Well I made the wrong assumption!

I have posted before (and been told in no uncertain terms to lighten up) about my frustration for French opening hours but its getting worse.

Flying visit this last weekend bringing down some furniture, doing some odd jobs and preparing some provisions for a friend and his children who was arriving late Sunday evening.

Painting some shutters Saturday morning - finally got the hang of "closing for lunch" so about 3pm Saturday afternoon popped to the shops for some pool chemicals, some DIY stuff and some provisions both for our visitors and for our evening meal.

What on earth is Assunption Day?

What sort of place has a bank holiday on a Saturday?

Why did no one on here warn me? (someone normally posts to warn us of bank holidays).

The 15th August is one of the main holidays ("holy" days remember?) in the Catholic calender, and has always been a major Bank Holiday in France as long as I can remember.

It remembers the 'assumption' that is the taking up whole without passing by the grave and the corruption of the flesh that would be implied by that , of the Blessed Virgin Mary, who, as the totally pure Mother of Jesus mustn't be put to that indignity.

It is a Europe wide bank holiday in many Catholic countries, so your question reveals more about your ignorance that it does about the 'strangeness' of France.

[quote user="Stan Streason"]I have posted before (and been told in no uncertain terms to lighten up) about my frustration for French opening hours but its getting worse. Painting some shutters Saturday morning - finally got the hang of "closing for lunch" so about 3pm Saturday afternoon popped to the shops for some pool chemicals, some DIY stuff and some provisions both for our visitors and for our evening meal.

What on earth is Assunption Day? [/quote]

(taken from Wikipedia and shortened) The Assumption of Mary is the traditional belief held by many Christians that the Virgin Mary at the end of her life was physically taken up into heaven. The feast day of the Assumption on August 15th is a Public Holiday in many countries, including France, Belgum, Spain, Greece and Chile.

[quote user="Stan Streason"]What sort of place has a bank holiday on a Saturday?[/quote]

A country in which public holidays occur only on the same fixed date every year and are not arbitrarily moved to the nearest Monday.

[quote user="Stan Streason"]Why did no one on here warn me? (someone normally posts to warn us of bank holidays).[/quote]

Errrr .... you didn't ask?

Regards

Pickles

Sorry, I agree with Norman.  You have a house in France and don't understand the French bank holiday system.  Just because it's not the same as it is in the UK, doesn't mean it's in any way strange or wrong.

And remember, if the bank holiday was on a Sunday, none of the stupid UK 'day off in lieu' or the 10 day close down at Xmas, people here do actually stay open on days many Brits now would expect to have off.

Sorry Stan, in future, better to check in advance rather than expect people to give you information without asking. 

Assume = makes an ass u me!

Here's a bit of a pre-warning for you Stan. In 2010 Christmas day falls on a Saturday and in 2011 on a Sunday. French Monday to Friday workers will not get any other day off. It's just tough and they accept it as such.

In 1992 I worked the Winter in France and just couldn't understand why no one else turned up for work on Remembrance Day.

[quote user="Benjamin"]Here's a bit of a pre-warning for you Stan. In 2010 Christmas day falls on a Saturday and in 2011 on a Sunday. [/quote]

Benjamin, you forgot to mention Christmas will be on 25th December in 2010 and in 2011.

I'll have to check for 2012...[Www]

To be fair to the OP though, I guess many or even most french people don't know what the holidays are in aid of. Especially the religious hols. They are so anti- religion.

I've asked people a few times and they shrug and say "je ne sais pas", or don't care, as long as  it's a day off.

By the way, good pun in the title [:)]

[quote user="Christine Animal"]I just don't know what to say. That original post just tops the lot !   [6][/quote]

Here is a list of bank holidays in France, so Stan can plan his visits more constructively:

2009 2010 2011
Jour de l'an 1 Jan1 Jan1 Jan
Lundi de Paques 13 Avril 5 Avril 4 Avril
Fête du Travail 1 Mai 1 Mai 1 Mai
8 Mai 1945 8 Mai 8 Mai 8 Mai
Jeudi de l'Ascension 21 Mai 13 Mai 12 Mai
Lundi de Pentecôte 1 Juin 24 Mai 13 Juin
Fête Nationale 14 Juillet 14 Juillet 14 Juillet
Assomption 15 Août 15 Août 15 Août
La Toussaint 1 Nov 1 Nov 1 Nov
Armistice 11 Nov 11 Nov 11 Nov
Noêl 25 Déc 25 Déc 25 Déc

Please note:

• the Jour de l'an always falls on Jan. 1st
  • Fête du Travail always falls on May 1st
  • Fête du 8 mai 1945 always falls on May 8th
  • Fête Nationale always falls on July 14th
  • Assomption always falls on Aug. 15th
  • La Toussaint always falls on Nov. 1st
  • Armistice always falls on Nov. 11th
  • Noël always falls on Dec. 25th (I was pulling your leg earlier! [:D])

Woooooooooooosh!

I'm sorry, I thought the ridiculousness of my final point gave a pretty good indication that my post was tounge in cheek.  I was obviously wrong.

Yes I know its my fault - (I even have an Ipod app with french bank holidays on it - I didn't check).

Did not make my frustration on Saturday afternoon any less though, nor my 45km trip to my nearest Peage service station to buy milk bread and water any shorter.

PS  Thanks Patf - it wasnt all in vain!

If you have Microsoft Outlook you can visit the Microsoft website and download a plugin that shows public holidays for a particular country. You can load more than one so for instance I have loaded the UK and France. To get this go to www.microsoft.com and type in Public Holidays for a search then you can select the version of Outlook and the countries you want. You can then download them in to a mobile phone (one that supports downloads from calendars) and take the dates with you.

Having been one of the ones who had a smile at your expense this morning you are not far out in your rant. The list Clair gave maybe the official one but increasingly in recent years many supermarkets are opening on the morning of these holidays. If my memory isn't failing me I'm pretty certain that the Ecomarché in our village opened on the morning of ILD this year.

It's worth repeating that the only French bank holiday when workers cannot be made to work is May 1st (essential services excluded).

All other bank holidays, when they do not fall on a Sunday, are potential working days, subject to negotiations, contracts, etc...

Assumption day is the third most important day of the year in the Christian calendar.

Orthodox = Easter, Christmas, and then Assumption day.

I expect that the UK will have something similar when the blessed Barbara Windsor finally pops her clogs.

Ideally yes, but until then, our lives are interfered with by these superstitious practices.

By the way, Assumption day is only an old Roman holiday, dedicated to all the gods, a sort of catch all day. Guess the Cathos needed something to cover it with so they decided to give Mary an outing!

[quote user="Benjamin"]Having been one of the ones who had a smile at your expense this morning you are not far out in your rant. The list Clair gave maybe the official one but increasingly in recent years many supermarkets are opening on the morning of these holidays. If my memory isn't failing me I'm pretty certain that the Ecomarché in our village opened on the morning of ILD this year.

[/quote]

If they were open in the morning that just makes it even more galling as I finally recognise that things close at lunchtime so waited till after lunch so as not to be hurried.