Trouble at Mill

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a storm in a Tf cup!

What a sign of the insulation from everyday lives that some people have that they can make so much fuss about something so trivial.

Leaving aside  International crises such as Gaza or Zimbabwe, and just thinking of France and the UK :

There are people who are ill, dying  losing their livelihoods, managing on reduced pensions,  facing impossible decisions because of the current crisis, and all this fuss is going on over a few ruffled egos on an Internet site.

It would be comic  out of context, but given the difficulties tackled by  members of the several Fora that Clair has quoted,  it becomes something darker, a sort of smug contempt for the ordinary person.

I'm not talking about the discussion on  here, but about the disproportionate importance given to it on the old (other)  site and the new imitation.

I'm tempted to sign

Disgusted of T....

I wasn't going to say anything, for much the reasons that disgusted Norman has outlined so clearly, and because I have far more interesting and worthwhile things in my life than internet forums. But one of the things that really got up my nose about that other forum was the way that if somebody posted who was suffering hardship or was obviously depressed and lonely, there were always plenty of smug idiots saying how happy they were in France and how those whose life hadn't turned out so well should just sort themselves out. Nice.

I have to say there is quite a bit of target practise at anyone who is fortunate enough to earn/recieve more than a UK state pension. I am one of those so called city spivs which is even worse. But..... a forum is a great place to express angst, ire, frustration as well as awesome information on pratical subjects and amusing observations. I have realised very quickly, not to take criticisms or comments too seriously. Put it this way, how many people embark on some form of roadrage from growling at other drivers to some form of hand gesture, but take them out of the car where they are no longer anonymous and they transform back to normal well behaved individuals. If you take it all to heart you end up spoiling everything.

[quote user="Clair"]There are quite a few other Franco-British fora for you to try, Odile:

[/quote]

The excessively long hyperlien included above has apparently now been apocopated; so acolytes of "midgetURL" put your cursors away.

www.thefrenchforum.net

Not much used in English but a popular word in Spanish, in which language it is even used widely to define the grammatical result of shortening a word. Apocopation is particularly prevalent in Andalucia in general and in particular almost always applied to the past participle used in a compound or modal verbal construction. Madrileños frequently aspire to joke by saying that los paysanos of Castilla La Vieja, who speak the perfect castellano of " el que puso la mancha", NEVER apocopate their words. These castillians accordingly might consider one day visiting Bilbado rather than Bilbao.[:)]  "El que puso la mancha....Don Miguel Cervantes autor de Don Quijote de La Mancha. In spanish apocopacion without a "t".

You lot are rubbish I left completely silently a day ago in the classiest way possible and no-one even noticed!...........By way of a protest I have therefore decided to stay....Oh and Mills and Boon are publishers of fine romantic fiction (Tenuous link back to original topic in accordance with approved procedures) all is well.........

Oh and bananas don't grow on trees, they are a herb!