Strike, Tuesday 19th October

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Quillan"]

The way I see it is that the world evolves, it changes, peoples lives change, everything changes. When the current pension laws were 'knocked out' they were probably the best deal at that time. Nobody could foresee the future (bit like English moving to France on a pension, bet they never foresaw the current exchange rates, I doubt anyone did). We are now in a situation in France where there is a huge deficit. People look around, well politicians probably, and see that they offer a  more generous pension system and earlier retirement age than many of the other EU countries. I understand that many French feel that not to fight to retain the status quo is an affront to their grandparents who fought so hard for present system and benefits they have inherited but I wonder how their grandparents would have reacted if they had the same economic climate then as we have now. Of course so long has passed it would probably be impossible to get and answer.

But, is it the pensions today and other things tomorrow, do we really know the grand plan for France and the future. Is this just Sarkozy trying to get revenge for being shafted a few years back, only he will know. The other issue is suppose this law does get finalised, will that be a step to far for Sarkozy because I doubt he will get re-elected if what we read in the French press is true, but, will a new president reverse what has happened, I doubt it? So many questions but few realistic answers.

I tried to get an answer to some questions in another thread on this issue and have failed. They were not 'trick' questions, I wanted to genuinly find out a few things and thus understand the situation better from the French in general. What I fear is whilst the union are holding these strikes and some politicians have asked them to come to the table and discuss matters they really don't have any alternatives, or not from what I have read. I think it rather naive of the unions not to do this. The unions in France have a lot of power and command a large amount of the French populous and rather than both sides keep saying 'Non' perhaps a heart to heart and some ideas on how to fix the financial problems France faces whilst giving as much protection to their members as possible might be more helpful.

Next week will be interesting what with half term and the threat of further strikes. Will support dwindle away as Sarkozy predicts or will the strikes get bigger. The only current indication I have is that I have absolutely no French reservations for next week when traditionally it is our last full week of the year. Based on just that I rather fear that Sarkozy is in for a shock.

To misquote Churchill "what we want is more jaw, jaw and not more war, war" from both sides.

[/quote]

Q you have a problem! You write a short essay with a question hidden therein. Most of the time the question eludes me.[:)]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Q you have a problem! You write a short essay with a question hidden therein. Most of the time the question eludes me.[:)]

[/quote]

Your not following me round the forum are you, everywhere I post you seem to pop up, should I be flattered?