Johnny Halliday

Viv

Has he become omnipotent or something?

I know he is ( for some reason I haven't yet fathomed out) very popular, but lately I cannot open a magazine or turn on the TV without him popping up.

Is there any other 'celeb' that gets as much coverage?

No, just Johnny, he has so much airtime on radio I know all his "anthems" by heart, LOL.  If you go to buy specs, he will be there, promoting them on big posters, if you go to the tabac you get free lighters with his omnipotence on them.  Go Johnny, he has and continues to sell millions of tracks, I would not mind being 10 euros poorer than he is........... 

He ugly mug seems also be be on every other product in the supermaket. Been that way since we moved here over 2 years ago. He must make more money from promoting products tham selling records. It just goes to show the dire condition of the French music and film industry, if he is the French 'STAR' Like seeing Cliff RIchard's mug shot on every other product sold.

No oil painting, but he is well liked, I think they said something like 60 million records sold on one of the French music shows.  Credit were it's due, if folks want him to advertise for them and people still buy his albums in droves then good for him.........

When I look at him, he reminds me of one of those UK saddo's that were mildly famous in the 60s or early 70s . The type who can't give it up and get a normal job but continually tour and play at social clubs.

I realise he's clearly loaded - he just doesn't seem to have any taste! 

When I look at him, he reminds me of one of those UK saddo's that were mildly famous in the 60s or early 70s . The type who can't give it up and get a normal job but continually tour and play at social clubs.

True, but he doesn't need to do social clubs!  If he did a tour of all the Zeniths in France, he'd easily sell out each and every one, no problem.  You wouldn't be able to park within a mile of where he was performing.

His style may not appeal, but he has a phenomenal voice.  And he adopts little children.  He's cool.

And he adopts little children.  He's cool

I wasn't too impressed with his comments about how he's discovered fatherhood with Jade. I hope his previous child (children? I only know of David) doesn't mind.

To get an idea of how long he's been going; He plays one of the pupils in "les diaboliques" (1954) but blink and you miss him.

"Johnny has done pretty well for a Belgian. Why a saddo? He has a strong following, loads of exposure and sales, and can fill almost any venus he chooses. Sounds like succcess to me."

I didn't say he was a saddo, I just think he looks like the type of faded, jaded pop star you see in the UK still doing the rounds.

I'm all too accurately aware that he's successful and he may well be able to fill any venue, but I still can't see the attraction or obsession that the French have with him. He sounds terrible!

I saw an interview with his first wife recently, can't remember her name, but she looked so elegant.

but I still can't see the attraction or obsession that the French have with him. He sounds terrible!

Each to their own!  I still think Edith Piaf sounds like nails on blackboard, no matter how many times people tell me what a hard life she had.   Dalida doesn't sound quite so bad, but I just don't find her in the least bit interesting....... no matter how many times people tell me what a hard life she had! 

Johnny brought modern music into France, and the French are very faithful to their heroes, dead or alive.   They like them even better if they had a hard life.

He had a daughter with Nathalie Baye, Laura I think she was called. I don't think that he has had babies with the childwomen he has hooked up with since then. Some seem too young for his son, never mind the Dad.

It is true that in general dead or alive one can have a very faithful following in France. Which brings me to Thierry Ardisson, is he dead or alive these days, I have seen waxwork dummies that look more 'alive' than he does at the moment.........me thinks perhaps he should give up the plastic surgery.

Thank you Dick. Must be wishful thinking brought on by a tasty red(head)!

Perhaps one day we can discuss the effect of wordprocessing on basic spelling as represented in the various forums on France. And the effect of wine on word processing.

Stay warm. It is cold in and dank in Belgium which is why the Belgians flee to the Midi.