Buying a gift

Hi all

We have a French (not too near) neighbour to who we have given permission to graxe horses on our land for a few years now.  It is a good arrangement as we do not live in France and his horses help keep our huge garden in check.  However, he has recently taken to removing ancient barbed wire, cutting down dead trees and generally smartening up the land and I have to say it looks great.  He is very friendly and comes to see us at least once during our visits; unfortunately we speak only a little French (we are trying believe me) and he speaks no English.  We usually have a coffee together and talk about general things but that's about it.  What I would like to do is buy something for him to thank him for all his hard work.  We thought about buying him a special bottle of brandy, cognac, champagne etc. but now know that he doesn't drink.  He does, however, have a 5 year old son so perhaps we could buy something for him instead.  Most people we have spoken to in the village say its enough for us to allow him to graze his horses, but we would like to thank him, if just the once.

Does anyone have any ideas what we could do to say thank you to him or alternatively what is popular in France at the moment for 5 year old boys!!  Our children are now all in their 20s so we are out of touch with that sort of thing - any ideas would be much appreciated.  We did think of inviting him and his wife for a meal but are terrified of awkward silences!

Many thanks

A book is the usual thing with our friends - Tin Tin, Asterix etc.

On the subject of grazing - becareful there is a ruling I am sure that once you let someone use your land for a certain time, they have more rights than you and can not be evicted. We were warned off letting someone permantently use land, as it becaomes an agreement - i am sure someone like Clair will know the correct ruling on this.

I'd be interested to know of this rule as we have some land on which a farmer occasionally lets his horses. When we bought the house the seller told us of this arrangement and I queried it with the notaire, asking if there was any way he could claim the right to the land and was told, very firmly, "no way". He's come to ask if he can continue the arrangement and it suits us, as his horses keep the grass down, but I said "yes for the moment, but you must ask me every year". It's been two years now and, sure enough, he has asked for this year .... I suggested this only in case there was some technicality that he had to acknowledge that the land was mine.

He's a nice chap, and I doubt he has any devious plans to acquire the land from me under my nose, but you never know and it's better to be forewarned. But as he has his horses on the land occasionally and I rarely go over there, except to harvest wood from our trees, then I should like to be assured that he has no legal rights over us.

Without looking into it deeply: you must not accept payment for the use of the land (technically, not even payment in kind), as this would constitute a form of contract and once there is a contract, the farmer acquires rights and is entitled to compensation should the contract be terminated.

This seems to be how to go about it, but do check with your notaire:

http://forums.french-property.com/life-in-france-f12/contrat-de-pret-a-usage-letting-a-farmer-use-your-land-t1593.html

Législation prêt à usage (in google English here)

Hi Steve, Going back to your original question of what to buy a 5 year old boy, I have a 9 year old and a 11 year old, and unsure what to suggest other than I know at school here in Gironde the kids are all mad on table tennis. so perhaps a pair of rackets that he can play with Mum and Dad or alternativley as the weather is so good, mine also love water pistols and have great fun squirting each other.  I assume the 5 year old is an only child, so these are in 'Pairs' sports, unless M & D, won't mind getting wet.!! A skate board seems to also be the in thing for boys and they often have smooth areas at the local 'citi stade' Hope this helps.

Vida

Sorry to the OP for highjacking the thread, but how does the situation work in reverse?  A farmer (who happens to be a council colleague) has offered me his field in front of our to keep our pony on.  Would we have the same rights as if it was the other way around?

To the OP, a gift for his son would be a great idea.