What is this forum for?

I've seen a few things mentioned on here  recently and believe that what I think the board is for and what some other posters think it is for are not necessarily the same thing.

I read some comments as complaints, criticisms I'm not sure which, and get the impressions that some think that this board should simply be for questions and answers . And that the board shouldn't be used for opinions.

I answer questions like many others do. In fact considering some of the questions that are asked, it is amazing really that people are gentil enough to keep answering really. What on earth did we do when we moved here before the internet and many things were a lot more complicated than they are now?

As far as I am concerned the board is here to discuss France and living in France. Huge country and lots of regional differences and therefore experiences are often very different too. For me opinions is what makes it interesting. I might not agree with everyone, but don't expect to either.

The funny thing is that if the opinions do stop the board could get very boring and then those who know a thing or two probably wouldn't look in and then how on earth would people learn about putting bugs in the septic tanks.

What is the board for then, are you happy more or less with the way it is at the moment............ I am

We have not only learned a lot, but have asked questions, received replies, helpful suggestions and comments, been shot down in flames [fortunately rarely] but by and large the contributors have some really sensible and amusing answers. It also rather depends upon which section one is addicted to - there are sections of the forum on which we rarely look, but it is comforting to know there are other people in our area who are willing to share experiences and problems, and read and answer postings in the post bag - as now.

My impression is that different French Forums offer different things to different people. I have the impression that this forum has a higher proportion of participants who are resident in France (which thus makes it somewhat more useful for people after advice on France more “from the horses mouth” so to speak). Some (other) forums are more of a social “get-together” with little real substance.

Whilst on this forum the presence of moderators is clear, they seem to act rarely and only when there is a clear breach of the rules. I know of one other forum where the webmaster will happily go in and edit individuals posts (with no comment on the post to that effect). I think this forum is thus less “controlled” than others (or maybe the participants are generally better mannered).

There is a balance in a general interest forum between factual aspects and discussion aspects and both are valuable. Of course serious subjects where people have strongly held beliefs discussion may become heated on occasions (as it would in face to face contact). People not interested in discussion threads can just ignore them, though I find they often help keep me informed and help me develop my own thoughts (i.e. hearing other peoples opinions). I feel there is room for both and it works here – so keep it going as is (though maybe a little faster performance wise ?)

Ian

Yep I'll go along with the forum as it is, one of the only things that p****s me off, is when someone posts back after being given knowledgeable help and some others answer it not exactly to their liking, they too often get humpy about it.

It's free advice, not a sous payable, take it as that peeps and remember, some folks on here had no forum to be able to get info and had to pay plenty francos (latterly euros) to get the advice that is passed on buckshee to many newbies (and oldies of course). Take it as you find it but to complain that you want answers to your exact requirements only, is a bit rich

Well it sure is a break from all the pr0n!

Nah, it's hard not to agree with most of the above - or perhaps I should try harder?

As a newbie poster (but long time lurker) I reckon that if you get some saying the moderation is too heavy and others wishing it was used more, and if you get some saying it's not got enough spirited opinions and others preferring fewer, etc. etc. then the balance might just be about right.

Have you seen the plumbing sticky in 'House Renovations'? That thread alone makes this whole damn forum worth while in my opinion. Fabulous stuff! And there's a lot more like it if that's the only kind of thing you're looking for. Gawd bless the internet.

I post on 3 forums and I think they all offer something slightly different.

Yes this forum probably offers greater and more correct informative postings, but as many on here also post on the other sites I visit, you are liable to get similar answers to your questions there as well. This forum doesn't have as great a "social" side to it as the others and that suits some people who tend to get annoyed at topics that have nothing to do with France and flippant posts. I do like that aspect of the Forums but as they say it takes all sorts to make the world go around.

In reference to Deimos's post, I think the Mods/Admin on this site at one time, used to be the most worked of the three , but it seems to have settled down recently.

With regard to the "social" side what I appreciate about this forum is that it is not too cliquey. People don't have their "mates" as such, which I think makes it friendlier and more open. This is in contrast to other forums I have seen where I think there is an in-crowd that makes me uncomfortable. It is all a question of personal taste I suppose. I do think this forum has got much more interesting and much nicer over the last couple of months. Less trolls.

Tourangelle - I agree with you so much - have you seen the place where sycophancy has reached the stage that the 'regulars' all congratulate each other on their birthdays ("I wuv you") and have virtual parties...

It has driven so many posters out of those forums (just as In2Aude was wrecked by much the same crew) but no-one seems to realise. I love the way that if you criticise one of them the rest of the gang rounds on you with playground insults!

Some of them used to post here, but ran away when they found their self-centred posts weren't appreciated much.

That is why I like this place - we do get some trolls and some plain dafties but generally you get a sensible answer, fast, and often a stimulating conversation.

And - we've got Furryknickers AND Swissbarry.

I've gotta say I don't know what I'd have done without some of the info I've gleaned from this site and others for that matter. I've nearly always found the answers I'd been looking for, not always by direct postings but from, dare I say it, 'lurking'.  Only wish I'd known about it before we moved here 15 months ago.  I even smile to myself at some of the banter that goes on now and then - I guess we're all 'only human' eh!

