Myths about France

Viv

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debra, If you really do need a copy of your husbands full certificate the quickest way is to send a cheque to the office where he was originally registered, with the details. Ordering from the GRO is taking several weeks at present, due to the popularity of 'Family History' which is apparently seasonal.

They do eat froggy legs, Cathy.   Usually buy them frozen in big bags from supermarkets.  But most of them come from faraway places like Vietnam.

Fry them in garlic and parsley.  I've had them a few times in people's homes, although never seen them in restaurants.   I've had snails in people's homes too, but you rarely see them on menus round here.  Maybe it's a regional thing?

I read somewhere that the frogs' legs get sent to Germany and the snails to Spain. Though I've only ever had frogs' legs in a Spanish restaurant. I've never been to Germany but someone who lives nearer could hop over to find out?

"Waiter, do you have frogs' legs?"

"No sir, it's just the way I walk."

"Waiter, waiter can you get me a crocodile sandwich?"

"Yes sir!"

"Go on then, and make it snappy."

(Resurrected from the Old Jokes' Home)

I'll get my coat...

Frogs are certainly fished around here,

using a snail as bait (it would have to be really). I've never questioned too

closely those I have observed in the throes of combat with the unfortunate

amphibians, but given their devious mien and surreptitious nature I rather

suspect that they shouldn't be catching them. They are here at least a

traditional offering on July 14th. We even have a “frog fair” nearby

where one can sample frogs legs cooked in curry sauce (truly an experience to be

avoided) as well as more “normal” preparations involving lots or garlic. Supplies for

this come from Asia though.

[quote user="jond"] frogs legs cooked in curry sauce (truly an experience to be avoided) [/quote]

Saw this on the everyday menu in an Asian in Nimes.  Didn't try it.  Not too keen "fusion" foods.  Or French attempts at curry!

According to CIWF, most frog legs come from Indonesia, where the frogs are gathered alive, cut open across the belly, and take about an hour to die.

You're not allowed to collect frogs in France for eating.

I eat them if they're presented to me, but wouldn't buy them, and as everyone says, they do taste like chicken.  The flavour comes from what they're cooked in.

I have never eaten snails or frog legs - they would have to be well hidden in a sandwich or something; but I have seen what I think is mashed up snail paste in the freezer section of the supermarket and is it naturally that bright green colour or what do they add to it?

Thanks, if it's just garlic butter I shall have to get some...it looks a bit more gutsy than the little boxed cubes of butter I buy. I

have never looked that closely before as  I do tend to give that section of the freezer a wide birth!

I've also had snails in this region that have been removed from their shells and deep fried in batter, fairly pleasant in a chewy sort of way as a snack.  Snail soup in south Germany and a sort of soup filled with very small white snails, the type that climb to the top of posts in the evening, in Spain, these were in their shells and you have to pick them out with your fingers and suck the snail out - not bad at all.

Chris

I have sometimes wondered who or how certain things came to be eaten. For example whelks ,lobsters,snails, frogs. I can accept that people may have ben hungry but who might have thought that shrimps may be edible , or mussels?

Shrimps and mussels are obvious compared to snails, where the preparation takes a week and is very labour intensive. And snails don't (in my opinion at least) taste anywhere near as good as s and m. I have always imagined that in the past protein was perennially in short supply and so all possible sources were pursued, and a good deal of inconvenience was put up with. After all, if something isn't actually poisonous then someone, somewhere eats it. If it is poisonous the Japanese probably eat it...

[quote user="saddie"]I have sometimes wondered who or how certain things came to be eaten. For example whelks ,lobsters,snails, frogs. I can accept that people may have ben hungry but who might have thought that shrimps may be edible , or mussels?[/quote]

Poverty, and lack of contact with the outside world for trade.  If you're stuck there, you have to eat what's there.