Put the heating on yet?

Alexis

No heating here yet in N.Finistère for us, too damm hot indoors still (double-glazing and masses of insulation). Am still wearing short trousers and teeshirts indoors and definately no socks yet. Its gale force 8 outside yet again today and the rain to match but the wind is very warm from the south. Can't light the stove anyway because the glass in the door cracked, got it repaired and the chimney shop put too much gasket behind the glass causing it to break again when we tried to shut the door. Ever soaring cost of electricity prevents us too from switching on radiators uneccessarily. I look at this way, at least the wood pile will last longer with each day that passes and we don't use it!

Central heating (oil) has been on first thing in the morning for the last couple of weeks (mainly to keep the bathrooms warm and dry the towels) as we get up soon after 7. But because of fears of rising oil prices am being very frugal and the bathroom rads are the only ones on at the mo. I know that come January I'm going to have the central heating going most of the day though!

We swapped our wood burning cuisiniere for a huge new woodburner a couple of weeks ago and lit it a few times in the evenings but it was soooooo hot in our now very large kitchen/sitting room we gave that up for the time being as we were falling asleep on the sofa by 8pm!

The last couple of days here in the Charente have been super though - apres midi temps in the high 20s and cottage is better insulated this year so can keep the heat in.

regards......helen

Gosh it must be wonderful to still be in t-shirts and shorts. Enjoy it whilst you can.

Here in (lovely and sunny but chilly) Lincolnshire we have had the CH on am and pm for what seems like forever.

Mind you, we have sold our lovely, warm, south-facing house and swapped it for a cool, borrowed bungalow. Which has also made me realise how much I like going upstairs to bed!

Sue

We were freezing in a rented house without c.h. until this week when we moved into our new property (Ille et Vilaine). Now we're either too hot or too cold, struggling to understand the heating system here which is underfloor c.h. on the ground floor and radiators upstairs.  Too many different things to programme which don't appear to work right.  Previous owner was hopeless/helpless to explain as he didn't appear to understand a thing about how his house worked (haven't found the stopcock yet...).

I guess we'll get there in the end but we're certainly keeping very warm during the day unpacking boxes!!

All our roses are out again with many buds still forming, the hortensias are still vivid colours and I am having to cut the grass weekly still. Someone asked about poor french pensioners and heating allowances, well I am pretty sure they get what they are entitled to,its just that its not common knowledge to british incomers and the french are very private about their financial affairs. I cannot stand hot houses and even told the doctor his waiting room was too hot,who immediately told his receptionist to switch off the heating. Since leaving UK gas central heating and traffic pollution behind, we have never been so hardy and healthy and rarely suffer illness here. With the current increasing cost of heating fuel in France, perhaps people will realise they don't need to heat their homes when they are not there all day.

I think that depends on the system - we have gas central heating and I certainly do keep it on ALL day whether we are there or not, if we go out I turn it down to about 15 - 18.

I was bought up to believe that it is a lot more expensive to heat up a house and hot water tank from cold than it is to keep it ticking over.

Re colds etc - I find even in the polluted Thames Valley we all keep pretty cold free except when someone goes to a new environment, like my son starting college, had a cold in no time