Holidays

Living in England we had more choice of places to visit by air. Short breaks to Nice,Paris,rome,Madrid etc and longer holidays further afield. These were made more affordable and accessible by the low cost airlines. Now living in France the choices are not only limited but expensive. Some friends suggested we might join them (coming from England) for a week in southern Spain. To fly we would have to get to Toulouse , about one and a half hours, park and the fare would be 282€ each! We could drive the 1612 k at a paege cost ofapprox 150€ and 200 or so litres of fuel. It would take 15 hours 37 mins to Malaga according to mappy. Fortunately we have seen most of the parts of the world we wish to but it would be nice to say have a weekend in Prague. The French are a little more adventurous than say 30years ago but I can't see the type of exploratory travelling becoming more common. After all they always have full board (and no doubt French food) if you look at their holiday brochures.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the sad truth of living on a huge landmass, isn't it?   I know people imagine that it must be easy to get to other countries from France, but it isn't!

We looked into a weekend in Venice.  9 hours drive from Montpellier, or 15 hours on the train?  No thank you!!   The best option would be to drive 3 hours to Girona in Spain and get a Ryanair flight to Venice.

If only I'd known - I would have taken MUCH more advantage of those day-trip-to-Prague and weekend-in-Heidelberg offers when I was in the UK!

Hindsight is a truly wonderful thing, non? 

I have flown on Ryanair to Nimes for about £1 (without taxes) a few years back. I know they also fly from Montpellier. Just an idea but could you not get a cheap flight to Stansted from Montpellier and go on to Prague or wherever on Ryanair form there. This is what I thought we may do from Dordogne in the future when we live there full time.

Yes, we have considered this!   The problem is...... the flight times just never match up, and my dream of a day away in City X crumble, when it takes 2 days to get anywhere by plane, and school and work constraints also mean that a 5-day trip has to be done in the holidays, when you don't get the 1-euro fares!  

Now that we've been here 5 years, we've pretty much "done" everything within a 3 or 4 hour drive, as well as ventures into Spain, Italy, and Germany.   Provence, Dordogne, Pyrenees, Alps, Alsace, Ardèche, Auvergne, all ticked off.   I've liked them all, but don't need to go again when there's so much else to see.

I just can't get to it!!!   

My husband did a mad jaunt a last year as WJT suggested, he flew into Stansted and got a plane to Oslo. He travelled with Easyjet and Ryanair. It cost a fraction of what it would have cost leaving from Lyon or even Paris, but he came back exhausted. The thing is that there is not, as yet, a French low cost carrier going to European destinations, which does limit options. However, if you are anywhere near Geneva then there are lots of Easyjet flights leaving from there. I have also travelled from Beauvais, not a fun experience, but Ryanair does fly from there to a variety of destinations, not just the UK and Ireland. I think there are also more options with the trains. I went to Florence last year from Dijon with a prems for 70 euros return.

Just back this AM from 5 weeks of vagabondage on the Continent. Currently this minute trying to ward off the incipient fatigue (bit of a nouba last night) by joining in yr chinwag on... what was it on again ? holidays ? Yeah, it was fab, between cracking games at the Parc (are you watching Miki ?) went to Normandy in search of intellectual pursuits and bracing sea spray (but only found calva factories and cow pats while picnicing) and a memorable 10-day long pilgrimage-cum-Tournée des Grands Ducs in Belgium & Holland with an old 'palkie' of mine, Trappist Monasteries (except we couldn't get in for my mate's 'special arrangements with his well-connected mates' didn't quite work out), Breweries, festivals and tutti quanti, even re-did the camping bit just like in the good 'ole days (yes, got in the wrong tent as well), fell off bike in ditch (in the end, it was safer to put bike on taxi to get back to base), Oh, to be free and footloose again, and fit with shiny new organs... Sadly, back in Paname, my old haunts are shutting down one after the other or worse, being 'bobofied' to terminal point. Soon at that rate I'll have to teetotal, i.e add water in my Pastis. And some of me best old drinking pals are either currently sectioned or dead. Punaise ! it really hit home, the number of people suddenly snuffing it in their early 50's, just like that, bang, gone, head crashing on zinc while quietly sipping their brew, had not noticed it on that scale before. All this talk of the average life expectancy in France being 75 for men, etc. arrant nonsense ! Round my way, it's 55, but only if you're lucky and have looked after yourself. But I suppose stats can't be that wrong, so I reckon that, by the law of averages, that means that I should progress gaily to 98 no probs. Well, as we say down chez Gégé: Santé ! mais pas des pieds.

Genuine, Genuine, est-ce que j'ai une tête de Genuine ? - Sorry, that's the inevitable after-effect of me spending too much time on the St-Martin Canal taking photos of the most photogenic Canauxrama tourists. But, as the bloke at the helm of the Canauxrama barge would say while navigating up and down this most venerable of canals, what French FILM is this very famous (only slightly modified here) line from ?*

MWJ, I must take this opportunity to salute you, precisely to salute your unique taste and sophistication. In your good self, I see a model of discernment and urbanity, no doubt you are proving your impeccable credentials as an cognoscente and aesthete by choosing Paris as the Number One city and and Belgium as a top destination.

