Show us your loaves - breadmaking problems !

OK - I have to admit defeat.

OH wants 'softer bread'....so we've bought a breadmaking machine with convection fan.

It's been a total disaster.  Had three attempts and am going to throw the machine in the nearest well !!

First attempt; followed exactly the recipe in the handbook - to the smallest grain of flour and drop of water. Plugged machine in, listened to it churning, and kneading and bumping away - great.  We went out for a walk, and when we came back I was horrified to discover that the machine had turned itself off mid-cycle. Why ? I had overlooked this rubbishy French electrical system - anything that has a thermostat control like an electric iron, heated hair rollers, hair tongs, electric blanket - once the right temperature has been achieved and the gadget turns itself off - it won't come back on until the plug is removed from the socket and replaced or it's tripped at the meter.  So the breadmaker needs to be plugged into one of these extension socket sets which has an on/off switch. 

So first attempt had to be thrown away.

Second attempt (with extension lead and same recipe from handbook) - the machine worked as it should...but the results were horrible. Heavy, stodgy bread - that wasn't white but instead was a grungy beige/taupe colour.  The flour I'm using is Francine Pain Maison with a lovely picture of a crispy crusty bread with white interior - but my attempt looks nothing like the picture.  Maybe I've become colour-blind !

Third attempt - this time I used the recipe from the packet of flour itself.  Again - it's ----- horrible.  The bread had risen better, but then whilst cooking the top didn't rise so when it was turned out it had sunk in the middle a bit.  And the bread is still this horrible beigy colour - NOT white.

So come on all you breadmakers.  I'm challenging all of you who say you happily use these bread-makers, the recipes you say you use are good and the results are tasty, excellent, look good.... I Want too SEE these wonderful loaves of bread - let's have some photos of your breadmaking successes !!!

I was expecting to be able to 'bake' nice crusty white bread with a top that had risen and looked wonderful.

And how the heck do you get the paddle out of the 'lump' that is cooked ?

HELP !!!! - please - before I head for the well to throw this 'gadget' into the murky depths !!

Chessie

Have to agree.

The bread I made in my Panasonic in the UK always looked and tasted great - white with a crusty top; but here (with a Lidl machine) - yuk.

So I ditched the machine and make a couple of small loaves every other day in the oven. I, too, use the Francine flour but Pain de Campagne, so it's not white, but rises and tastes OK. I make one loave in a loaf tin and the other in a round white china Ikea pot (the bread looks likes it's been cooked in a flower pot!). I find the results much, much better than using the machine, but I do use 2 packets of dried yeast to 500 grams of flour; and no paddles to fish out (there should have been a little wire hook with your machine for hooking the paddles out).

I have never used a bread machine: one reason being that most flour sold for bread making machines contains the very chemicals I started making my own bread to avoid!

Whilst I do still occasionally use fresh baker's yeast: and sometimes, for a change, brewing yeast, as it adds unique flavours (Try cider yeast for example), the majority of my wife's and my bread is now sourdough (We take turns to bake!).

One tip for "Soft" bread: mix normal plain flour and light bread flour 50%.

These soft, light but crusty rolls were made using the 50/50 formula. I mainly use Allisons strong, and very strong bread flour, but now for rolls use Asda Organic Light Bread flour and Asda Organic Plain Flour, which has excellent results.

I always make a "Starter": which uses two teaspoons of organic honey, warm water and a cup or two of flour (Edit: and the yeast of course! Durgh!!); this is left for anywhere between 45 minutes and four hours, depending what I am baking. For Italian rustic bread, then the starter (A Biga) is left overnight.

My esoteric equipment is a 50 pence plastic washing up bowl from Lidl!

BTW: I have never found decent bread flour in French supermarkets. Probably available in trade hyperstores like Metro.

There are many different grades of French bread flour. Depends on what one is seeking to bake.

http://s461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/PercyPee/Sourdough/?start=0

[IMG]http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/PercyPee/Sourdough/PicsMay08026.jpg[/IMG]

There have been quite a few discussions on this topic already on the forum, from type of flour to use, to how to get the bread out etc.  Do a search on breadmakers and you'll find quite a few of the previous posts - too many to list here.

