Well That Was Fun ......... Not

Well we spent today removing the bath, next month we are fitting a new suite and decided to get a head start and take the bath out, After knocking down the terracotta brick wall that was acting as a bath panel I found we had a cast iron bath!!!!! in a nice shade of greeny/browny/goldy yuck[:-))]

Ever tried moving a cast iron bath ?? if not don't they are exceedingly damn heavy and awkward esp. in a small bathroom, still we got it out between the two of us with only one elastoplast (me) and one pulled back muscle(Patti)

I'll get to grips with French plumbing and the weird selection of pipe sizes next month I supposeLOL [:D]

[quote user="Bassman"] Ever tried moving a cast iron bath ?? if not don't they are exceedingly damn heavy and awkward esp. in a small bathroom... [/quote]

Yes. 

We gave up after about 10 minutes and smashed it to pieces with a lump hammer.  [:-))]

Even the pieces were heavier than you would imagine. Good luck with the pipes. It sounds like fun![:D]

Edit: My post cossed with Dicks. I should have mentioned the body armour too.

Tresco, here are some apostrophes for future use........ ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' 

Why thank you Madame Bay. I'll be sure to keep them in a safe place [:-))] (Not Corsica).

What I said made it sound like my post crossed with the posts of more than one Dick, rather than the one and only Dick who had made a post previous to mine.

I'll get there one day. It should have been Dicks', yes?  [:D]

I'm pretty chuffed that we managed to get it out into the log store in one piece, not bad for a couple of 50somethings(Well I'm 50 next month the wife is 52 [:-))]) one with a dodgy knee and the other with a dodgy back.

I'm now threatening to make it into a garden ornament [;-)][:D]

Dick's. Only one of me.

Think of it as 's rather than '.

So Dick makes a post, it is Dick + 's = Dick's

If it was Des, Des + 's = Des's, but two 's' next to each other can be silly, so it can be lost.

If there was more than one Dick:  Dicks (plural of Dick, add s) + 's = Dicks's = too many esses, so drop the last one = Dicks'

The sound is a sort of [sz] and it is that which you are trying to capture.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]If there was more than one Dick:  Dicks (plural of Dick, add s) + 's = Dicks's = too many esses, so drop the last one = Dicks'

[/quote]

Could you give us an example of a sentence with a plurality of Dicks in it?   Don't worry about the dropped one.

[quote user="Tresco"]

Paul, smash it up with a Lump Hammer. 

It will only annoy you in the end if you don't. It's a job better done now.[:)]

[/quote]

Yeah I probably will unless I can get someone to take it away along with the rest of the bathroom and kitchen sink etc. Didn't want to start swinging a sledge hammer in the bathroom as it's not very big and I would have probably taken a wall out by accident [:-))]

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]If there was more

than one Dick:  Dicks (plural of Dick, add s) + 's = Dicks's = too

many esses, so drop the last one = Dicks'

[/quote]

Could you give us an example of a sentence with a plurality of Dicks in it?   Don't worry about the dropped one.

[/quote]

After the theatre, the Dickies went to dinner and both Dickies had Dicky tummy's after.

There didn't drop one, well not that I noticed and a tinsy bit of plurality to boot [:D]

I can sympathise, we diod exactlty the same thing a few weeks ago. I have made a vow that it's the last time I replace a cast iron bath.

Having got ours out in one piece, we offered it to our neighbouring farmer who was delighted to come and take it away to use as a water trough for his cows. No problem moving it when you've a got a tractor with forks on the front !

......No problem moving it when you've a got a tractor with forks on the front !"

No but I bet getting the tractor up the stairs caused a problem [:D]

Note the smile new Mod [:D] ................and there's another just in case !!

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

[quote user="Miki"]After the theatre, the Dickies went to dinner and both Dickies had Dicky tummy's after.

[/quote]

Tresco, quick!!   Miki's nicked one of your apostrophes, and he's used it extraneously!!  [:-))]

[/quote]

Oye, Oye,

We'll have none of them there bottom jokes on 'ere, thanking you SB !

[quote user="SaligoBay"][quote user="Miki"]After the theatre, the Dickies went to dinner and both Dickies had Dicky tummy's after. [/quote]

Tresco, quick!!   Miki's nicked one of your apostrophes, and he's used it extraneously!!  [:-))]

[/quote]

Yes, in Tummy's.

Is that why Dick said 'eeek'?

' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' All present and correct. Miki must have got his from the grocer's[:)]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Block up the plughole, sink it into the ground and make a water feature out of it, possibly in front of the mound of earth where the fosse is buried (but don't hit the fosse) Very wildlife friendly...........[:D]

[/quote]

That's what I suggested to SWMBO [;-)] but she doesn't seem keen on the idea [8-)] a mini duck pond [:-))]

I think this bathroom suite was probably very chic when it was installed in the 80's a sort of green/gold iridescent finish even the kitchen sink was the same colour [8-)] When I removed the sink it turned out to be a pottery one (and heavy) for some insane reason I though the bath was made of the same substance and would be equally heavy but easy to smash, it was only when I removed the wall (i.e. bath panel) I found it was cast iron but the surface in the bottom was shot (all rough) and it's a short bath and I'm a long person so it had to go!

The fun re-starts in 9 days when we return and start on the plumbing

[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="SaligoBay"][quote user="Miki"]After

the theatre, the Dickies went to dinner and both Dickies had Dicky

tummy's after. [/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, in Tummy's.

Is that why Dick said 'eeek'?

' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' All present and correct. Miki must have got his from the grocer's[:)]

[/quote]

2lb of King Edwards, 1lb of bananas and ooh look, those apostrophes

over there look really nice, I'll take 6 of them as well, ta  [:D]

2lb of King Edwards, 1lb of bananas and ooh look, those apostrophes over there look really nice, I'll take 6 of them as well, ta  [:D]

6!!  Well, who's being a bit flash with the cash, today then!!  Wow!  I could never afford that many!!  Like lots of ! marks, though.  They are really cheap!!!  [:-))]