Physically sick

Punch

A post has been removed from this thread as it was deemed as a personal attack on another member, call it censorship if you will but we, the moderators, forum admin and LF, will not permit this form of behaviour.

Several other posts have also been removed because without the first they make no sense.

I would like to remind all members of the forum that we have 'guests' reading our forum for help and information about living in France. Members are therefore expected to keep within the 'Code of Conduct' and within the subject matter of the forum i.e. France and anything to do with it. I have pasted part of the C of C below highlighting some areas but a full version can be read at http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=40&MessageID=33243

Code of Conduct:

6. Users must not post messages which:

1.      - Are insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not. This includes material sent via personal e-mails through this forum.

2.      - Threaten, intimidate, victimise or harass others.

3.      - Make libelous comments about individuals or companies, including Living France.

4.      - Contain explicit language or vulgarities (whether written in French, English or any other language).

• I was discussing the problems of binge drinking etc with friends the other evening. One is German and our general feeling is that the problem in Britain is the fact that licensing laws used to be very strict. It is less (I think) than 20 years ago, that we would go out for a drink with friends, and no matter what time we went, we were conditioned to have the statutory 3 drinks no matter what time we got to the pub. Even if we went for the last half hour we would get 3 pints in. My German friend believes, and I agree, that the fact that young people can drink alcohol in bars from 16 and go into bars at an earlier age, means that there is not this ambition to drink and get drunk in the same way as in Britain. These two friends have run local youth clubs and one of the clubs was for 12 to 18 year olds, but of course that is too great an age range and those at the upper end need something else. I don't know what it was like in Britain in the 50's and 60's, but I remember "Happy Days" on television and feel that it is a pity that there aren't places like the cafe in that where young people could go and relax and grow up to the pub life in a healthier way. French teenagers I've known have not been into alcohol the way that the British teenager is. To hear British teenagers speak you would think that alcohol was essential. As soon as they can they drink as much as they can and it obviously works through to night clubs.

My daughter was in Germany last week and went to a night club for the first time in her life. Apparently, one of the German girls was not allowed in because she was already drunk. Having said this, vodka and coke was 1 euro, so it was cheap enough to get drunk once inside. I don't know whether they stop people going in in Britain, but possibly people should have a card to allow them to buy so many drinks then stop! But people would only say it was a nanny state and if people want to get totally out of their heads, throw up everywhere and beat hell out of people they should have the right to do it!

Hopefully, over the years, a healthier attitude to use of pubs will develop once people get used to the drop in for a drink and then go about their other business system as in European countries. But while night clubs open so late and offer cheap drinks, things will never improve. I really hope my children won't get into night clubs as it really does worry me. I know of one girl I used to teach who had her drink spiked and was raped when she went to the loo, then another pupil had friends who were attacked with a hyperdermic needle. Isolated incidents maybe - but random incidents can happen to anyone.

I really think that if we all had ID cards this would help matters. I know people will say it is an infringement of people's rights, but it would make life so much better for the people who deserve freedom and to be able to live their lives without the risk from thugs etc. If everyone had ID cards, then night clubs and football stadiums and other places could prevent thugs, racists from going in. It would make everywhere a safer place.

"but it would make life so much better for the people who deserve freedom and to be able to live their lives without the risk from thugs"

So perhaps we could exclude people who are antisocial enought to have babies by other peoples wives and leave the nightclubs and football grounds free for right-thinking people like ourselves?

Best Regards

Alan.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/international/20041231.FIG0239.html

Mmm, this article on the UK's drink problem doesn't make one proud to be British...

[quote]Hello I do not know why everyone is criticising youthful exuberance in jolly old Bliarland. I've been to some pretty boozy brit expat parties here and there where quite a few people indulged in what ...[/quote]

If that's the sort of company you are keeping here, it does not surprise me that you use terms like 'frogs' to describe French people.

Statistically the French still consume substantially more alcohol than the British but the patterns are very different.

Our neighbour's nephew has had a similar experience in his first year at Liverpool University. Not surprisingly our French friends cannot understand why his fellow English students are not 'sympa' and are making him so unhappy. We felt very ashamed.

[quote]Our neighbour's nephew has had a similar experience in his first year at Liverpool University. Not surprisingly our French friends cannot understand why his fellow English students are not 'sympa' and...[/quote]

Sorry Suee but the reverse happens pretty often here in France as well.

Our Daughter knows of British students here that sometimes recieves some bitchy remarks and confrontational remarks from their French counterparts in Uni. Luckily our Daughter is very strong willed and has many good French friends but if she was not, well..........

As for the Brit kids in College here, well we have known of umpteen stories of bullying and racist remarks aimed at the Brits, and that include remarks from teachers and assistants. Can't remember any French friends being embarrassed by any of it though. Quite right to, we are all individuals and should be judged as such.

[quote]"Thursday nights in Rennes has seen a huge problem with students and locals getting drunk as well as many affected by drug abuse." A first step might be to re-label "drink" as a "drug" - together wit...[/quote]

"More visible police on the streets of Britain are required - not driving around in cars or in the obligatory helicopter but successive Home Secs talk much and do little".

I agree with Iceni. The person in the UK government who has the responsibility for both the police and for the licencing laws is the Home Secretary. David Blunket said that he did not know what Jack Straw ever did other than leave the department in a mess. Blunket himself talked tough but acted weak.

The decline of the UK police forces and the rise of town centre late night drunkeness are not things that are inevitable like the weather. A Home Secretary with real determination (if backed by the Prime Minister) could reverse both trends. Wouldn't that be worth doing?

They don't like the idea of the police actually doing anything as it is perceived as giving the police power. Look at RobotCop in Middlesbrough, the authorities moved hell and high water to rid themselves of him who was actually getting crime rates down. The public liked him well enough as he was elected Mayor.

I must admit that there are more police and gendarmes around at the moment. I have never seen them doing more than embetting motorists and doing stop and searches on youths.

At least now this post is get round to see both sides and not just brit bashing,as is could appear by reading the first postings, miki like you we have kids in school here and like yours they have been strong so far,it is not only the kids that are the problem but some of the school teachers, some kids know the score and can handle it,with strong parents to back them up,same in UK I think,but unlike  parents kids they have no choice where they are brought up.