Dismal quality of real estate listings - agents, lift your game!

I couldn't quite get used to the idea of the pantry-come-toilet off the kitchen. It was handy to be able to make an inventory of food supplies whilst otherwise engaged but I thought it might be a little more hygienic to make a new toilet room on the other side of the wall, using a small part of the large spare room. I even added a wash basin!

One farmhouse we looked at in the back of beyond when we were searching for a property had the sink, cooker, toilet and a shower all in the same room with no dividing walls or partitions. When I queried this with the agent, he told me, quite seriously, that the couple had nothing to hide from each other and this arrangement enabled monsieur to help madame with peeling vege, etc while doing his business.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]I couldn't quite get used to the idea of the pantry-come-toilet off the kitchen. It was handy to be able to make an inventory of food supplies whilst otherwise engaged but I thought it might be a little more hygienic to make a new toilet room on the other side of the wall, using a small part of the large spare room. I even added a wash basin! [/quote]

I hope you advised the authorities you had created an extra bathroom, so they could adjust your house's value accordingly[:D]

A toilet or a shower were a rarity in farmhouses where we first lived in 82.

We helped with the vendange on our first year there. Afterwards there was a meal served for all those involved, in the vast hallway of the farmhouse. Every course was chicken or egg based.

I asked for the toilet and was directed to a large mud-splattered door at the end of the hallway. At least I thought it was mud......

When I went through it I came face to face with several large cows munching hay; the spot designated as the current dunny was quite evident.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]Extra bathroom? I kept the same loo pan so it just moved a metre or so!

Yes, we were shown toilet-free properties. The agent pointed out that there were plenty of fields to choose from.[/quote]

I was referring to your installing a wash basin in the toilet.

According to the last H1 declaration I completed, doing so converted the toilet into a salle d'eau, which term includes salles de bains, salles de douches, and cabinets de toilette avec eau courante, and an extra one of any of these makes your house more luxurious, and thus liable to a higher taxable value.[:D]

And check the availability of replacement bulbs and their price. Its a real fright when they blow and original bulbs can be expensive. Easy to change though.

We have had two DLP (not LED) projectors, 720p then 1080p, both 3D capable. Luckily no one in the family was suseptable to colour banding.

We have had the same projector since April 2015. Have been very happy with it. Used on average 3 hours a day. The bulb blew this year, spectacular bang. Replacement was 50 euros and a video tutorial from Youtube. We have it suspended from a beam on the ceiling, above where we sit, projecting onto a 2.2m screen. Need a darkened room to get a really clear picture, 1080p is fab. Tried the 3d, but too much hassle. Run films from the computer on an HDMI cable to an AVI amplifier to a 5.1 sound system. The AVI amp allows pass through of the video signal to the projector on a 10 meter cable without any problem. Ours was for films only to begin with too. Once you watch the Blue Planet 2 on it, you will never look at a TV the same!!

The problem was that the AVI amp I had bought was an Onkyio which did not allow the pass through of a 3D signal. So when you projected the 3d signal through it to the screen, the glasses would not work due to a lack of a 3d image. We managed a work round using the NVidia 3d active glasses system, (that being the GPU in the computer). When we did, the results were, in no 2 son's opinion, worth it.

As an aside, have just finished building a home theater pc (HTPC) system for the flat we are moving into. As the livingroom is not yet projector friendly, a large screen 3D TV is the temporary solution. It is a 4k one, but despite the HTPC i3 cpu from intel claiming to run 3,840 x 2,160 pixels, it clearly could not. Installed a separate graphics card yesterday and watch Planet Earth 2 in UHD. The quality is breathtaking. So it might be worth "future proofing" the system with a 4k projector. Just a thought.

I have found that automotive ball joints and other components made by Lemförder are superior to most other makes generally available, and are OEM equipment on many VAG vehicles.

This is due to the design of the cap covering the top of the ball joint, where the ball assembly is inserted during manufacture.

Cheap designs use a thin stamped cap, which has a larger space between the ball and the cap, compared with the thicker machined caps.

The gap is filled with a cheap injected plastic webbing to make the socket structure between the cap and the ball, rather than a thin solid layer of a hard plastic similar to that used in bushings.

This plastic webbing gradually compresses under load, causing excessive play in the joint, which leads to premature failure or diagnosis of "excessive wear".