A romantic place to holiday in October

Lori

Anybody out there have any ideas where husband and I can spend a week or so for a romantic break?  We are in Provence (near Avignon) and don't really want to drive more than 4 hours from here (any direction).  Would like a hotel or two as we would probably stay 3 nights in one place and move on to 3 or 4 nights in another.  Would be towards the end of October.  A room with a working fireplace would be lovely.  Nothing over 200 Euros per night, preferably less.

Any ideas?

For a guide to gorgeous hotels in France, go to www.chateauxhotels.com.  You'll be spoilt for choice here.  Re area, both the Lot and the Dordogne valleys are sensational in October as the hillsides change colour.  And they're gloriously quiet too, free of the summer crowds.  IMHO it's the best time to visit.  Beautiful drive from where you are through the Ardeche, across the Aveyron, though possibly at the extreme of your 4 hr limit as the roads are slow and you'll be tempted to stop at lovely spots en route (Ales, Rodez, Figeac, Cahors).  Why not do 3 days touring each valley?  I see there's a lovely chateau hotel in the centre of Figeac, fabulous town and perfectly located for visiting the Lot in both directions.  I would then move on to Sarlat, hideously overcrowded now - and can get a bad press as a result - but stunning out of season.  And more wonderful places to visit within half an hour's drive, Domme, Beynac to name a few.  Enjoy yourselves.  M

200€ a NIGHT?

I'm clutching my heart here!

Get yourselves to Premier Class for 30€....spend the 170€ on a bag of chips and a can of pop.

I think I am turning mean....

I had better take my purse to be operated on before we go on our hols as it is firmly shut.

200€...oh dear, oh dear!

Alexis - it is a big splurge for us.  We have not had a vacation in 5 years - at all - nothing.  My husband works overseas and we are not often together.  Our daughter will be visiting family elsewhere for the October school break and we thought we needed some time to ourselves, rejuvenate, etc.  Yes, it is a lot of money for us too, but we don't want to be disappointed.  Have rented and hotel stopped too many times in less than special / clean places.  Willing to pay a little more to avoid that.

MWJ - thanks for the suggestions.  They sound great and I will look into them.  Have been to the Dordogne many years ago and loved it.  Would love to go back.

As for Geneva.  Been there, liked it, but it is too big for romance.  Would have to stay somehwere outside of Geneva and we don't really know that area very well.  Would need a recommendation.

Again, thanks and keep those suggestions coming. !

Lori

Lori,

Put Le Moulin Du Roc at Champagnac du Belair on your list of possibles. Take a look at their website.

http://www.moulinduroc.com/

It is just outside Brantome in the Dordogne and the food and rooms would be hard to beat for what you have planned ! A walk around Brantome or Perigueux will give you something to do during the day.

We ate there several times when we lived there and have to say, we have never eaten better anywhere in France. Never stayed in any of the rooms but they look pretty good in the brochure and on the website. Special lunchtime menus (when we ate !) make it a real bonus.

Alright then.  I'll let you off but I would suffer afterwards thinking about how much it cost!

I would go to Venice.  I am going to Venice.  One day.

Why don't you just tell everyone you are going away.  Lock the door.  Close the shutters.  Phone off.  Then  loll in bed for a week drinking champagne and eating chocolate????

After all, if your husband is usually away, it would be like a holiday in an hotel for him....providing you weren't the maid of course

Alexis - that's just it, I AM the maid.  We would both rather be pampered a bit.  If we stay here (and we did think about it - but not for long), I would be the one making the bed, cooking the meals, cleaning up after the meals, etc., etc., etc.  That wouldn't be much of a vacation for me and my husband wants me to have a break from that too.  He'd be more inclined to do the yard work, catch up on needed bricolage, etc.

Venice, can't speak Italian and I think it would be too expensive.  I don't want to go somewhere I don't speak the language as I find that type of vacation different - not altogether bad, but not what we're looking for this time.  Also, considering its been 5 years since our last vacation, who knows how long it will be before the next one comes along.  Would like to make this one " just so. "

Miki - I will take a look at the website you mentioned.  Thanks for the tip.

Venice, can't speak Italian and I think it would be too expensive. 

Oddly, it isn't and you don't need to speak a word of Italian, everyone speaks English.  My boss is staying at the Danieli next week in a room with a lagoon view, that's Euros 590/night.  But he also looked at a whole host of other hotels for around the Euros 150 mark, all of which looked really nice.  Venice is beautiful in October but I can't think how you can get there in less than 4 hrs, unless there's a really good connection Marseilles/CDG/Venice or Marseilles/Milan/Venice?  M

MWJ mentioned Domme. I was there last night at a concert and had a look at the tarifs for the Hotel L'Esplanade. A room with a balcony is 143e a night. I can't give it a personal recommendation, but the views are very impressive.  

Hoddy

Hoddy - we stayed in that hotel many years ago and enjoyed it.  Domme is very beautiful.

As for other countries, we really want to stick to France. 

Have taken a look at that chateaux hotel website and there are many possbilities there.  However, someone sent me a PM with a private farmhouse for rent in the Dordogne and it really looks beautiful - granted, not a hotel where people serve you, but it really looked pretty and relaxing.  Am considering that.  It would also cost us far less than 7 nights in hotels with all meals taken out.  Still not sure..

Going back to the 'somewhere near Geneva' idea, what about Annecy?  Absolutely adorable and would fit the romantic bill.  I wouldn't want to put you off the out-of-season Sarlat idea though.  I was there last May/early June and it was surprisingly quiet, and consequently by far the best of my many visits. 

I would go to the Loire valley if I were you.  Slightly more than 4 hours, but not much, it is just lovely in October, enormous blue skies and the white chateaux against them.  There are some lovely villages to visit too, lots of wine to buy to make a change from cotes du Rhone (!) lots of walks and so on.  If you are going for a luxury hotel, you could stay in a chateau!

http://www.relaischateaux.com