As far as my pennorth goes - I have given up baking in the breadmaker, as, like you, I can never get the paddle out.  I use it to prepare dough, then take it out, reshape etc, give it another rise, and then cook in the ordinary oven.  I often mix wholemeal and white flour, but must admit, I have yet to use French flour as I brought some flour out with me and haven't finished it yet.  In the UK even with a fan oven (which I don't have here) results varied but were usually quite edible.

We use our breadmaker a lot - but not for making loaves of bread.  We have three teenage / adult children at home (mainly boys) who would eat a breadmaker sized loaf in one sitting so the effort to get a decent result didn't seem to be worthwhile. We do, however, use our breadmaker to make the dough for pizzas, naan bread etc with very good results.  Friends of mine use their breadmaker to make bread and the end result is very good but I think they did a lot of experimenting with different flours, volumes of liquid etc before they hit on a combination that worked.

I've tried various kinds of french flour to make bread, experimented with added gluten, bought some from a mill etc. But it's just got a different feel (when kneading) and produces a different crumb from english or canadian flour. The french so-called bread flours from the supermarkets are ok but have suspicious looking additives. So I try to get english/canadian flour.

To the OP: do try making your bread by hand. Unless you have rheumatics or something like that it's much easier than you think, and you don't have to knead for hours. I do 20 punch/fold/ turns. Look:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/6430/kneading-and-folding-video-espa%C3%B1ol

And as gluestick says, a washing up bowl is good for mixing.

Another point - you can make 4 loaves at a time by hand, oven baked, but only one at a time in a machine. Pat.

We go for three loaves from one large bag of flour, Pat.

Enough for us for the week: one is ready for use: the other two go into the freezer.

Some weeks it's wholemeal: some it's white: others it is wholemeal-white-and rye.

Loaves now are all sourdough, never baker's yeast.

I'm really happy with my breadmaking machine and although I have no photos to hand they turn out pretty good though I say it myself.  I use bread mix from Aldi which originates in Germany I believe.  I agree the French bread mixes are not so good.

The other critical things are: 

Use the correct amount of yeast and not stuff that's been hanging around in a cupboard for even a few months.  It does go off, I know it shouldn't but that's what I found by experience. 

Using the correct amount is important as too little and it won't rise properly, to much and it rises a lot then collapses.  I often use fresh yeast too.

Get everything up to room temp.  Nothing will stop yeast working like the cold so water from a tap or milk from a fridge (or flour from a cold larder?)  should be allowed to stand for a bit (or put in microwave for a few seconds? just thought of that)

Apart from that, easy peasy or I've just been lucky

Chessie, look at what happened to me..............

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1466256/ShowPost.aspx

But, I'm still using the machine and, after the first however many months of perseverance, I am at last able, with the help of OH hanging on for dear life to the tin, to pull the cooked bread out with greater or lesser force.

There are still often chunks out of the bread where the paddles get stuck to it and I have chosen to ignore these bready "holes".  But, there have been glorious times (a few but increasing) where we have been able to get the bread out intact!  Hooray!

As for taste and appearance, I find the bread I make in this way very tasty and acceptable and I use the bog standard bread mixes from Netto.  I don't like the Lidl mixes as the texture is strange and, like you say, the bread dips in the middle and the slices look like a square "face" with 2 horns........[:(]

Still, with my limited skills in this direction, machine baked bread is many times superior to what I myself am able to produce in the traditional way.

Perhaps you should persevere with the machine.  I swear it now realises that I am going to make it earn its keep because it seems to have stopped playing all those tricks it used to try.

I replied to an earlier thread on this subject but here goes again!

I use a Panasonic machine bought in the UK about 7 years ago. When we first lived in France I had to import flour from the UK as it seemed impossible to buy bread flour here. More recently I have been using Carrefour own brand flour for "pain" and Yeast from the UK (I still have a small stock).

To make a small(ish) loaf I use 400g flour and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast plus 1 tblsp each of milk powder and sugar. Then 1/2 teaspoon salt and 15g butter. Add 280 ml water last (most non-Panasonic machines are the other way round)..

I can choose soft, medium or crusty .

Result: a super loaf and never (I repeat never) have I had to struggle to remove the paddle which stays in the tin when the loaf is shaken out and can then be pulled out easily to wash when the tin is cool.

I do not have a photo but could take one when I next make a loaf (early next week), although I have no idea how to put it onto this forum. If someone can explain this in simple words I will try.

