Armed hunt controllers

JohnRoss

Whilst having lunch the other day in our village Auberge I noticed two chaps wearing sort of light grey jump suit uniforms. Both were wearing very large revolvers on their hips. I asked Madame who they were and she said, I think, that they were a sort of police force for La Chasse. I imagine they were looking for illegal hunters but my thought was what did they need the guns for? Can it be they are not liked and may find themselves in a shoot-out with some irate hunter, the mind boggles. Anyone else come across this?...........................................JR 

Quel est l’uniforme d’un agent technique ou un technicien de l’environnement ?

Un agents technique ou un technicien de l’environnement affecté à l'Office national de la chasse et de la faune sauvage en service est porteur d'un uniforme, notamment un képi et une tenue réglementaire, avec les insignes spécifiques de sa fonction, dont la plaque des Eaux et Forêts, et son appartenance à l'Office national de la chasse et de la faune sauvage. Il est aussi obligatoirement porteur de son arme de défense et de sa commission ministérielle.

http://www.cc-baschablais.com/images/chens/12764-2.pdf

Merci Clair. Thanks for the link too. I had not come across this before. They seem to have considerable powers too. So have there been incidents when they have been shot at, from the information you have provided I can only assume yes. Such passion strikes me as a little frightening. Do they become involved with anti-hunt demos? Not that I have heard of any of those around here in Deux Sevres.........................JR

They are there to protect the hunters. There are so many Brit tree huggers wandering around the countryside muttering to themselves that the hunters felt threatened and called for protection. If you wander about the countryside you really should learn the french for "stop, armed chasse police, put your hands on your head, get onto your knees now lay flat on the ground" if you do not follow these instructions you are liable to be shot.

JMB - you could be right.

Sunday before last I saw two hunters near us so went to ask them if it was safe for me to do some gardening. (They had been blasting away.) They were looking quite upset, said our english neighbour had been very rude to them, called them all sorts of bad names. They looked as if they needed some protection, and were cheering themselves up with a bottle of red.

Our neighbour had called the gendarmes, but was evidently told that it was up to him to put up notices if he wanted them to keep away.

They were ok with me and said there was no risk. They had left the area before the gendarmes arrived.

Thanks for your thoughts folks. My neighbour is a keen hunter with his two teenage sons and keeps a pack of 5 dogs which only get out of their kennels to go hunting which is sad for them and us as they howl quite a bit during the night. They must be after heavy stuff as they tote rifles as well as shotguns so I think they must be after the boar and deer which we have around here. Lot of valleys around here too so I hope they always remember to shoot with close ground behind the target and not sky as a rifle bullet can go a long way! Even though hunting is quite alien to most of  us townies he is a nice enough bloke and it is very much a way of life for the locals around here. They enjoy running around  blowing their hunting horns and I imagine they sometimes bring something back for the pot. They don't seem to use the vermin control excuse for doing it , they do it because they enjoy it. I keep my opinions on the subject to myself, wise I think.............................JR

PS In my late teens I also did a bit of shooting and was never happy with trying to kill small destructive, I told myself at the time, creatures. I soon realised I was more interested in the guns and not the prey so I joined a rifle club until I got it out of my system. 

[quote user="JMB"]They are there to protect the hunters. There are so many Brit tree huggers wandering around the countryside muttering to themselves that the hunters felt threatened and called for protection. If you wander about the countryside you really should learn the french for "stop, armed chasse police, put your hands on your head, get onto your knees now lay flat on the ground" if you do not follow these instructions you are liable to be shot.[/quote]

all together now, ahhhhhhhhhhh - poor hunters needing protection from UK tree/bunny huggers. I can't believe it!

• 2 weeks later...

Several hunters have been killed by tree huggers /anti hunt in the last few years

Families, individuals, being townies, or country dwellers, born or bred, ie the majority- have their lives seriously hampered by the activity of the tree huggers/anti hunt and have to keep indoors or behind fences (and that is not even a guarantee of safety)- now I'm not talking just about poor expats who don ;t 'understand French culture' - but the majority of the French population who is sick to the teeth of not being able to go out for a walk for months on end. The fact (many) tree huggers start on calva or other strong gniolle at breakfast and go on boozing during the day (yes, I know, not all - but far too many) doesn't help. I have friends all over rural France, born and bred there, who cannot stand the tree huggers -some bec. they are pro-hunt, but most bec. they are imprisoned by it. Not talking of course of the arrogance and rudeness of some (not all, but far too many). This thread is NOT about for or anti- but about the fact that the majority is locked out of the countryside by a minority- who often behaves badly.
If 5 people a month died of meningitis, eveybody would be up in arms (didn;t mean the pun- just happened).

i cannot believe people in france get pissed up then get in there 4x4s and drive to a tree then hug it, where i live in deux sevres the french get pissed then watch tv in there new build bungalows with there electric shutters down so you dont even see them