Lidl: one query and one recommendation

mint

Has anyone been able to find their own brand floor wipes?  Like the lingettes but bigger?  Last 5 times I went, no floor wipes.  Do you think that's a range that has been discontinued?

Now for the recommendation:  coated peanuts chilli flavour.  Fab with a chilled glass of chablis or sancerre (or bubbly if your budget runs to it, which mine doesn't)

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Has anyone been able to find their own brand floor wipes?  Like the lingettes but bigger?  Last 5 times I went, no floor wipes.  Do you think that's a range that has been discontinued?

Now for the recommendation:  coated peanuts chilli flavour.  Fab with a chilled glass of chablis or sancerre (or bubbly if your budget runs to it, which mine doesn't)

[/quote]

2 houses and no bubbly...where is your sense of proportion?

The chilli flavoured peanuts are what they say on the packet - they pack a punch and are half the price of ersatz products.

Buying lose peanuts and adding your own spices is cheaper still.

... it's not to difficult to replicate but at 57 cents a packet I guess you have a chilli experience cheaper than from the big supermarket chains.

Do you like Patra? I have to import my own supply.

Sweet you are over the age of concent and you have not discovered Patra.

I am sure google will help you if not check out Indian grocers - fresh is best but tinned is OK .

It's malanga leaves with various stuffings and spices - bloomin handsome fodder.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Veuve Clicquot is now seriously expensive but I do have a couple of bottles of Lidl's special in the fridge.

Not quite the same thing I know but don't you know there is a crise on?

[/quote]

par contre  la "veuve Poignet" is well within the grasp of the poorest of men (such as   me and Chancer)

[:D]

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="sweet 17"][/quote]
par contre  la "veuve Poignet" is well within the grasp of the poorest of men (such as   me and Chancer)
[:D]
[/quote]

Not any more I'm afraid Norman.

Alcohol also lost the battle of the budget on the 3rd of Jan this year, I love those coated peanuts but they just aint the same without a proper apero, if you look at how many e numbers thay contain you will realise why they are so thick.

4 months of teetotalitarianism now and it dont arf feel weird [blink] its a strange world out there that I m facing for the first time in 30 + years.

But you were right I used to rink the Lidl and Aldi champagne on occasions, I even kidded myself that I could tell the differnce, the great thing about them is that they are inflation proof as they would not dare add one centime to the €9.99 price tag, although I would only buy it on promo at €8.99 [;-)]

Hey, guys, what's happened to my query about the floor wipes?

All you lot seem to be talking about is what to drink with the peanuts........gggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!

Don't any of you wash your floors?  Aren't you interested in whether the packets of large floor wipes are still available?

Look NO champagne until you have cleaned the floors, OK?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Don't any of you wash your floors?  Aren't you interested in whether the packets of large floor wipes are still available?

Look NO champagne until you have cleaned the floors, OK?

[/quote]

As we speak my floors are rudely unclean and resemble terre battu, whilst turning out a cupboard I did find two unopened packets of lingettes sols, one easiclean pavimenti - sols 20 by 30 cms and the other looking larger containing savon de marseille, actually only the senteur perhaps they gave the packet a sniff of the real thing, these were the good ones and I am sure that they came from Lidl.

Should I clean my floor or put them on E-bay?

My french maid swears (more often than not, literally) that she will only use Lidl products, mainly because most own brand stuff in InterClerc is so rubbish. So, a vote for the floor wipes, they work on parquet.

Chancer, regarding your enforced sobriety, I think I have a solution............I've found you a job http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6371AX20100408 no wonder they're on strike[:D]

Thanks for the PM Norman, a hilarious phrase [:D]

It may still be in reach but there are some matters better left in the hands of others [;-)]

Still dont understand the reference to La Marque though! Mind you google is probably not the best refernce for deciphering you phrases.

[quote user="bubbles"]You probably said but why the abstinance? On second thoughts, don't tell me. Alcohol has so many healing properties!! ps i would like to know - tomorrow.[/quote]

I thought that I would wait for l'heure des aperos [;-)]

The decision was partly financial, one of the last luxuries that has to go, partly because I just had a feeling inside that it is something that i must do and now is the time.

Then two events brought it sharply into focus and confirmed my decision,

The news that both my niece and nephew, (aged around 30, typical alcohol consumption for their age) are in urgent need of liver transplants

The news that a friend from my youth , a family man with children inexplicably threw his-self in the path of a train. From the circumstances it was a deliberate decision yet no-one had any idea that there were any problems with depression however like many of my other camarades he was an alcoholic.

Well done Chancer keep the sobriety up!

I have drunk everyday since I was 17 until a few years ago I decided to stop. I just stopped overnight, my Uncle who is a Doctor said he couldn't.

What I noticed most was sleeping deeply and refreshingly and having lucid dreams. I did feel too dam good to be true and still found that sometimes you just wake up feeling poo.

You have to find something else to fill the time as you stay active and mentally inquisitive longer.

I did restart after a year and would have been pleased to stay off the stuff.

There is a good lyric in a Clem Snide song about you are not rebelling by drinking you are making the fat capitalist brewers rich!

Interesting Dog.

I reckon it took a good couple of months to withdraw despite what I read about it being 7-10 days, many many days I woke up with what seemed to be a hangover, not the headaches but just the general feeling of incapability, being disconnected from things, you summed it u well, - feeling poo! [:)]

I am definitely sleeping very well and 10 -12 hour unbroke stints are fairly common with the added benefit that I no longer have to get up for a pee in the night.

I have the lucid dreams also but that was always a case with my life here in France, I had been somewhat disturbed by my increasingly imaginative dream world until I read Papillon by Henri Charriere (in French) whereupon I understood the reasons for them (reclusion totale) , that guy only had his dreams to keep him sane for IIRC 15 or more years, at least I get the odd conversation now and then.

Filling the time is indeed a problem, I really miss having an apero whilst reviewing my days toil and working out the detail of problems for the next day, you are right as the alcohol must have indeed reduced my mental and physical activity therafter.

I hope that I manage to stay off it but it is tempting, even though I had reduced it to about 2 units per evening I know that gradually it would have increased again. I gave up smoking nearly 30 years ago and could still restart tomorrow [:(]