Allez Man U

opas

On behalf of "The Blues", thankee kindlee Man Utd.

Did anyone notice how CFC fielded 6 English players yesterday...........oh yes, the King (Claudio Rainieri) is dead, long live the King (Jose Mourinho).

Just a mention for Bill Nicholson a great manager who died last week, who Greavsie once said was THE boss.

It really chokes me to have to say these words in public but "thank you MUFC for beating "them"" - that one thing really brightened a very sad weekend.   And, yes, Billy Nick was one the greatest managers that ever lived and like Clough and Shankly, his like will never be seen again - it's just a pity that the French led players of THFC could not perform well enough on the day to honour the great mans' passing.

I would like to know why people, generally hate Man U, you know, "we hate Man U and we hate Man U, We hate Man U and we hate man U......" and on and on.

Not you specifically, but football fans generally.

This Arsenal/MUFC thing is becoming a bit of a bore. As a life long Man Utd supporter, I think Arsenal are a great team, and love to watch them play, but then I am a woman, and don't do these things right, apparently.

[quote]I would like to know why people, generally hate Man U, you know, "we hate Man U and we hate Man U, We hate Man U and we hate man U......" and on and on. Not you specifically, but football fans gener...[/quote]

Mee too.  Being the daughter of a Mancunian, I have supported Manchester United since I was a very small child.  Can remember my mother crying at the Munich Air Disaster.   They are without doubt a great side, with a great Manager.  I can also admire other teams, and cannot stand this "I hate M.U. attitude"   I wish them well this season, and am only sorry not to be able to see any of the matches, except the European ones.

Go - Red Devils!!!

Why do people hate Man U? Possibly because we get them thrust down our throats. There ARE LOADS of other teams in the Prem, but who do we get on TV? In every paper?

Possibly because of their AWFUL manager..........BTW: do you know the difference between Ferguson and a jet engine? Jet engines sometimers stop whining!!

Possibly because there has always been one rule for the monied teams and one for others.

Possibly because their players do no wrong according to Fergy.

Enough for a start?

Alcazar (who supports Scun thorpe United, the only team in our league that needs censoring: )

Here we go, trot out the same tired excuses 'they're rich' duuuhhhh - its coz they're succesfull. Would Scunthorpe not like to be a 'rich' club? Would you stop supporting them if they were, that is, if they were sucessful for years and years.

'their manager moans' - and yours don't?

'their manager will never admit they are wrong' - well, you and many others may hate Ferguson, but he is a very successful manager, who defends his players to the press and public, and gives them hell away from the camera. If any of you MUFC loathers have ever managed a team of highly paid people, would you use public/ritual humiliation as a team building excercise?

If they are 'thrust down our throats', is that the marketing team at MUFC alone or the primarily the way the British Press seems to operate, on made up stuff about footballers and other 'celebrities, rather than news?

What's really going on here, give me some proper reasons - not this hackneyed old tosh.

tresco

What makes people dislike MUFC (amongst others) is that so few of their supporters are Mancunian (or even British) - in fact most Mancunians that I know support City and are very proud to do so - no matter whether they win or lose.   It was always accepted, perhaps even expected, that everyone would support their local team - but this weirdly overwhelming desire to be associated with whoever is winning, not matter where they are from, is a social sickness that has become all too common nowadays.   You never find this sort of root disloyalty when it comes to international teams so why have it at local level?   Be really brave - support your local team - even if it is rubbish, and never wins! 

[quote]Here we go, trot out the same tired excuses 'they're rich' duuuhhhh - its coz they're succesfull. Would Scunthorpe not like to be a 'rich' club? Would you stop supporting them if they were, that is, i...[/quote]

Where's I say I hated them because they were rich? I said I hated them because rules are DIFFERENT for the richer clubs, and they have rules bent for them. I can give you many examples, and not just involving MANU(RE), but won't bother as you are blinkered.

Sorry, but the MAJORITY of people in the UK agree with me

Alcazar

No don't bother, Alcazar, unless you have the time to do it by private message. I may be uninformed and ignorant, but I am not blinkered. I am genuinely confused.

We were talking about MUFC weren't we? I did ask why do people hate MUFC, specifically, didn't I?. It goes way beyond 'historical' rivalries that have existed in my lifetime. Other 'monied' clubs simply do not attract the level of hatred that MUFC does. Some of my best friends are Man City supporters - i've always wanted to say that in writing. Even they don't understand everone jumping on what they see as their private bandwagon. (Lets leave Leeds, Liverpool, and more recently Arsenal fans out of it - its the rest I don't get)

Iceni, I take your point about loyalty to your local team, and my gut instinct is that you are right, but the fact of geographical mobility makes it very different to when I was a child, when most people stayed pretty much where they were born, at least until adulthood. I spent 4 years recently going to see Tranmere, because I like going to matches, and they were my local team, but I will never say they are 'my' team. My partner, who was never interested in football until 4 years ago, is now a Tranmere supporter - and by the way, he hates MUFC too.

