house sale

Scafell,  We bought a holiday house four years ago and use it about three times a year. We live in north uk and with fuel prices soaring, it is getting very expensive to get there.I am nearing retirement and we cannot afford to keep the house so we have put it on the market.What are our options if the house does not sell. We do not want to rent it out and our children are not interested in owning the house. Is it possible to give it to the commune as a last resort?

Eventually the commune will reposses for none payment of local taxes but you need to have lost any trail to your UK bank account before then.

I cannot believe that if you cut the price deep enough and post it on this forum some chancer will not take it on or will not offer you four weeks holiday a year in return for a very low price

[quote user="Anton Redman"]I cannot believe that if you cut the price deep enough and post it on this forum some chancer will not take it on or will not offer you four weeks holiday a year in return for a very low price[/quote]

Ahem... just in time to post a friendly reminder concerning the bit of the forum code of conduct which mentions not advertising your goods or services...[:)]

A good option would be to donate it to a charity for a fixed period (5-10 years). With the stipulation that they maintain it to its current standard. They can then rent it out to earn income and will pay all local taxes etc. We have done this with a house we own in Rome, which is now used by a charity which runs pilgrimages for disabled persons to the Vatican. It is a good way have a tax free investment because you can offset any capital gains againt the market value of the donation. Plus you may even get a tax refund :) with this kind of asset storage when you decide to sell it.

I would imagine you would need to contact eBay to find out what special terms and conditions there are for auctioning a house.

The advert I saw included details of paying a deposit at the end of the auction prior to conducting all the formalities in France. 

• 3 weeks later...