UK National lottery

NickP

As La Francaise des Jeux has a legal monopoly, France will definitely be  one of the countries that the UK lottery has in mind when it reminds buyers about possible complications if tickets are purchased when abroad.

What we don't know is whether they log the IP addresses of every single ticket purchased via the net.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="NickP"]I just thought it was a good subject to encourage debate. After all that is what forums are about or have I missed something. [/quote]

There's a world of difference between having a debate and demanding answers and SHOUTING...

[/quote] Clair, Ok, I didn’t know that was “shouting” so I put my hands up, plead guilty and say sorry. Mind you, as you are so sensitive how come you didn’t say anything about the guy who wrote in large bold characters, then ring Camelot yourself isn’t that shouting ?

Russethouse, Well I tried to read Wills link, but my French is not too good, although I do go to school every week to try to improve. But come on, reading a French Bureaucratic paper? A complete nightmare unless you are a French lawyer, even then there would be problems, I don’t think most of us can read or understand an English legal paper, as for an American one?

Les, thanks mate you have confirmed what I found out today from somebody who has won money on the UK lottery with a ticket bought on line in France. It appears that as long as you are a British resident, operate your lottery account through a British Bank/credit card account, you can buy tickets for the UK lottery online when you are in France and get paid out if your ticket wins.

Russethouse, Well I tried to read Wills link, but my French is not too good, although I do go to school every week to try to improve. But come on, reading a French Bureaucratic paper? A complete nightmare unless you are a French lawyer, even then there would be problems, I don’t think most of us can read or understand an English legal paper, as for an American one?

Well there may be all sorts of things that I don't understand about computers but I have managed to install an option from google that gives me the option to translate the French pages I visit, to English.....very useful !

[quote user="NickP"]Les, thanks mate you have confirmed what I found out today from somebody who has won money on the UK lottery with a ticket bought on line in France. It appears that as long as you are a British resident, operate your lottery account through a British Bank/credit card account, you can buy tickets for the UK lottery online when you are in France and get paid out if your ticket wins.

[/quote]And you regard that as conclusive proof that it's legal do you ?

[quote user="AnOther"]I think you missed the point.

Yes you need to UK resident, but the issue at hand is that of buying a ticket whilst in a country where it is not legal to do so. Spain we know is one such case but the situation in France has yet to be conclusively confirmed one way or the other.

[/quote]

"Please remember, you need to be a resident of

the UK
or Isle of Man at all times when you play UK National Lottery

games
through your interactive Account."

I think you need to read the above more carefully, seems clear enough to me. Why look for complications that don't exist

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="NickP"]Les, thanks mate you have confirmed what I found out today from somebody who has won money on the UK lottery with a ticket bought on line in France. It appears that as long as you are a British resident, operate your lottery account through a British Bank/credit card account, you can buy tickets for the UK lottery online when you are in France and get paid out if your ticket wins.

[/quote]And you regard that as conclusive proof that it's legal do you ?

[/quote] No, nothing until it goes before the appeal court and the house of Lords is ever conclusive legal proof. But I think I am happy with it and quite prepared to buy my tickets "online" either in England or France.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Well there may be all sorts of things that I don't understand about computers but I have managed to install an option from google that gives me the option to translate the French pages I visit, to English.....very useful !

[/quote] yes, I have used this "translation tool" and if that is not a perfect example of an oxymoron I don't know what is. Come on, you really want me to believe that you would trust Google to translate a legal paper.Your 'aving a larf

It's better than nothing   If you can gain the sense of the piece you can at least ask  more informed questions.

In any case someone has already answered your question.

[/quote] Please read what you have just written? Google, can't translate a shopping list let alone a legal directive. As for asking more informed questions, I'm afraid I don't understand the contradiction in terms. Maybe you could enlighten me. You said "someone has already answered your question", yes that is correct, and I said thank you to Les

[quote user="gosub 2"]

"Please remember, you need to be a resident of

the UK
or Isle of Man at all times when you play UK National Lottery

games
through your interactive Account."

