Chimney Fires

The very best way to stop taking any chances of both having your home smelling of the smoake that just returned down your chimney and fumes killing you would be to fit one of the spinning type cowels,

this in a stainless steel device and it stops any kind of animal or bird making nest in it as it cant get in, but more important is the fact that the design enables smoke to be drawn out and wind etc cant be drown into the chimney breast when you dont have a fire lit, also rain cant get down the chimney and in the summer when you dont have a fire lit the inside of the chimney is being aired due to the cowel spinning action.

Ive found that having fitted this type of cowel this year that we're not burning as many logs as the last year and the only thing to be aware of is when cleaning the chimney, is not to push the device off the chimney pot,

It.s a well worth while device and a safe way of being sure no nest no blockage.

I purchased mine at the local brico and it cost me  124 euro. (a small price to pay for a reduction in the fuel bill and a safe nights sleep.)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all really interesting.  We had our chimney swept two years ago when we moved in then had a Jotal wood burning fire installed.  Does anyone know whether we still need to have our chimney swept.......there is just so much to learn...Thanks

[quote user="Carole"]

This is all really interesting.  We had our chimney swept two years ago when we moved in then had a Jotal wood burning fire installed.  Does anyone know whether we still need to have our chimney swept.......there is just so much to learn...Thanks

[/quote]Yes, Carole, definately, I had a woodburning stove in the UK for 20 years and have one here.  It was an insurance requirement to have the chimney swept in the UK and may be for you here (you need to read the terms of your policy).  If you read this thread from the beginning, you'll find most of this covered - and the reason why it is so important.  My own recommendation is to get a professional to do it once a year - and provide a certificate if it is an insurance requirement - then either sweep it our use the correct chemicals every couple of months during the burning season. 

[quote user="Lou"]When I read the post saying "do not use chemical products in your stainless steel flue", I checked the one we have been using - and it specifically says it's ok to use for stainless steel flues.  Whichever chemical it is that you shouldn't use (can't remember what it's called!) corrodes the steel. 

Lou

[/quote]

Lou,

Any chance that you might post the name of the product you use, a number of us would be most grateful for the info.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Davidh"]excuse the ignorance but what exactly are ramonage logs ?[/quote]

It's a loggy thing you burn in your fireplace and the resultant volcanic eruption is supposed to clean the chimney. I've never used one because I am of a nervous disposition. I'm told that they come with a certificate to say that the chimney has been swept. Or blown up, or whatever.

[:-))] I never thought about translating log, that is really really amazing. And I am not being sarcastic or anything here, it is just that I never thought it out fully as in doing a proper translation.

In future if I am giving a definition I will try and do better........... and I still am not being sarcastic.

And that is why the cute kitten teaches and I don't and perhaps couldn't.

[quote user="Miki"]...bouche de ramonage ?

[/quote]

[:D]

"bûche", I think Miki - as in bûche de Noel but not so icky...

I bought one once (being of a braver disposition than the fluffy one), and it was a bit of a damp squib to be honest.  I had no confidence that it would be worth a brawny "ramoneur".  It smouldered sulkily away in the vast open fireplace; a few flakes of something dropped down the chimney, but nothing at all impressive.

Angela

Not at all, TU, I just had visions of someone ramming a log up their chimney to unblock it...

I need our chimney swept, but the last time it took weeks to dig out the ramoneur, he did a rotten job and never offered us a certificate. Cash deal, I suspect he was a sweep working on the black.  I said a sweep working - oh, never mind.

[quote user="Loiseau"]

[quote user="Miki"]...bouche de ramonage ?

[/quote]

[:D]

"bûche", I think Miki - as in bûche de Noel but not so icky...

I bought one once (being of a braver disposition than the fluffy one), and it was a bit of a damp squib to be honest.  I had no confidence that it would be worth a brawny "ramoneur".  It smouldered sulkily away in the vast open fireplace; a few flakes of something dropped down the chimney, but nothing at all impressive.

Angela

[/quote]

Thank you Angela,

I haven't bought one but had an inkling to its approx name [;-)] I expect it tastes better than the bûche de Noël though [:)]

• 2 weeks later...
Some useful information, my father gave me years ago, which  is how to put out a chimney fire.

1. Throw salt on the fire.
  2. Then cover contents of fireplace with a damp piece of sacking or fairly heavy cloth.
  3. Do not throw water on the fire!
Mind you I hope you never have to use this advice!

I have used this method, as soon as I heard the roaring in the chimney, and it worked like a dream - when the firebrigade arrived the fire was already out!!!