I would sing it but I haven't a clue how the Westmister chimes goes

Thanks this week go to Portsmouth, come on be fair,  I did thank Man Utd last week and I nearly congratulated the Saints as well this week but the lucky gunners got a very late and undeserved (well I believe so !) equaliser.

No I don't hate Man Utd but do dislike the whinger in charge but, an usher at my wedding was at United for a while under Tommy Doc and so I met the great Georgie through him (what a bit of name dropping this is turning out to be ) so I cannot hate any club who has had greats like him can I?

Allez les CFC.........................

Two southern softies at the top I notice !!

I can't claim to like Man Utd, but certainly wouldn't go as far as to declare a genuine hatred for them. I admire Ferguson and what he's achieved at Man U and believe that much of what he says should be taken with a pinch of salt as it amounts to little more than psychological games. It does seem a pity that there is now such a gap between the top three and the rest. I'm an Ipswich fan (can't be accused of glory seeking for that choice) and watched my team go from finishing 5th in the Premiership and playing Inter Milan at the San Siro, to going into administration, in less than 18 months. Oh well things have picked up a bit now and we're in second place in the championship. Who knows we might even end up taking Norwich's place in the premiership next season. Clubs like mine really need to look to the excellent examples of clubs like Bolton and Charlton if we're to survive. Buying players for large sums of money is rapidly becoming a privilige for half a dozen clubs. Serious transfers are all but a thing of the past outside of the top half of the premiership!!

I admire Ferguson and what he's achieved at Man U and believe that much of what he says should be taken with a pinch of salt as it amounts to little more ........

You are correct and an awful lot of all this, certainly is mind games but his problem is, he wants to be the only one playing it and Wenger has his match. Poor Kevin Keegan made his self looka little silly by being affected by it at Newcastle when the championship was his for the taking at one point.

As far as Fergie being succesful, well it depends on how you see it.

In the world of Pro sport, (not just soccer) Man Utd are huge, extremely so and Fergie has won just one European champions Cup. To any other large club in Europe, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Inter, Porto, Bayern etc, if the manager had not won it more than one solitary time (and just remember how lucky that win was, even the engraver started to put Bayerns name on the trophy !) in the amount of times they have qualified to play in it, the manager would have been out on his backside, have no doubt about that, that is a fact. Winning the championship is little return, compared to the big one.

Have you noticed that Wenger is playing games now and saying that he wants the Championship, well yes, because he is not well equipped to win in Europe, Arsenal play too free, easy and confident in our league but that wins little in Europe, sadly perhaps. Plus the sod is playing silly mind games about Mutu now as well......................

I thought sport was meant to be a fair amateur competition between humans to demonstrate which had the better or best skills - not a battle of bank accounts to see who could buy the biggest and best set of prancing prima donnas!  I suggest that instead of red and yellow cards that the referee awards Oscars for best "ten rolls and flick-flack following a foul" and "most reasonably shouted-in-my-face argument for not awarding a penalty for the blatant foul I have just committed".  And as for the supposed mind games that these grossly overpaid sportsmen and managers play with each other - ********!  I've seen better arguments in the playgorund at school!!    Let's put some reality to it - Ferguson and Wenger earn in one year far more than the Prime Minister gets paid for the whole term of his office - and Beckham (amongst others) gets paid the more than that in one month - but would you want any of them leading the country? 

[quote]Alltogether now, (to the tune of the Westminster chimes): "Play on Pompey, pompey, play on!!!"

When Pompey beat MUFC I got some mild pleasure from the thought that my dad, who missed out on all his teams success in recent years, was chortling from his 'heaven'.

I admire Ferguson, but that doesn't mean to say I like him. You're right Miki, that others seem to have joined in, now. I have to admit that I enjoyed Mourino's put down to Ferguson, after Ferguson warned him that you can't buy success, to which he swiftly reminded him that his Porto side (low budget) had knocked out Mr Ferguson's multi-million pound team the season before, before going on to win the champions league.

I'm certain that Curbishley and Allardyce are without doubt two of the premiership's best managers as they've succeeded in not only keeping their sides in the premiership, but they've also turned in top 10 performances and their clubs are in a healthy financial state.

I appreciate that it's a big step up to managing sides in the Champions League and that some of our more "Precious" players take a whole different kind of handling, but then again both of last years champions league finalists were teams built on rather modest budgets, with very few "Stars".

Sorry Gay but the stakes are massive, including the livelihoods of the managers, players and backroom persons. This is no longer the Ted Drake or Tom Finney era, perhaps mores the pity but as in anything in life, time moves on for better or worse.

