Sensible slippers

I think this is a measure of my integration into French society.  I now own a pair of sensible slippers, just like real French people.   Never needed them in the UK (or wanted them, slippers were for old people, right? ).

But now, with icy-cold carrelage underfoot, and no central heating, and what with it being 5 degrees right now, brrrrrrrr, I've given in.  Beaten into submission.

Still fighting against the full-length fleece dressing-gown.   I have my limits.

Slippers will be a sought after fashion accessory for most of us - eventually. Don't fight it, SaligoBay - that's my advice. When the time comes, when it's a toss-up between hypothermia and a full length fleecy nightdress, I know what hergoodself will choose.

Me, well I just carry-on fighting for any space I can get near the fire, nail the duvet down on my side of the bed, and retire with my clothes on after some hot tottie (or should that be toddy)!

I think I was born with slippers welded to my feet. Trouble is I get through a lot in a year here,mainly because I have one toenail which seems to grow half an inch daily and before you know it,its poking through the slipper,very good weapon in bed when the duvet gets nicked. Am currently wearing a pair two sizes too big cos they were in the sales and they didn't have my size and I didn't have enough money on me for a better pair. The kids wear them in the local primary schools to keep the floors clean as most come from farms and trail a lot of mud into the building.

I'm shocked and saddened by the lot of you (Val 2 apart). How can anyone of you pretend to be taking your chosen life in France seriously without the regulation slippers. How do you ever hope to integrate with the locals, you must all stand out like a sore thumb, or should I say toe!

Diana

lucky people who managed to live in Britain without slippers.  you clearly weren't living in Edwardian houses with inadequate insulation and no money to pay for any to be put in.  My mother doesn't have slippers but bootees  lined with sheepskin, and she needs them.  I have never thought that slippers were particularly French.  My husband wear these really hideous canvas things, and wouldn't be seen dead in a pair of charentaise!!!

Jane

I have to admit I have always worn slippers here in the UK though find sheepskin inners too warm and, now I come to think of it always kick my slippers off (as now while I type this).  As for France, not only do we wear them but recommend them for any visitors.

I am usually bare foot winter and summer in the house. If our tiles are cold, then the house isn't warm enough. And having a sous sol does make a difference to floor temperature.

Last March though, my husband bought a pair of sensible slippers in the UK to bring back. He has had to abandon them. They were carpet slippers and are no good what so ever on the tiled floors, they seem to stick to the tiles and not 'slip' at all and he has nearly come a cropper a few times. So they were returned to the UK in summer where they will stay for our visits back.

AHHH!

If you're talking true integration then don't forget the obligatory nylon pinny jobbie! If you haven't got yours yet then hop and skip pronto-like down to your local market and snatch one up for a snip - around a staggering 30 Euros for a mid-range variety! However if you want the big busted, cinched-in waist look (as displayed by the stall-holder's dummy) it'll cost you nearer 45 Euros - at least in Confolens anyway!

They look great with any style of slipper and when you take your nylon pinny off the flying sparks create artistic nuances with any shade of red/orange hair going!!

Go for it girls! (or boys for that matter!)

Helen (after a lovely chilled bottle of Reisling!)

[quote]lucky people who managed to live in Britain without slippers. you clearly weren't living in Edwardian houses with inadequate insulation and no money to pay for any to be put in. My mother doesn't ha...[/quote]

I remember during the late 70s/early 80s, before she could afford to get rid of the parafin fire (God, what a dangerous thing that was) and have central heating installed, that my Mum got herself a large fur lined boot-shaped foot warmer that she plugged into the mains.  During the winter, she used to virtually live on the settee with her feet in the boot and her dressing gown on.

I always used to make fun about it at the time but, now that the odd arthritic pain has begun to make itself known, I have started to think about how I can get one for myself and use it without anyone finding out!  I did think of disguising it in plaster of paris and pretending I had broken both my ankles but any less drastic suggestions would be very welcome.

Stuart

Yes, let's hear it in praise of slippers, they are marvellous things and invaluable.  Used to walking around house barefoot all year round where I currently live I always take slippers when staying in chilly Europe.  Best ones on earth come from LANDS END mail order (order from US not UK site, prices far cheaper (surprise, surprise) even taking into account shipping).  Huge choice, including suede slip on (clog style) with sheepskin lining. 

[quote]AHHH! If you're talking true integration then don't forget the obligatory nylon pinny jobbie! If you haven't got yours yet then hop and skip pronto-like down to your local market and snatch one up fo...[/quote]

Don't mention the nylon pinny!!!  A dear friend (not!!!!), who was anxious that I blend in with the natives when I first arrived, kept threatening to buy me one as a house warming gift.  The only way I prevented her from doing so was the steer her to the booze aisles and ply her with tons of wine!  Mind you, I probably have the figure for it, thanks in part to the vast quantities of rose I've taken to quaffing on a regular basis!!!