Matching undies

Ruth

Has anyone else been irritated today by the latest rantings of Helena Frith Powell in the Sunday Times? Not for the first time she goes on about being a Frenchwoman means having to wear matching lacy undies and that the Brits don't do so. She has lived in France for 6 years so of course she speaks as an expert!! Having lived in France full time for 12 years I don't profess to have intimate knowledge of my neighbours' undies but can remember well buying.....along with many friends.....matching lacy sets from M&S in shades of cream and dusky pink!! All this was about the woman who woke up thinking she was French and how she would have to chage her ways! She also says that the male equivalent would have to stop going down the pub and asking for a lukewarm beer asking instead for'a glass of your finest Burgundy along with olives stuffed with anchovies'......for aperitifs....best Burgundy?....nuff said

Bonne Annee  Ruth

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess her six years have been spent in Paris or one of the other cities. She has obviously not, in all that time, visited a market in a rural Normandy town and seen the underwear that real French women choose - jumbo size, sort of peachy fleshy shade of dusky pink, very strong industrial-grade elastic and not a hint of wispiness or lace.

I must admit that my mother in law always looked shocked that I didn't have matching underwear and she was from a mining community in darkest northern England and born in 1924.  I'll have to ask friends about this. I have no idea as to what underwear my french friends wear, not at all.

Yes Andy, I was going to say that all the markets have a fancy underwear stall, colours a bit garish though. Also supermarkets sell them, and this is in deepest rural Gers. Whether people actually wear them is another matter. Pat.

There must have been an offer on leopard print at some time as our youngest reports to us that her friends mum wears a string in that pattern............other half cringes at the thought!

As for matching sets.........more[img]http://bestsmileys.com/flashing/6.gif[/img] good luck than management with me I am affraid, first ones I get my hands on

[quote user="Ruth"]Has anyone else been irritated today by the latest rantings of Helena Frith Powell in the Sunday Times? [/quote]

That woman has always irritated me!

I have not read the ST, I'll admit, but I'll risk it and assume this is the same line she was peddling for a TV program a couple of years ago, when she had to humiliate herself (all in the name of journalism) and go to various chic underwear shops in Paris to get kitted out...

Stereotype, bored, yawn...

Helena Frith Powell was the child of a divorced Italian father and a Swedish mother. She was brought up in England but I think she missed out on the essential advice of all British Grans about being run over by a bus!!

Matching undies ? !  I can't even find a pair of matching socks ! Where is the other sock, I ask.  They all seem to be there when they go in the machine, then when they are dry and ready to be sorted, where is the second one ?  I have a great big pile of single socks, I keep them just in case the other one might show up one day.