Aerial photographs of your house

A recommendation posted by a user of our local Normandy forum -

Go to www.pagesjaunes.fr, select the 'Pages Blanches' option., Look up your own number (or that of a near neighbour). If you see 'Vue aerienne' in the listing, click on that and you get a aerial photograph of your house, that you can zoom in on to street level and closer in quite amazing detail (or at least you can for our area). If you don't have broadband it can take a while to load, but it should be well worth the wait.

That was fun Will.

It must have been taken just after our fosse was put in - you can see all the scarring very clearly. It was the year of the big Canicule, so everything looks bleached out; just my neighbours vegetables and the vines are green.

I'd love to see what it looks like now

It was! I could see both our roof terraces - and I didn't know there were that many swimming pools round about!

Couldn't get it to print, to show it off - but I suppose you can't have everything!

Thanks Will!

[quote user="Dick Smith"]It's great - we can count the cows in the field opposite!
Pity there isn't something similar for the UK.
[/quote]

There is, but you do lose some detail, although you can buy the pics printed, with the detail restored.

When I say UK, very little of Scotland is included, and I'm not sure about N.Ireland and Wales, although I THINK Wales is all done.

Go to www.multimap.com.

Make sure it's set to UK, put your, (or a chosen) postcode into the space allocated for it, (or alternatively, click on the UK map, keep clicking on successively larger scaled maps, until you are where you want to be), then click on the camera logo, labelled "aerial" in the puple header above the map.

Hours of fun. You can see ferries leaving Dover, trains in some large stations, and on larger engine sheds, etc etc.

Alcazar

I am so disappointed, we have an unlisted number therefore can't use the white pages that Will mentioned[:(]

After reading Richard-R's message I thought I may be able to retrieve by the address through Mappy but no such luck.  Any suggestions on how I can look at an aerial view of our French property without going through the white pages?

[quote user="Judith"]It was! I could see both our roof terraces - and I didn't know there were that many swimming pools round about! Couldn't get it to print, to show it off - but I suppose you can't have everything! Thanks Will![/quote]

Judith. You can print it. To the centre right of the screen is a tiny printer  "imprimer". Click that and it opens a new window with the same icon. Click that and away you go

Tony

A bit more in our area - just before we had the back garden paved. SW London was taken on a Saturday about 8.30am - you can tell that from the cars in the carpark at school (check SW15 3DG). I don't know if they use planes or helicopters, it certainly isn't satellite.

Hi WJT ,

All you need to do is type your village/town name in and a surname from your village(not sure if this is needed) and Code Postale. One small point is that it  those not have the detail of Google Earth, well at least not for the  Corbieres. But you can also capture the url and e-mail it to friends/family.

[quote user="Richard-R"]    Hi WJT ,
 One small point is that it  those not have the detail of Google Earth, well at least not for the  Corbieres.
[/quote]

I think it must be variable as for my house the Mappy/Pages blanc version has much much more detail/better clarity than Google Earth.  Must depend on where you line.

Ian

I’ve just checked my parents' address in 79, the photo is some 3 years old if not older, because in the last 18/24 months, at least, 2 new houses have been built on plots at the back of theirs and 1 of them with a swimming pool which doesn’t figure.

Still can see every tree in my father's garden....

If he had the technology at home I would show it to him. He would then rig up a tarpaulin over the lot! live under it away from prying eyes, citing that who ever took these photos was only out to think of and find more ways of swindling further taxes out of him!...

Dear old chap!... Not a fan of this technology in the least.

It worked by neighbour's surname, thank you. It is much better than Google Earth for our house; however, I believe it could be much older than three to four years. It doesn't show a few houses that have been built since the photo was taken and these houses looked quite established when we bought our house two years ago.

It is very interesting to wander around the area and the village and notice the changes, which there are quite a few. I am the opposite of Missyesbut's father; I wish I could zoom in closer to our property [:)].

[quote user="missyesbut"]

Looks like 'Big Brov...' to me...

[/quote]

Think that is bad - click on A QuiDonc est
ce numéro ?
 , enter the telephone number, pay your 50c and you can get an aerial view of the place that phoned you.

Does make you think about how many people/websites etc have your phone number.

rgds

hagar

p.s I am sure there is another site in france that offers this for free but can't remember the link.

[quote user="Hagar"][quote user="missyesbut"]

Looks like 'Big Brov...' to me...

[/quote]

Think that is bad - click on A QuiDonc est
ce numéro ?
 , enter the telephone number, pay your 50c and you can get an aerial view of the place that phoned you.

Does make you think about how many people/websites etc have your phone number.

rgds

hagar

p.s I am sure there is another site in france that offers this for free but can't remember the link.

[/quote]

Would that work with UK numbers?... Though... however curious I might be, I'll be damned if I pay the 50c requested!...

[quote user="Ssc"]

[quote user="Judith"]It was! I could see both our roof terraces - and I didn't know there were that many swimming pools round about! Couldn't get it to print, to show it off - but I suppose you can't have everything! Thanks Will![/quote]

Judith. You can print it. To the centre right of the screen is a tiny printer  "imprimer". Click that and it opens a new window with the same icon. Click that and away you go

Tony

[/quote]

Tony - thanks - I tried that one (imprimer) before I posted, and yes it does open up in a new window, but still I had a blank page produced on the printer!. Either my printer doesn't like it - or my Mac doesn't - not the first time, just a nuisance. I can live with that!

As you can also see - it doen't do a quote properly either!

An alternative way of getting a print of the photo is to press PrtSc (top right of PC keyboard). This will put an image onto the clipboard. Open a photo editor (or even Word) and click on Paste.

You will then have a file you can save.