*Due to her immense experience and knowledge of all things French (with the exception of contemporary verbs maybe), C. L'Animal NEED NOT apply, just would not be fair. Give the others a chance.

[quote]Genuine, Genuine, est-ce que j'ai une tête de Genuine ? - Sorry, that's the inevitable after-effect of me spending too much time on the St-Martin Canal taking photos of the most photogenic Canauxrama...[/quote]

**-fluctuat nec mergitur.**

Just watch out for icebergs!

Oï you, shussh, you're not to pip a squeak on this one, what are you doing here anyway ? No good currying favours with me, you're not in this class anyway, you're in the T.É.T.A.R.D section (Too Experienced and Terminally Advanced Roguish Demiurges) for your sins, so allez, allez, du vent, already you're making it too obvious ('course it is 'gueule' and not 'tête'). Ray, any idea what famous French film it might be ? BTW Ray, I can't remember, did you repeat your year in July ? (where are the results for Gawd's sake, lost everything, it's a mess here). No-one's got the answer ? and me thinking it was an easy one for you to get your fangs into for the test Rentrée des Crasses ! Everybody's repeating the year if NO answer by the end of the day !

Wo said I take him seriously ! 

Now there was someone else in this famous fim, come on avez-vous perdu le Nord?

He was one of the greatest French actors who was known to have said in another film

"Bizarre?  J'ai dit bizarre?  Comme c'est bizarre..."

When you all get back from your brico shops, don't let this demi-urge get away with it !

Dans un hôtel situé sur le bord du canal Saint-Martin à Paris, on célèbre une communion. Les propriétaires et clients de l’établissement fêtent l’événement autour d’un repas chaleureux lorsqu’un couple de jeunes amoureux (Pierre et Renée) arrive pour prendre une chambre. Au cours de la nuit, un coup de feu retentit ! Pierre (Jean-Pierre Aumont) et sa jeune compagne (Annabella) ont tenté de se suicider. Renée est blessée tandis que le jeune homme, incrédule, décide de prendre la fuite… Après avoir été soignée, Renée est hébergée par les hôteliers qui lui proposent un emploi de serveuse. Dès lors, son destin se mêlera à celui des clients de l’hôtel et notamment à ce couple étrange et haut en couleurs formé par Monsieur Edmond (Louis Jouvet) et Raymonde (Arletty)…

Lorsqu’ Arletty déclame "Atmosphère, atmosphère est-ce que j’ai une gueule d’atmosphère ???" elle ne mesure évidemment pas l’impact qu’aura cette réplique sur la mémoire cinéphile française. Au fil du temps, la célèbre tirade se métamorphose en témoignage d’un cinéma hexagonal qui avec Renoir, Becker et Carné, a su mêler la réalité sociale, le pittoresque d’une époque et une certaine forme de poésie. Pendant quelques décennies, et avant que la nouvelle vague ne vienne tout bouleverser, ces quelques réalisateurs - et bien d’autres dans leur sillon - nous ont offert un grand nombre de films inoubliables que la critique a porté au Panthéon du septième art. Mais derrière cette reconnaissance justifiée, le label "chef d’œuvre du cinéma français", synonyme d’intouchabilité, rebute souvent les jeunes cinéphiles qui ne voient dans Hôtel du nord ou autre Quai des brumes que des œuvres trop reconnues et quelque peu désuètes. Aujourd’hui la mode cinéphile préfère Hawks ou Tourneur à Marcel Carné ! Il est donc temps pour les amoureux du cinéaste de souffler sur la poussière qui enveloppe cet Hôtel du nord et d’inciter les nouveaux cinéphiles à le (re)découvrir …

Bon, you better watch the film fissa fissa now to redeem yrselves, not a good way to start the year mes enfants ! La Tourangelle: E+ for your effort tout de même and your candour. TU: très spirituel tout cela but when will you decide to knuckle down and be serious for a minute, huh ? Your potential is right up there with the bestest, do not waste your best years. L'animal, it was very commendable of you to obliquely assist your beleaguered peers but I'm afraid your subtle clues are way above their heads at the minute. You'll lose credits for that in the future. Ray, you'll have to resit the WHOLE Key Stage in the cultural section. The rest: U minus. Where are the rest BTW ? Where's Miki, I'm sure he signed in this morning, still hiding behind the radiator ?

Allez, tout le monde au travail, y'a du pain sur la planche ! Cette année c'est pas gagné...