I think it is a case of "you get what you pay for" as far as the machines are concerned.

Mrs H.

Well:  I have made a loaf and taken the photograph but:  even reading previous notes about how to add a photo I am just confused.  If I emailed the picture to one of the respondents above could they add it for me please?

How dim can you get,  sorry.

Mrs H

[quote user="Hereford"]Well:  I have made a loaf and taken the photograph but:  even reading previous notes about how to add a photo I am just confused.  If I emailed the picture to one of the respondents above could they add it for me please?

How dim can you get,  sorry.

Mrs H
[/quote]

Are you using photobucket ? If so click on 'Share' and then on 'Get link code' scroll down to forums and copy and paste the code into the reply box here.

Hope that helps

Mrs H: it really is simple; promise!

Use Photobucket: it is a free image hosting facility on the web.

Step One: join up.

Here:

Once you have received your email informing you OK:

Go to the "Uploader" as below and "Save" your pic to Photobucket.

[IMG]http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/PercyPee/Pbucket.jpg[/IMG]

Then, if you place your mouse curser over the pic and then hover your mouse curser (The arrow thingy!) over the bottom bit "IMG Code": then Right Click the mouse button; all you have to do is to then open this thread: type your desired words and at the end of your words, Right Click the Mouse, once more and a small white window will appear with various choices: select "Paste".

Job done!

Post the thread as normal and et voila, your picture will appear.

Hello Everyone - thank you all so much for your comments.

Hereford - sorry - I heard your deep sigh from here.  I did try to use the 'search' button - but unfortunately where the the blank space is to type word/phrase and then to hit 'search' button - is covered up by 'Google Ads' writing and is totally useless on my PC.  So I AM very sorry Hereford; I knew the topic had been covered, but couldn't find it.  But thanks for the recipes, and the tips - all very much appreciated.

And anyway - I challenged you all cos I wanted to SEE the loaves !!!

And as for 'you get what you pay for' - we paid a lot of Mickey Mouses for a Kenwood Convection breadmaker, in stainless steel, with 13 programmes, and all digital, with flashing lights, and beeping noises.   And I thought if that all singing, all dancing, buttons and bows 'thing' can't produce a decent loaf, then it's going to be dumped in the well !!!!!!!

But it's been lovely reading everyone's comments - including the 'fight' some of you have just to get the bread out of the machine !! Happy days.

And Gluestick - gee - I can smell those bread rolls even now....yum, yum, yum - look very inviting....and the lovely brown loaf from Hereford as well - almost as good as being in the boulangerie itself !!!!

Thanks everyone.   Anyone else ready to send pix of their success ? !!!!!!!!!!

Chessie

[quote user="chessie"]we paid a lot of Mickey Mouses for a Kenwood Convection breadmaker, in stainless steel, with 13 programmes, and all digital, with flashing lights, and beeping noises.   And I thought if that all singing, all dancing, buttons and bows 'thing' can't produce a decent loaf, then it's going to be dumped in the well !!!!!!!Chessie[/quote]

Take heart!

Other users are also having problems with this particular BM, as read in this cooking forum:

Map kenwood bm350 .j'ai besoin d'aide. (in Google English here)

You might find some tips there [:)]

Thanks Clair for the very clear instructions.  We have a man coming this morning to give us a devis (see roof coating in Renovations) but I will get back to this this afternoon.

Re my comment "you get what you pay for with machines" - we bought the Panasonic because Which? magazine said it was the best (this some years ago).

Mrs H

Apologies Gluestick and thank you!

I have followed instructions as you gave them but no picture appears here.  I have tried several times.  When you right click over the words IMG code should I then select one of the items on the little menu (does not have copy or anything)?  I chose nothing just opened this forum and right clicked again to "paste" but nothing appears.  The actual code is next to the IMG word but if I copy that it just produces the code here in the posting not the picture.

I am obviously doing something wrong, and any cries of "stupid woman" are well deserved.

I  use Firefox if that makes any difference.

Mrs H

Thanks Russethouse.  That is what I did before but only the code appears in the posting and that is all I can see now.  I will "post" though and see if the photo appears.   (Edit: and  Photo appears - that is what I did not realise yesterday when only the code shows until you actually "post"..)  Mrs H

Picture size edited by a mod