Well done to all of you little gems santé!

Jules - Montagrier 24

My direct answer is that this forum is for people who are interested in France, for whatever reason. 

I remember a spat I had with someone (man overboard) who said 'it's called Living France' - his view was you had to live here to be take seriously;

That's not my view. I have benefited from advice given to others here, though I did all my own 'research' before buying', but for me it's a place to come and have a chat in English, mostly about France, and that's mostly why I come here.

Like someone else who posted before, it irks me when someone bobs in, asks very complex questions, gets some answers they don't approve of, and then flounce off in a huff, but there you go, or rather, there they go

Oh yes and that furrynix person, this forum is for him to awaken us to our 'fluffy 'side, without having to go anywhere else

I have posted questions (and opinions) in various parts of this forum. The questions have always been answered sometimes in great detail. As we are moving to France in September we have found this very useful indeed.

The opinions have not always been well received, bu by the same token I do not always agree with other opinions so it all works out.

Both my wife and I have used the forum exensively and we both agree that it has been a wonderful help to us in preparing for our move, and also provided us with abundant free entertainment.

I wonder why you asked this question, TU? Just out of interest? Or , more likely , you have your own views. According to the homepage blurb it's "an open discussion board for francophiles", ie those who love France. Although I too love the forum just the way it is, and am addicted to it, sometimes it seems to have been taken over by those who have become disillusioned with and embittered by France. Also should there be room for non-french topics, such as the London bombs, and personal squabbles? Perhaps there should be a special Squabbler's Forum where people can post if they just want a good scrap. Pat.

Thanks for all the comments, which are useful.

I think the forum is indeed for Francophiles, in the broadest sense of the word. Remember that you can love somebody even though they can drive you loopy at times, and a love of France is just like that. Given the nature of the country, its natives, and other 'immigrants' (I hate the term expatriate, though I accept that the connotations 'immigrant' has picked up make it almost as bad) it's not surprising that a bit of disillusionment can set in at times.

I think we also have a duty to those who seem to think that by moving to France all their problems will be solved - we need to point out that it's not all like the 'Place in the Sun' programmes, and that things like working here, either finding employment or setting up your own business, are far from easy. Also the dangers of thinking that things are the same as in England but with sunshine and cheap booze. At the outset, the house purchase process is radically different from England, while it's so easy to come unstuck with things like succession law, employing black market workers etc. So we need to point out the potential difficulties rather than just maintain the stereotypes of happy British getting quietly inebriated round the pool.

The 'Post Bag' section is designed for general discussion, whether directly connected to France or not. Serious subjects like the London Bombings are of interest, probably of particular interest, to those who know London well and now live overseas, and just because we are in France it doesn't make the terrorist questions, facing the whole civilised world, disappear. Likewise a bit of silliness, which those like Furryknickers do so well, is always well received. If anything genuinely upsets or offends any user, then a message to the admin team should ensure a response.

Bryan - I have removed your duplicate post which you said you couldn't. I think I am right in saying that users have the option to delete their own posts (unless it is the first one in the topic) - it's a button hiding away in a corner of the 'edit post' screen.

Who is disillusioned and bitter? Expectations were too great?

To become disillusioned implies that one had an 'illusion'?  I just moved here, I never considered I had emigrated here either and always knew that I would leave at 'x' point in the future. I moved somewhere different, and that is what it was like and most certainly in my early days when it was pre-fashion it was slightly exotic and interesting and many things in life became great events way back then.  

So I couldn't become disillusioned because I didn't have prefixed ideas to become disillusioned about.  I am not bitter, I wouldn't be posting on here if I was I would be getting my life organised into something better. I've never lived like that anywhere and won't.

I actually believe that in many respects life here is far far easier than it used to be quite a doddle these days. The paperasse used to be truly terrible.

Am I going to get kicked off as I'm not a francophile. I'm not a francophobe either incidentally, would that count in my defence

I like this Forum, it has a good mix of knowledgeable posters, and in the various sections, there are those that you can depend on for accurate and timely advice and "talk to" sensibly about problems, "gardening" being a classic case.

It can be annoying when the same old questions are asked infinitum but I try to remember that the search facility is not that good and perhaps with that in mind, the FAQ's could be updated, (with a better tread about changing UK driving licenses as a good example), I also try to remember we all started here somewhere.

There are one or two who are only here to annoy but I try to ignore them....  which reminds me... Prompted by a post urging all ex pats to stop moaning and to do anything legal or illegal  to earn money, I'm starting a contract killing business, probably based in Albi to start with........any takers

"I'm not a francophile. I'm not a francophobe either incidentally"

No, TU, you are just you.  It's funny how everybody and everything has to be put into "categories".  I did not come here originally either because I was a francophile, but because my  husband is French, and I like it here.  C'est tout.

I would not quite agree  that this forum is not too cliquey though everyone has pals and they seem to agree and congratulate and stick up for each other but that is normal not just in forums but in most aspects of life and I suppose their are other users who do not get on but if you have a large base of members there is bound to be a lot of spates