Sold at last!

Hi

I didnt know where to put this post but wanted to share our excitment with you all, we have been trying for 3 years to sell our uk home to move to France, I have spent all this time, reading, getting info from you all and generally doing my homework, I had almost given up and morale was flat with no light at the end of the tunnel, then BINGO today we got a buyer for our house so we are so excited, nervous and gobsmaked so all our previous planning, list making and question asking is about to pay off. Just thought I would share this with whoever reads my post. I am sure I will have hundreds of questions from now on. Yipppeeee. Pauline

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Chrissie and Sweet 17, yes I am sure you will, I know I will have lots of questions, we are looking around South West of Toulouse, we like Bologne sur gesse but have an open mind at present. Its so exciting, only drawback is the family and grandchildren but we hope they will visit often.

Great news- we went through all that recently, and moved exactly 1 year ago. Hate to say this, but have you got a contract and deposit?

Sadly our house fell through several times, with people trying to gazunder at last minute. Hopefully all will go well for you and that your buyer stays true. Bonne chance.

Believe me, Pauline, if they are anything like ours, you'll see them more often than you do in the UK!

Alas, I do not know the area you are interested in but there are many on here who do know and will be only too happy to tell you things.[:D]

Somebody today recommended   leboncoin.fr    as a good place to search. Bonne chance.

Sorry for mentioning gazundering - which is when buyers ask for a big reduction on day of signing contract and paying deposit. You need to be aware that this CAN happen- and be prepared and ready, as it all happens so quickly on the day. You need to decide if you'd be prepared to 'bend' and to what extent, or if you would send them off with a flea in their ear!

Thanks for your good wishes. I think the couple are really keen and fortunatly there is no chain just them and us, they have sold and with in laws and so I guess keen to move, they have their finances in place so fingers crossed. Oh my goodness where do we start!!!!I knew I should have kept up with the french classes I was just always bottom of the class at night school, even Michel Thomas isnt helping!!!

Pauline, congratulations!!! Ask any questions you want from us, we're happy to share our experience. Like you, two years ago, we were coming to France and I asked loads of questions here, really basic stuff, and got very helpful replies. And, once we were here, I continued asking (as I still frequently do!) and still get encouragement and informative responses.

Keep us posted how you're getting on ...

Pauline, when you go to France rent before you buy, as selling a house in France can take even longer than your experience in the UK! Also the costs incurred by the purchaser of around 10% of the purchase price, means it is an expensive excercise if you decide to move after a year or two, because your chosen area of France does not turn out to be right for you.

Also with any luck the exchange rate should improve somewhat in the next year, as you don't really want to be buying Euros at or near the bottom of its trading cycle.

Pauline, the two most common pieces of advice given by members of this forum over the years, are try before you buy and have an exit strategy!

The reality is that most Brits that move to France, sell up and move on after an average of three to five years and many more find they want to move back, but cannot afford to.

Sprogster's advice is excellent.  We ourselves couldn't rent before we bought though that was our intention.

Our house sale in the UK took about 18 months longer than anticipated because of 4 lots of so-called buyers being unable to complete and time was against us, my OH is elderly.

I would say that rent before you buy and having an exit strategy is not only commonsense but can save you a lot of heartache later on. 

Congratulations Pauline.We moved out last July.We had to ask a few questions before and after we arrived,still are.Our only problem at the moment is the language.We take lessons,but at my age it is a struggle.So far no regrets.

Joe has highlighted a very interesting point and that is the difficulty in learning French, especially as you get older. A lot of people assume that when they move to France they will pick it up, but unfortunately it does not work out that way and the resulting inability to properly communicate can lead to a feeling of isolation. This is why a lot of people return to the UK, especially if bereavement or ill health occurs.

Before moving to France, I would strongly recommend that one needs to take intensive French lessons, from which you will be able to judge how much of a challenge the language barrier could be, because not everyone has the same ability to learn another language, especially after a certain age. Far better to find out before the move rather than after.

You are right sweet 17, but it is worth pointing out, as it is a reason why there is such a large return rate, with only a minority of Brits sticking it out longer than three to five years.

The situation in Spain is different as the British expat community there is far larger and tend to congregate in certain areas, so it is easier to get by speaking English.

Whereas in rural France little English is spoken and if you cannot get to grips with the language it can become a real problem, especially if ill health occurs.

Well done Pauline...

I am very envious as our planned move to France, which started nearly six years ago, is still stuttering because of health issues. But we will be there eventually and it gives us encouragement to hear the enthusiasm of others!

Hi Mel dont give up, we have spent 3years trying to sell our house in the uk, as part of our plan Mike took early retirment because the deal was to good to pass, then the housing market crashed and at the same time Mike was diagnosed with prostate cancer, he has had a radical prostatectomy, and doing great, still goes back for regular tests and we know it will have an impact on our health situation in France but hey these things are sent to try us as they say! I am counting the months before I am handing in my notice at work and enjoying our change of lifestyle in France, I situation we never thought would arrive, so like I say dont give up.