maybe I grew up in a poor and backward part of the world - even more poor and backward than Southampton, is this possible?

[quote]Dear Miki Well your bars are rattling. You do seem bitter this morning. You really must learn not to insult people or it could get you into a lot of trouble. You need to control your aggression and u...[/quote]

Sorry Dunny,

Really can't understand what you are blathering about ?

I only said put your vest on (I do hope you remembered ?) and I am accused of being bitter but it is you who will feel bitter if you don't put yer vesty on.

As for the rest of the posting, well only you and your very weird thoughts could decipher it, so I will simply give it a miss.

Someone must think something of you but I just can't get my head around the kind of person it could be, oh well have a happy day Dusty old thing and think up your next wonderful enlightening post.

[quote]We've actually got a few somewhere in the house. Don't you remember they made quite a comeback about 15 years ago as my kids went out and bought some and here in France, they kept coming free in cerea...[/quote]

Whoops. Sorry. I didn't realise that they had made a come back. I bet your brother use to throw them at you whilst you were in your high chair!

Miki and Dick,

Isn't there a French phrase (but I can't remember it right now) that runs along the lines of "everything changes but everything stays the same".

I am sure you, like me, are getting a feeling of deja vu on this thread.

Dick - don't you find it interesting that people find it impossible to disguise their writing style (or lack of it?) no matter how many pseudonyms they care to use.

Penny

[quote]Dicky dear why do you think you have the right to tell anyone how to spell,is it that you feel superior(why I do not know)you are only the same as the rest of the members on the the forum and you seem...[/quote]

I really wasn't going to enter this thread but the stupidity of those lines have got my goat. My guess is that Dick feels he has the right to tell people how to spell, because he actually knows how to do it. His posting is based on fact i.e. the rules. I think that anyone who does know the facts has a perfect right to tell the rest of us when we are wrong. I write this as someone who has trouble with spelling, but tries to get it right because correct spelling aids in comprehension.

[quote]Miki and Dick, Isn't there a French phrase (but I can't remember it right now) that runs along the lines of "everything changes but everything stays the same". I am sure you, like me, are gettin...[/quote]

PLUS CA CHANGE, PLUS C'EST LA MÊME CHOSE

You are right Penny, it is extremely hard to disguise yourself behind text, it is much similar to fingerprints innit !!

I guess all of us on here get our kicks in many ways, some printable and others a little more acceptable perhaps ! but I could never see many of us getting a kick by flaming a forum, could you?

Big world out there to have fun in lads, poor wit and awful flaming on forums must show a real lack of something in ones life.

It seems to me that all this tit for tat started when dunnrunnin used an expression some might find and obviously did find offensive. We all know the rules and know what is acceptable. Either follow them or don't use the site. The real loser in all this is that the original thread gets lost.

Please please please don't use offensive terms on the posts and try to place a more level headed and mature method of describing what you think or feel. It is great to have debate but always better to have to have debate when it is educated and knowledgeable. Don't rant and be offensive Rubberduck and Dunnrunin it makes you few friends and just winds people up.

If you choose to ignore solid advice it will continue to reduce the subjects to about 25% informative and the rest simple and petty argument. Miki and Dick have a mind of information on many subjects and you might benefit from them if you were to stop being so antagonistic all the time. I don't know either of them personally so don't go suggesting I am in some fantasy back slapping club, but I have learnt much from them and others and little if anything from you two. Enough is enough, please grow up and be more sensitive to the feelings of others and the forum and France will be a happier place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said Jirac, and that's all I am going to say on the subject.

Suggest the adults amongst us get on with the original theme of this thread which, I believe, was knighthoods.

So................... do you think young Ms Holmes should become Dame Kelly or Msr Pinsent a sir? Or do you think we (in the royal sense, of course) dispense with our knighthoods all too frequently for brief moments of sporting glory rather than for consistent public service?

Or perhaps knighthoods have no place in today's society (note the apostrophe, Dick - Do I get a ?) - perhaps these awards cause more dissention than they do recognition?

Penny

P.S. I have been tempted beyond all reasonable belief to add a "translation" of the above text in the fonespeek Saligo Bay cleverly suggested but I am proud to say I have resisted!!!

From Rubberduck:

"Jfm,why does anyone have the right to tell anyone that they are wrong,going by the photo dicky has put on the site he might well want to keep to the educational side of things because it may be the only subject he feels at home with, not being what one would call the athletic type,and so dares not to breach his narrow thought process and actually allowing free thought outside the obilgatory (sic) brainwashing that takes place in the education process.R"

Oh lovely, now a bit of 'physical' abuse as well - after all, if you can't win the argument sling insults. I wasn't going to respond any more, but this is just typical - and as someone else noted, look at the writing style. Are only 'athletic types' to have opinions, then? Are you one of the morons who used to hit the clever kids at school? Who uses 'educated' as a term of abuse? Looks like it. You can't follow my thought processes, clearly. Not that they are either broad or deep in this: you make racist statements, I (and others who have emailed me off-forum or posted in this thread) object to it. That is because we believe in fairness and tolerance, not in beating up on the underdog.

Look at this statement from Dunrunnin' in another thread:

"Well we all know that the odious newt loving Livingstone and that little queer who runs Paris together with their gang of commy and green followers hate and envy everything that is pleasant in life"

Charming. The overwhelming majority of users of this forum seem to be decent and sensible people. The ones I have met certainly have been. Do we need to continue to put up with abuse from these two? I must say, RD, that if anyone tried to wash your brain they seem to have done a singularly poor job of it.

By the way, the word is 'obligatory' and your last sentence has verbs which do not agree in tense. Or sense.

"Or perhaps knighthoods have no place in today's society (note the apostrophe, Dick - Do I get a ?) - perhaps these awards cause more dissention than they do recognition?"

You might if I could get smileys to work! (But that's my day job).

I think the Pinsent-Holmes comparison is interesting. He is at the pinnacle of a sport which has relatively few practitioners, possibly in the hundreds. She has gone for one of the most competitive arenas in middle-distance running. Is it easier to get a medal as a rower than a runner? There was an interesting article in The Times last Olympics which rhubarbed the rowing medals because, it said, they were easier to get than track honours. Hard, sure, but not AS hard. What do you think?

(By the way, I would love to see her get a good honour - certainly a Dame - as I said before she seems to be such a nice person, and devoid of any of the arrogance I have seen in Mr. P. A lot like that French girl who got a gymnastics medal on the last day or so, and stood on the podium beaming, rather than grizzling like so many others.)

Easy to get a rowing medal, eh?  Some weird kind of sour grapes going on there, glad I didn't read it.

Nobody who has ever tried competitive rowing would EVER say it was easy!   Maybe they've forgotten how hard Steve Redgrave used to train.   For every minute of a race they've done countless hours of training, on the water and on land.  If they didn't, the effort of the race would kill them

I reckon the 100 metres must be easy, because it only lasts 10 seconds....

I am not a supporter of the honours system, it is more related to who you know and in the case of football, which club you are/were associated with.

Jock Stein managed Celtic, who won the European in 1967, one year before Manchester Utd. Where was his elevation to the peerage.

Bob Paisley, the most successful manager of an English club, in Europe and England, had to wait years for recognition, whereas Ferguson, again at Man U, wins the European Cup once and is Sir Alex.

With this type of inconsistency is it any wonder that the honours system has become discredited.

Jongleur