I think you need to read the above more carefully, seems clear enough to me. Why look for complications that don't exist[/quote]

And with respect I think you need to read the whole of the relevant condition which Russethouse quoted earlier:

From the FAQs  http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/help/faqs.ftl#int_GetStarted2

Can I play while overseas?

Please remember, you need to be a resident

of the UK or Isle of Man at all times when you play UK National Lottery

games through your interactive Account

In countries outside of the UK and Isle of

Man, local laws often prevent the sale or purchase of tickets for any

overseas lottery. To protect players and the UK National Lottery, the

National Lottery Rules and Terms and Conditions prohibit people from

playing online in any country where it is unlawful to do so. Lawfulness

will vary from country to country and, possibly, from time to time.

This also means that, under local laws and National Lottery rules, we

would not be able to pay out any prize in these circumstances.

Therefore, we would advise players to assume

that it is unlawful to purchase a ticket whilst abroad, and to only buy

their tickets whilst
located in the UK or Isle of Man. We would therefore advise you only to buy your tickets online when you are actually located in the UK or the Isle of Man. This also applies when playing by text.

Looks pretty clear to me, you are not supposed to play.

[/quote]

I think the UK lottery question has raised more questions than answers, still we move on. During my first question I mentioned the situation of the BBC (no I am not shouting, that's their logo) iPlayer and someone came up with the following , which I think is pretty good and actually answers a question raised by someone else about the iPlayer not allowing British people with a foreign server to access the iPlayer. My thanks to Marc who sent me this explanation.

" BBC iPlayer is regulated by a different system - a GeoIP restriction.

Each time you connect to the internet, you get assigned a unique address, a series of numbers, depending on your geographical local and type of connection, an 'IP address'. When you go to a website, check your email or go anywhere on the net, this address is logged.

When you launch the iPlayer, the first thing that happens is that it checks the IP address, and verifies the 'country' section of the code. If it detects in our example, a French code, all access is blocked - the iPlayer will only work if a UK code is detected. This is not ideal for a number of reasons as the system is not without flaws;

If your connection in the UK is routed via an exterior country as some business connections are, if you are using types of satelite internet, if you have a randomly generated IPsatellite for any reasons, you are blocked out of the system unfairly.

The reasons for this country check is that the BBC feels that as the iPlayer is funded from Licence money in the UK, it is not fair for other people outside of the UK to watch for 'free', without paying. Also, the film and production companies sell their media to different geographic locations, such as the Premier League to the Sky and the BBC in the UK, but Canal+ and Canal Sport in France etc. The prices that TV companies can demand for content is therefore forced by these geographic restrictions.

With the UK lottery, they probably have a log of the fact that the connection from which you bought is in France, all your address and banking details etc are in the UK, hence the reason you can still purchase online.

I used to buy tickets online when I had a UK address. I moved to Holland, changed the address on the account, and, and also the card, and was immediately blocked! This has remained the case when I tried to add my French details after the move here."

So once again Marc, many thanks for the explanation.

• 5 weeks later...

This article was in the Connexion for October

Camelot requires that only permanent UK residents use its site to buy tickets. They also advise against using their site abroad on visits as some countries only allow you to buy their own lotteries tickets. However a spokeswoman for the Française des Jeux, which runs France's lottery, said "there was no law banning Britons from playing the UK's National Lottery in France". So while UK residents visiting France may play the UK National Lottery online, residents in France may find their winnings are not honoured

So  now it looks pretty clear to me, that you can play online if you are not a French resident.

I presume that as UK based ISP's their servers are actually in the UK hence the iPlayer et al will not object to them.

If this is the case then it has implications for Sarky's nasty and ill conceived HADOPI law because evidence of downloading activity would have to be sought from outwith French jurisdiction.