Second home taxation

amp

This has been doing the rounds for a while now. In fact I did ask our local Percepteur at the council's financial year end meeting last year about this and he said it was a very strong possibility that second homes were to be taxed but nothing concrete had been fixed back then. I wouldn't be surprised as there are many communes and I live near one where more than 60% of the properties are holiday homes and the commune loses out on income there as it is too expensive now for the young locals to buy there anymore and keep the village school upto full strength. I shall be at another meeting shortly and will ask him again if there is news on this and let the forum know.

There seems to be an urban myth circulating that second homes in France are already taxed - this most likely arises from the fact that they are subject to taxation on the profits when sold (plus value, or capital gains). But what Val says is very interesting. I can't see it being a very popular measure though as so many French city dwellers have second homes by the sea or in the countryside.

It is a fact of life that many people, including Michael O'Ryanair, believe that if you can afford a second home, you can afford to pay. The risk of unpopularity has never prevented the state finding new ways to take our money and (usually) waste it on the Ministry of Attack and similar crazy ventures.

I must declare an interest though, I have just 1 house, so confess that taxing other people so that I pay less would get my vote. Though that is true of all of us (even though many would deny it).

John

not

It is a fact of life that many people, including Michael O'Ryanair, believe that if you can afford a second home, you can afford to pay.

Odd when you consider that a sizeable percentage of his passengers must be second home owners, at least some of whom would consider or be forced to sell up if such a tax was introduced.  M

I think there are two separate issues here. One is tax on any income that a second home might earn, the other is an extra tax on the property itself. I have no issue with tax on the income, but I am not sure why I should pay more just because a property is not used 100% of the time. If, instead of having two houses, I just bought one big house and then didn't really use half the rooms, should I pay extra tax? Should there be a tax on people who only use their lounge for special occasions???

[quote]I think there are two separate issues here. One is tax on any income that a second home might earn, the other is an extra tax on the property itself. I have no issue with tax on the income, but I am n...[/quote]

John your logic is great , but when did logic play a part in tax and politics?

Paul