The hardest thing about NOT living in France...

MrCanary

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Well, Steve, marsala is a sweet Italian wine (hence Clair's dig at my post) and masala is a curry invented in the UK but supposed to be Indian.

[/quote]

I was aware of the difference between masala and marsala, but was questioning the (lack of ) difference in spelling.

(I really do know the difference because I quite like Marsala but dislike Masala)

Poor you PD, you may be one of those unfortunates who has a problem knowing their 'rs from their esses...[:D]  For those who miss their curries; I suggest making your own.  If you can't go the whole way, try using Geeta's sauces, chutneys etc http://www.geetasfoods.com/index.htm   If you don't want to buy online, they are available at Intermarche.  All of the sauces I have tried were excellent and I can highly recommend their Onion Chutney and Lime Pickle.  As you probably know, Intermarche also stock nans.  So stop whingeing and get cooking...[:D]

[quote user="Cat"]

Hate to disappoint you garedengirl, but I was in Lidls (France) on Wednesday and they already had Christmas chocolates on the shelves.

[/quote]

Seen those, Cat, and I just sort of quickly sidestepped them and averted my eyes as I don't want anything to do with Christmas just yet.

The hardest thing about not living in France ......I have varying thoughts about this but I reckon I feel better about myself in France and am a nicer person (I know how could this be possible) I think there's a mixture of vulnerability with not knowing the language but also it's about having space time and the  freedom to do what I like when I like and no-one getting bent out of shape about it. I think I may have French genes or something as a Gallic shrug embodies a lot of my deeply held beliefs about life!

BIG MAC - Thanks for finally getting this thread back on track! You obviously used to read the examination questions carefully when you were at school!

I very much agree with your thoughts as well. I always feel better in France, but I guess I must allow for the 'holiday feel' about being there...

And on that point, we have owned our French house for just under 6 years and we always knew there was an English couple who owned one not too far from us. This year we finally met them and learned they had been travelling back and forth to their maison secondaire for over 20 years. And the good news is, they still get as excited now about visiting the house as they did when they bought it!

• 2 weeks later...
To stay realistic, people are far more likely to post about problem neighbours than they are to post about how wonderful their neighbours are.I certainly have great ones ,and Im sure most of us do .However reading on forums such as this about neighbours from hell can change peoples perspectives and give a false idea as to how many people do have problems.