That is my parting shot and also your Homework sentence TO TRANSLATE before tomorrow 10 AM

Dans un hôtel situé sur le bord du canal Saint-Martin à Paris, on célèbre une communion. Les propriétaires et clients de l’établissement fêtent l’événement autour d’un repas chaleureux lorsqu’un couple de jeunes amoureux (Pierre et Renée) arrive pour prendre une chambre. Au cours de la nuit, un coup de feu retentit ! Pierre (Jean-Pierre Aumont) et sa jeune compagne (Annabella) ont tenté de se suicider. Renée est blessée tandis que le jeune homme, incrédule, décide de prendre la fuite… Après avoir été soignée, Renée est hébergée par les hôteliers qui lui proposent un emploi de serveuse. Dès lors, son destin se mêlera à celui des clients de l’hôtel et notamment à ce couple étrange et haut en couleurs formé par Monsieur Edmond (Louis Jouvet) et Raymonde (Arletty)…

Lorsqu’ Arletty déclame "Atmosphère, atmosphère est-ce que j’ai une gueule d’atmosphère ???" elle ne mesure évidemment pas l’impact qu’aura cette réplique sur la mémoire cinéphile française. Au fil du temps, la célèbre tirade se métamorphose en témoignage d’un cinéma hexagonal qui avec Renoir, Becker et Carné, a su mêler la réalité sociale, le pittoresque d’une époque et une certaine forme de poésie. Pendant quelques décennies, et avant que la nouvelle vague ne vienne tout bouleverser, ces quelques réalisateurs - et bien d’autres dans leur sillon - nous ont offert un grand nombre de films inoubliables que la critique a porté au Panthéon du septième art. Mais derrière cette reconnaissance justifiée, le label "chef d’œuvre du cinéma français", synonyme d’intouchabilité, rebute souvent les jeunes cinéphiles qui ne voient dans Hôtel du nord ou autre Quai des brumes que des œuvres trop reconnues et quelque peu désuètes. Aujourd’hui la mode cinéphile préfère Hawks ou Tourneur à Marcel Carné ! Il est donc temps pour les amoureux du cinéaste de souffler sur la poussière qui enveloppe cet Hôtel du nord et d’inciter les nouveaux cinéphiles à le (re)découvrir …

Bon, you better watch the film fissa fissa now to redeem yrselves, not a good way to start the year mes enfants ! La Tourangelle: E+ for your effort tout de même and your candour. TU: très spirituel tout cela but when will you decide to knuckle down and be serious for a minute, huh ? Your potential is right up there with the bestest, do not waste your best years. L'animal, it was very commendable of you to obliquely assist your beleaguered peers but I'm afraid your subtle clues are way above their heads at the minute. You'll lose credits for that in the future. Ray, you'll have to resit the WHOLE Key Stage in the cultural section. The rest: U minus. Where are the rest BTW ? Where's Miki, I'm sure he signed in this morning, still hiding behind the radiator ?

Allez, tout le monde au travail, y'a du pain sur la planche ! Cette année c'est pas gagné...

That is my parting shot and also your Homework sentence TO TRANSLATE before tomorrow 10 AM

Meant to have a go at you all but not to post that 4 times... somehow my cursor (?) (= the vertical bar) disappeared for a few minutes after some dodgy manipulations, then reappered, I fiddled with it (yes, it's all leggit Guv'), pointed it at the POST REPLY button, then nothing happened, then... anyway, very boring, the bottomline is: I want these translations posted on the Board by Tomorrow 10 AM !

It looks as if your Hôtel du Nord has inspired as much enthusiasm as my "Le Bonheur est dans le Pré", Vraititi.  Pourtant, it is compared to "Casablanca".  What always disappointed me was that it wasn't actually filmed there, at the Canal St. Martin.

Hôtel du Nord

This is the infamous Hôtel du Nord—infamous, that is, if you are familiar with French cinema. A classic French film, Hôtel du Nord, was set in and around this hotel in 1938. The film, a collection of various slice-of-life scenarios all somehow involving employees or tenants of the hotel, has achieved a status in the French-speaking world comparable to that of its English-language contemporary, Casablanca (which was filmed four years later).

Anyway, this hotel was nearly torn down a few years ago, but a vast movement to preserve it made it a historical monument instead (almost). The hotel faces the Canal St. Martin; in fact, I took this picture from a footbridge over the canal. It's a charming area of town, even today.

The weird thing is that this hotel never actually appeared in the film. In the 1930s, films were shot on sound stages and closed outdoor purpose-built sets, and this film was no exception. The entire hotel and the canal and locks across from it were recreated in the studio. So, while the film appears to take place here, it was actually filmed on a set outside Paris. Still, the hotel continues to exert a magic attraction for movie fans.

Click directly on the photo to see a larger version (twice this size). Photographed on July 19, 1999.

[quote]The thought of Miki hiding behind the RADIATOR bought tears to my eyes - goodness knows what it did to him !![/quote]

Bring me up to pace please, what radiator ????????????? It rings a bell but we are cream crackered at the mo and ................

Chelsea since the day I was born.