Rubbish. Ggrrr.

I really don't mind having to sort the household rubbish five ways these days - green stuff on the compost, glass into one bac, paper into another, "recyclables" into a third and whatever is left over into the forth.

I don't even mind that "they" only come for the general waste every fortnight rather than weekly, though that could change during the summer.

What really hacks me off is that for some reason I have yet to fathom, the dustcart arrives in our little hamlet at half-past one on a Tuesday morning, shattering the silence with engine noise, blepping as it backs round the corner at the bottom of the lane and assorted Gallic shouting.

What possible advantage are they gaining by doing this? Are dustcarts now utilised 24 hours a day in the interests of "effeciency"???

It must be a French thing-ours comes at 5am now stops outside bedroom window-flashing orange light et -al,collects 3 houses bins which are noisy being rolled and emptied.This is every week-one week rubbish,next weel plastic bottles.It even wakes up the cockrel acroos the road -bless it.Now we may as well delete sunday night/monday mornings from the calendar!!! Maude

When we stay with our friends in Marseille, it is always a shock to be woken up EVERY DAY at 4.30 - 5.00am by the rubbish collectors.  They are not subtle about it.  The first time we heard it, we thought there was a terrible accident in the street, all that banging and the sound of metal dropping from a great height together with shouting.

[quote user="Tresco"]

5am is very bad, but the unearthly hour mentioned by Mr Ruff Riff, along with the 'blepping' leads me to suspect he lives on a Hellmouth.

[/quote]

What's a Hellmouth? Is it something to do with gingivitis?

I'll have you know I live on a very nice little lane. About the only thing that lowers the tone around here is me.[Www]

At least yours gets collected. We have to take our various sacks to the big bins and glass bank in the village. Then other types of rubbish to the dechetterie in the nearest town. And have you ever tried to dispose of (medicinal) injection needles/syringes legally?

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"]

What really hacks me off is that for some reason I have yet to fathom, the dustcart arrives in our little hamlet at half-past one on a Tuesday morning, shattering the silence with engine noise, blepping as it backs round the corner at the bottom of the lane and assorted Gallic shouting.

What possible advantage are they gaining by doing this? Are dustcarts now utilised 24 hours a day in the interests of "effeciency"???

[/quote]

I seem to remember this started in the mid '90's when we had a mobile home on the coast at St Hilaire de Riez and was done because with the sheer volume of summer traffic the dustcart simply took hours to get round so night time collections started for July and August only.

Some time after I guess it must have been decided that this time for collections was simply more efficient.

But they do enjoy making a noise don't they?  [6]

Hellmouths, Riffy, are places of increased supernatural energy. Fact. [;-)]

They are often to be found in sunny dales. This energy draws groups of attractive, butt-kicking females to the general vicinity of the Mouth. They often sport crosses and unfeasible quantities of holy water. Beware of beefcake tumbling from the sky in a soulful kind of way. Insomniac dustcarts can be an indicator of the presence of a hellmouth.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Very easy to get rid of sharps, there's even a law about it which puts the obligation on the dechet system to provide facilities.  We get free yellow boxes in 24, fill them up and take them to the dechetterie to be exchanged, no limit on the numbers and the system works very well. [/quote]

Can I send some your way then? I have an ever growing number of full sharps bins sitting in the cave. No problem getting them from the pharmacie who used to exchange them. They stopped taking them about 18 months ago saying the dechetterie was now supposed to take them,  the local dechetterie says it hasn't the facilities.