What is it like returning to the UK ?

Deimos

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tresco

why is it always catholics that "lapse"?  we don't talk about a lapsed protestant, do we?  or, more specifically, how about a lapsed presbyterian or lapsed methodist, or any of the other non-catholic christians?

are there lapsed muslims, budhists, hindus, sikhs, jews?  or even a lapsed atheist?

this may not be about returning to the uk, but there ARE any number of these "lapsed" folk in france or (indeed the uk) and, perhaps, they'd all like to return to ...er..their roots and stop being lapsed?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

tresco

why is it always catholics that "lapse"?  we don't talk about a lapsed protestant, do we?  or, more specifically, how about a lapsed presbyterian or lapsed methodist, or any of the other non-catholic christians?

are there lapsed muslims, budhists, hindus, sikhs, jews?  or even a lapsed atheist?

this may not be about returning to the uk, but there ARE any number of these "lapsed" folk in france or (indeed the uk) and, perhaps, they'd all like to return to ...er..their roots and stop being lapsed?

[/quote]

Would prostitutes become pro-lapsed.............................[:)]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

tresco

[/quote]

Sorry Sweets, I missed your post.

I thought about changing it to 'recovered/recovering Catholic' after posting. I think 'lapse' is used because a lapse is a temporary thing, and many of those of us brought up in that manner who do 'lapse', tend to recant at the drop of a hat when faced with evidence of approaching death?.

This is just a guess, and I'm not suggesting that hat dropping should be banned, either. [:)]

By the way, I read today that officially France is no longer a 'Catholic' country.

Phrases such as 'lapsed Jews' or 'lapsed Muslims' are indeed used, and relatively common, having exactly the meaning you would expect. I don't think there is any temporary connotation, once you lapse you are lapsed and you stay lapsed unless you re-engage, so I am in some dubiety about your thesis here.

My thesis is that 99% of 'lapsed' Catholics 'repent' on their death beds.

As long as they are sincere, (scared witless) they are welcomed back into the bosom of the church, just as they leave it (in a corporeal sense).

I thought only Catholics had this great good luck, but now, I'm wiser.

[quote user="Tresco"]

My thesis is that 99% of 'lapsed' Catholics 'repent' on their death beds.

As long as they are sincere, (scared witless) they are welcomed back into the bosom of the church, just as they leave it (in a corporeal sense).

I thought only Catholics had this great good luck, but now, I'm wiser.

[/quote]"Lapsed Catholic" is the phrase used by some members of my family in the hope that I will do this, Tresco!  I refer to myself, however as an "ex-Catholic"!

Which beggars the fact that the excuse given for deleting all those previous posts on this thread was....................................wait for it...................

Off subject.

I have no problems with anything going off subject but as a lapsed personne interdite I feel an affinity with the subject [;-)]

I think everything necessary, and a lot that's not, has now been said about going to England - so if the mods want to move us to another bit of the forum, why not?

Then we can freely get back to the serious stuff about mini-habits [Www]