Sleep deprivation!

Cjb

He`s a tinker that outcast isn`t he.....hope he was refereing to his  `Mrs ` when offering babysitting duties!  Anyone who knows me understands that I am no earthmother  despite the laid back approach and flowing grey locks!

Alexis ...you omitted the delights of breastfeeding, yes I did it twice and realy enjoyed it once the first few days of discomfort were out of the way ....but they get teeth at around 5 months  ,ouch.

I think everyone who has entered into this thread has done so lightheartedly and wish you all well.

[quote]He`s a tinker that outcast isn`t he.....hope he was refereing to his `Mrs ` when offering babysitting duties! Anyone who knows me understands that I am no earthmother despite the laid back approa...[/quote]

Yes, Mrs O, what a nerve, not only does he (Mr Outcast) claim you are his wife, and offer to act as a go between for you in a new baby sitting business, but he then goes on to sign off as your husband, MrO. Fascinating stuff, it's just about made my day.

Ah.  Didn't have the delights of breast feeding as No.1 was very ill with jaundice when she popped out - I'll pass over the labour but will just say that I never went anywhere without my cushion for quite some time - so she just had no inclination to feed.  Then of course, I worried so didn't produce any milk! 

With the second we went on to the bottle in case No.1 was jealous.  .  .  She was 10lb 5oz when born and could certainly slurp it down.  I would never have filled her up! 

A friend of ours who trained as a nanny in one of the posh colleges gave us an invaluable piece of advice which worked like a dream (no pun intended)

She said - When doing night feeds, keep the room as dark as possible and don't talk to the baby or play/cuddle her. Just feed her, change her and put her back in the cot.  If she doesn't settle, hold her until she does. But do not talk to her, put the light on or sing to her.  Obviously, during the day, you do all the usual cuddly, eye contact stuff you normally do as besotted parents.

We spent the first three weeks with both our two doing just this - stumbling around in the dark (ever changed a nappy blindfold?), but it worked brilliantly. 

Apparently, the theory is that babies soon learn to distinguish between night and day a learn that when it's dark it's not playtime.

On another tack altogether, our health visitor told us that in no way should we put our daughter on solids before 12 weeks as she would end up overweight.  Due to colic, we ended up giving her a spoonful of baby rice a day at 6 weeks old .  She is now 5' 9" tall and as thin as a rake!!

Hope some of this helps

Sasha

Agree whole heartedly with the first bit, worked for me too.

My health visitor also gave what proved to be a worthwhile tip, when you put the baby down intending it to sleep, its OK to let them cry for 20 mins, you need a watch though as many a time my daughter would stop crying and drop off to sleep at 19 mins and 30 seconds.......it sounds cruel but you really do get to know a cry of distress that NEEDS attention or one of 'well aren't you going to play with me NOW !'

My youngest is 20 now so recommendations may have changed, but it worked with both of my children.

Gay, it must have been me Mrs O meant, as I was the person who noticed earlier in the thread that Outcast, most peculiarly, had offered Mrs O as a babysitter  ("name your price"), and signed off as "yours MrO, I ,m here in france".

Borrowing from Mrs Opas, will the real Outcast please step forward?

Hope not Cjb, I don't believe in banning.

As to advice, you will get plenty, but it's usually because people remember what happened to them, or care, or both (and more....).

A forum is fine, you can ignore it, (us) but try not to get cross with the in laws etc, they really do mean well, and you have to 'live' with them, as you don't have to do with us, although of couse we mean well too. ??? Have you got that???? eeerrrrmmm.

tresco

Cjd,at least you will get 8 more weeks than a normal worker,that should give you enough time to"bond"with your first born.What as the fact that you and your good lady have had a sprog got to add to the input of information on france?

Personally I'm hoping that Cjbs experience of being a new parent in France will help those from the UK who post that they are expecting a baby and don't know what the routine is in France, re doctors, clinic appointments, aftercare etc.

No doubt there are also different customs and attitudes to do with babies, as well as ways of doing things.

You may already know this already, outcast, but not all of us do !

The only thing that I've learnt from outcast is that he's "here in France". Surely if I'm living in France, like your good self, then any life experiences that I decide to discuss on this board are immediately relevant. It seems to me that Outcast is a lonely little man, who revels in annoying people. As for the bit about my holidays, I'd have thought as a knowledgable francophile you'd have realised that I get far more than 8 weeks extra holiday. Not bad eh? Fancy doing my job? What's stopping you???

Je viens de passé une nuit blanche!!!

The old fixation about teacher's holidays. I wonder who this could be??

When doing night feeds, keep the room as dark as possible and don't talk to the baby or play/cuddle her. Just feed her, change her and put her back in the cot.  If she doesn't settle, hold her until she does. But do not talk to her, put the light on or sing to her.  Obviously, during the day, you do all the usual cuddly, eye contact stuff you normally do as besotted parents.

We spent the first three weeks with both our two doing just this - stumbling around in the dark (ever changed a nappy blindfold?), but it worked brilliantly. 

Apparently, the theory is that babies soon learn to distinguish between night and day a learn that when it's dark it's not playtime.

I agree with the above.  My three children were all around 3 months old when they went through the night.  First was bottle fed, second was 6 weeks premature and breast fed and third was breast fed.  Give your daughter the lead.  Help her to recognise that night time is for sleeping, therefore not a time for bright lights and your most interested interaction.  Then you are able to cope with her during the day and will give of your best.  (She will as well!) It may be old fashioned advice but if it works?............. 

One need only take a look at Albi and Outcast's semi-literate and bigotted posts throughout this forum, to realise that on the subject of relevance to the forum, they're not really in a position to criticize. Even discounting their charming contributions, this thread has drummed up a great deal of response that I, personally, have found to be extremely helpful. I think it's time for mum and dad to TRY and enforce some kind of routine!!

It's a little strange that these two separate people are posting at exactly the same time of day. Great minds think alike? Then again...... It could just be a coincidence... if not at least their in agreement with one another, which is a start, I suppose.

Cjd,sorry but now you have joined the realms of your own fantasy,bigoted semi something!,you are approaching paranoia,first it was outcast then albi who next?anyone who thinks thats your postings are boring,instead of going on the computer try to get some sleep,it may help.

I'm glad some of the responses have been useful to Cjb, although he didn't ask for advice specifically.

One thing I am confused about is why outcast, in particular, now finds this thread so boring. He seemed happy enough on New Years Eve when he posted much earlier on in this thread, signing off as Mr O, and offering the services of Mrs O, (or was it Mrs Outcast), as a babysitter.

Whatever, or whoever outcast was on about, I think that's one suggestion Cjb won't be following up.

Don`t let sentiment get in the way of making money,tesco if you where so tired would you be posting rather than trying to sleep,what does mrs cjd think of him playing with the computer all  day is what I would like to know especially when nappies need changing,I did my share as well as going to work and did not have three months holidays a year to get over it.

Another thing about babies - they are forever changing their routine. You think they want feeding every four hours, then suddenly it changes to 2 hourly. You get used to them sleeping all day and then they shift this forward a few hours so that they sleep from 3am to 10am. And so on. Or at least this is what ours were like. Keep persevering! Pat.