A football club is not just the 11 men you see on the pitch, most clubs in the premiership employ hundreds of people in the case of the top clubs, several hundred.

Mind games may seem childish but the pressure is relieved with these kind of things, if you knew half the tricks that go on, on and off the pitch you would be even more amazed.

Do not mistake grown men for mature people No sport offers so much to the masses, there is grief, excitement, deep sorrow and sheer exhultation and often, all in one match. It is an outlet for millions of people, if one doesn't understand what it is about, it cannot be explained in words, it is a being, a want of, a love, you either feel it or you do not.

You collect lovely Quimper faience, pretty rare thing to do indeed Gay, now that would certainly make many people wonder why, wouldn't it? What I mean is, what is intended to eat of, is hung on the walls or simply collected, wouldn't that seem strange to the original manufacturers?

Ritual humiliation.............Tell me a sport where that doesn't happen ? Look at athletics many try to psyche out their opponents, in fact whilst thinking about it, I realised that it can be attributed to nearly any sport you care to mention.

I thought sport was meant to be a fair amateur competition

Amateur ! Crikey and gadzooks (only jesting) that went out for good when tennis at Wimbledon went Open. The principle is fine but pro sport is here to stay. I can't say I like the salaries paid but the chairmen will only pay what they can afford and if not, the club will fold à la Leeds Utd who didn't fold but got mighty close. Someone made an awful blunder there !

Foreign players have helped in no small way to take the British game to  new heights, none more so than at Chelsea. It is absolutely wonderful and compelling to watch so many quality players in our premiership, once something we only though Italy and perhaps Spain would have.

Yes, we can blame the increase in diving and acting to some of these players and I think a crackdown on such antics is probably inevitable, maybe through the third eye or more people officiating at every match.

You cannot compare wages in different spheres, e.g there are people on here who think Bill Gates should be shot and not in fact be a billionaire Being a prime minister is not about money is it. It is a dream fulfilled and eventually a power trip.

Let's put some reality to it 

Yes lets, No footballer would want to be the PM but I can tell you this, the one in power now in the UK (and other males or perhaps female people in power all over the world) would love to be a pro soccer player or a paid musician in his case!!

No, sorry but the rocky road of comparing one paid job for another, is simply impossible to guage. I reckon we personally work much harder than so many others but we don't often get more money than them and that is the bottom line. Nothing much one can do to change that is there?

The last time France was united in anything, were the times the soccer team gained the trophies in the World and European championships. Can you name anything else that has the power to do that?

Like it or love it, to billions world wide, it is THE beautiful game.

I'm certain that Curbishley and Allardyce are without doubt two of the premiership's best managers as they've succeeded in not only keeping their sides in the premiership, but they've also turned in top 10 performances and their clubs are in a healthy financial state.
I appreciate that it's a big step up to managing sides in the Champions League and that some of our more "Precious" players take a whole different kind of handling, but then again both of last years champions league finalists were teams built on rather modest budgets, with very few "Stars".

I agree about those two managers, although Alan Curbishley appears at the moment to prefer being a big fish in a small pool, that might change in the future of course but what he has achieved at Charlton has been nothing short of superb.

Sam Allardyce, if things carry on the present mould, is destined for a bigger club. He will now be associated with any big club in need of a new manager.

I have read some lovely stories about Mourinho, he is a one off. His achievement at Porto was done due mainly to his working tremendously hard at moulding a TEAM not just a side of 11 players. With little money to work with there, I guess he really had to do that and as you are aware I'm sure, when you can mange to do so, your team can have enough confidence to walk through "star teams".

On a lower scale perhaps, look at what Wimbledon achieved................

His job at Chelsea is forming or rather building the same thing but with players worth many millions. I reckon he can pull something off (if having evrything crossed really matters, he will !)

Now as you say, just like predecessor (Claudio Rainieri) playing mind games with him will not be easy

>>>some of our more "Precious" players take a whole different kind of handling<<<

Yep - I'd handle them - right out of the door! For every talented player there must be another 10 waiting to fill their boots, to coin a phase.

Take some of this Prima Donna behaviour out of the equation and you just might get a game where the players are fit to be hero's - not some of the 'clay footed' lot we have.......

Oooooooooh - I'm strict! If only I could play football !

Yep - I'd handle them - right out of the door! For every talented player there must be another 10 waiting to fill their boots, to coin a phase.

Take some of this Prima Donna behaviour out of the equation and you just might get a game where the players are fit to be hero's - not some of the 'clay footed' lot we have.......

Ah but there's the rub Gay, the other 10 would simply become the new talented prima donnas, so no actual change !

We are alright, we don't purchase anyone with clay feet, the Doctor at the club checks that first