Guest Repellent

Simply, no.

You must invite your mother in law, all year round, while mentioning lots of things that might put her off, or that may limit her stay.

Even better, book the flights, and have control about how long she stays (get the money back).

Then you grit your teeth, but make sure you and your your partner have agreed enhanced  dental cover for you beforehand.  I am so cunning and devious, I surprise myself.

tresco

I never say no to my mother-in-law.

Never mind getting her to notice that things need doing - my problem is to get her to stop doing them. If deprived of work to do in the house she starts on the garden. I'm thinking of renting her out to friends on her next trip out.

Oh, and she fills the car with English produce on the way out, too ...

Val

[quote]Jill, its in the Aude region, between Carcassonne and Perpignan and I guess it's a place for walkers, cyclists, white water rafters, skiers (in the season), etc., unless castles are really your big th...[/quote]

I've got the wrong person then. You definitely have a problem then as I really like that region. Carcassone being well worth a visit and the scenery is beautiful inland. We never did get into Perpignan whle we were at Tautavel as we found so much to visit within a couple of hours drive. I keep a large photo of the view of the hills surrounding Tautavel on my notice board next to my relief map. I'd love to live down there and it would certainly be a draw for visitors!

So, you'll just have to find another excuse!

Just had another idea - tell them you decided to turn your spare rooms into a B & B (if you haven't already). A friend of mine opened a B & B in Scotland, so anyone visiting her would pay to stay with them. A friend who they had forgotten to tell they were running a B & B packed of a family member to stay with them but he had to sleep on the sofa as they had paying guests. Therefore, if you can get some paying guests, it may put off the non-paying ones.

Also, with regard to what someone else saying about having to chauffeur guests everywhere - advise them to bring their own cars or to hire one. Especially if people are living somewhere remote they should be advised to have a car with them so they can get about.

It may be an idea to have or create commitments which would prevent you having to play host 24 hours a day. We once went to stay with friends for a weekend and they left us in their house one evening while they went to a party! Very rude I thought! But there may be ways of doing this more tactfully. I wouldn't have minded but they had invited us to stay!

Hope you find a solution

Agreed with lots of replies-worst visitor an old friend who wanted to buy a house ,had no iternarydespite telling him you cannot just turnup at estate agent and view.Came with wife and said they both did not eat breakfast or much lunch but had 10 days with 3 fabulous  meals each day.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most english cannot say no and the peole who ask to come know this. They did pay for a cheap lunch for us-i know they are not all tight fisted in the south of england but i can see where they get the bad press from as we have lived in many counties in england and abroad before retiring to France  AND KNOW WHERE TOEXPECT GIVE AND TAKE NOT TAKE-- TAKE.

Maybe northerners are too generous or stupid>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we will have to say we have foss  sceptic excavation and cannot have anyone but will book a hotel if they like.I like the idea of recommending they hire or drive own car.

bet this gets some replies.!!!!!!!

Ab,you are right,up north we are generous because we do not have to pay the silly prices you southern ...pay for houses,and we are real in the way we live not just nicey nice for the sake of it. When us lot up north are nice to someone it is because we want to be nice and not that anyone tells us so,if we invite someone it is because we mean it and want than to stay with us.

I've always found the Scots to be extremely hospitable, and generous to a fault, but as someone who was brought up in Yorkshire it would be harder to comment about them.

You have reminded me though, John, of how much I love calling my friends in Reading and London, 'Northern B Words', which is what they used to call us when we lived oop North.

Who's turn is it to joke about dog sleds and no electricity now, you 1000 mile north of us peeps?

tresco

John not Di,do you need Di`s permission to use your computer,us men folk up north(lancs way)do what we like and like what we do,do you want to see my "arse" as Harry Enfield so rightly put it.

The fact is that us northern folk are much more generous by nature than the southern .....type  folk.

[quote]I never say no to my mother-in-law.Never mind getting her to notice that things need doing - my problem is to get her to stop doing them. If deprived of work to do in the house she starts on the gard...[/quote]

Marry me Val

could do with a new mother-in-law