Donating Aid for the Tidal wave of 26/12/2004

opas

Perhaps someone else knows whether there is some sort of 'drop off' point for goods rather than money?

It has been discussed before, recently even, and clearly there is a wide range of views here about the merits or otherwise of donating cash to charities.

In this instance, however, if you wish to give something which will help, it makes much more sense to give money. For instance, are you going to go down to Le Clerc, and buy water to be sent at some considerable expense?  Water Purification tablets would be more sensible, and the aid agencies probably are spending a great deal of money on these at the moment, yet they can obtain them for much less money than you or I could get them for.

tresco

There is a place in the Uk collecting clothing and blankets and I think the logic is that there will be a long term, ongoing need after the initial crisis. These supplies do take months arrive as they usually go by sea.

I found that out through links on the BBC news web site, perhaps there is a similar French web site where you could find the info.

I've only heard of money being collected. If everyone gives a euro or so, it soon mounts up.

Here is a link to the french Red Cross, one can donate on line or there is an address there too to send cheques to:

http://www.croix-rouge.fr/goto/index.asp

I'm sure that there are links to the other agencies on the web.

Also if you are french tax payers, it is clearly marked on the Croix Rouge web site under fiscalite how much the french tax man will give you back after a donation. For a donation of 45 euros one gets back almost 30 euros.

So if everyone sends a 5 euro note, how many cushions will that fill and will everybody get a good nights sleep?  From the news reports it is not a question of money but access to the people that need help. So all the money that has been donated will do what? The UN is there for this type of catastrophe and is funded by major economies ie the tax payer.Does anybody know how much money will be needed and if too much has been given will any body get a refund?

If you started this thread as Opas, why are you now contributing as Outcast?

These tragedies did not happen on the moon - water and other supplies can be sourced locally, and so save huge amounts on transportation costs. People in Indonesia are already donating clothes and food, but aid organisations need cash to buy the supplies, as they were saying on TV today.

The average donation in the UK, by the way, is considerably more than €5, and the money is spent on shelters, clean water and medicines.

This topic is really too serious for making silly political points or excuses for not helping.

You can donate online to the Disasters Emergency Committee (which is the umbrella organisation which coordinates all the various charities including Oxfam, Red Cross etc). The website is:

http://www.dec.org.uk/index.htm

The UK have now given approx £1 for every man, woman and child in the country - which is a fantastic response and makes you start re-believing in the innate good nature of human beings (with the exception of the above poster!!!!  lol).

I'd rather give money and hope that it somehow helps someone in desperate need than stand idly by doing nothing. How about you, Outcast? Ever helped (ro thought of) anyone but yourself in your whole damned life?

Penny

P29,firstly why my dammed life?is your life worth more than anyone else,s?,Do you know how much will be needed to help the people now in need,if so please post it,I asked what will happen if more money than needed is donated,since you do not have a clue please do not think that mine or anybody else,s life is damned,if you want to ease your conscience give money,if anyone over there needs my help let them get in touch with me and I will go over and give my time for free,would you?

[quote]Outcast I just cannot believe that this is the second time that the only thing I want to say to you is TA GUEULE![/quote]

Do I agree with that TU !

Mr O, if anything as horrific like this happened in your area, help would flood in, what would you say, no thanks, yeh like hell you would. You would want all the help you could get, if not for you then especially for family and friends and if someone spoke like you have, you would go bananas, I would that's 100% sure.

At awful times like this, it is mans humanity that is required, not idiots questionning how they would get a rebate if all their £2 wasn't spent. Come on man, say sod all if you have nothing to offer these poor decimated families. Put yourself in their shoes and see just how you would feel if you read a post like yours. Look at your little kids and pray just how lucky you are tonight...........Many, many thousands of others have just had their lives totally and completely blighted for ever.

Miki,from your ivory tower all is well?why do you think that your grief has the monopoly,I feel for the people just like every one else,only if I was needed I could do something to help not just with money but could actually help in a hands on way.As for TU well it,s nice to know that a war that has been going on for over 50yrs between black africans and arabs will get the left overs from the asiatic disaster,do people know that when they give there hard earned money?ps TU make me.

Dear Mr Outcast,

Thankyou for this most wonderful offer of kindness please come and help us I am writing from Sri Lanka where I have just arrived. My family's village has been destroyed. I have lost 16 of my family there includig my parents and my three sisters and their children. Many more of my family are missing but not much hope now. Tomorrow I will arrive in my village and I know we need hands to help clear all that has been destroyed  and also clear the dead, I was told today that all the cows have been killed and they are a big helth danger due to spread of infection. The aid agencies canot respond with the man-power only water and blankets so far, unfortunately only very few men survived so fit bodies are what is wanted now.Please if you can come you must fly to Colombo international airport and go on bus to Galle that is the nearest town and then my village is called Unawatuna. My name is Nalin Wikeserake and everyone knows me there. When I am writing this I realise that maybe nobody knows me there now. Sometimes the sadness is too much for me to carry but when my friend in Britain told me of your brave offer it makes me want to carry on and fighting against the despair.

Sincerely Yours.

Nalin Wikeserake

Please do give me your address because ceylon is a big island,do you know of any charities that would pay for my flight because I am a poor un -educated sort who is of a lowly cast,but would help to move the people who died,if I could get a flight out.You see the name says it all,hope to hear from you soon.

Miki,from your ivory tower all is well?

What are you going on about, what has Ivory Towers go to do with humanity ? All classes have humanity not just those in Ivory Towers, which incidentally I have no idea where the towers are.

why do you think that your grief has the monopoly,I feel for the people just like every one else,only if I was needed I could do something to help not just with money but could actually help in a hands on way.

Talk,talk, talk pretty cheap eh. I have heard that rabbit from people for too many years and I can't think of one who got off their arse and did ANYTHING. I have no monopoly, nor claim any, it's all in your tiny mind, the mind which claims to grieve but writes in the opposite.

Very few of us have the skills which are needed there at the moment, which is why it is better, as the aid agencies are saying, to send money.

Penny, I have never seen a post which I thought was worthy of 2 or 3 duplications, except yours.

Mr Outc.......ooops I have just edited my post, sorry to anyone who was offended by the string of asterixes

I don't believe in banning, and I don't want to be banned, either.

tresco

It's probably the only time in his life that the sad little man gets anyone paying attention to him. Negative attention disorder!! Enough said. This thread concerns too serious a topic to allow this ****hole to use it as a means of attracting some much needed attention to himself.

Albi

It is very simple.  The thread is to do with France because the person who posted originally wants to know how to donate in France. 

Besides, you could hardly be accused of being coherent.  Is it John or Jon? ( you posted the latter on the sleep deprivation thread)  Perhaps you could decide, that way you'd be much more credible.

J