A cautionary tale of two light bulbs

mint

Just thought I'd post this in the hope of helping folks with the same need.

We had to look for G9 bulbs (yes, I know, why on earth do people use these rare and elusive beasts?) and, after going to a couple of places, we were advised to go to Brico Marché where, indeed, we got 2 bulbs.  They cost in excess of €16.

The following day, OH was in Netto and found the identical bulbs for €3.50 for 3.

So..............there you go......a light bulb could cost over 4 times if you are desperate or don't know where to look.

Now don't say I haven't tried to help, OK?

Edit:  oops, sorry, I think that should say nearly SIX times ......

• 3 weeks later...
We buy most of our bulbs in the West Country, a place called Trago Mills. However a little searching on the net revealed THIS SITE where they sell for 38p upwards - depending on quantity. This was the first site I looked at so there must be loads of them out there.

Ours is like the 7th one in your picture, Jay:  40 watts, frosted.  98 pence on your site and OH got 3 from Netto for 3 euros 50, so that was comparable.

All I tried to warn people about is not to just go to Brico Marché but to hunt around first.  Still can't believe that we paid over 16 euros for 2 and they were only 25 watts!

We've only got 2 light fittings using these bulbs so now we have 4 spares, that should last us a while.

[quote user="Jay"]We buy most of our bulbs in the West Country, a place called Trago Mills. However a little searching on the net revealed THIS SITE where they sell for 38p upwards - depending on quantity. This was the first site I looked at so there must be loads of them out there.
[/quote]

Yes I know Trago Mills, not been there for quite a while, your link isn't bad but 40 watt £0.89 not in stock so the next available is around the same as I pay for branded and a bit more than 40p

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="Jay"]We buy most of our bulbs in the West Country, a place called Trago Mills. However a little searching on the net revealed THIS SITE where they sell for 38p upwards - depending on quantity. This was the first site I looked at so there must be loads of them out there.

[/quote]

Yes I know Trago Mills, not been there for quite a while, your link isn't bad but 40 watt £0.89 not in stock so the next available is around the same as I pay for branded and a bit more than 40p

[/quote]

Well all I can suggest is you change your wholesaler if they can't do better than an online retailer. I'm really pleased you think my link isn't bad and I'm so sorry the cheap bulbs are out of stock, next time I do a search for you I will try a little harder!

[quote user="Théière"]Please do[/quote]

OK here you go eBay UK, work out at about 52p each. If you need help in finding anything else let me know and I will do a search for you, alternatively if you PM me I'll teach you how to do it.

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="Théière"]Please do[/quote]

OK here you go eBay UK, work out at about 52p each. If you need help in finding anything else let me know and I will do a search for you, alternatively if you PM me I'll teach you how to do it.
[/quote]

Shame that they don't ship to France.

[quote user="NickP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are right, good job Théière lives in London. Do you think that could be the reason I did the search in English? You could always get a friend in the UK (if you have any) to send you some bulbs over or you could be very clever and do a search on eBay.fr for "ampoule g9".

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="NickP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are right, good job Théière lives in London. Do you think that could be the reason I did the search in English? You could always get a friend in the UK (if you have any) to send you some bulbs over or you could be very clever and do a search on eBay.fr for "ampoule g9".
[/quote]

My comment about them not shipping to France was in sympathy for French residents, as the original posting on this thread was about the cost of Bulbs in France. But still many thanks for your advice, shame it's not relevant in my case as I live in the UK, but when you make asumptions there's always a possiblilty of being wrong. Still a good site thanks for the heads up

You can always find a cheaper option, it depends how long you are prepared to wait. Those bulbs in any brico shed are going to be more expensive and if you want one now then you pay the price. A little research and a few days wait would have saved the OP in excess of 10€ and that is for 10 bulbs rather than 2 (Link), 16€ for 2 really was a rip off. Now if trade price on one of these bulbs is in excess of £1.20 and anyone can get them here for 0.56€ or UK 52p each I would have serious concerns about my supplier.

[quote user="Jay"]You can always find a cheaper option, it depends how long you are prepared to wait. Those bulbs in any brico shed are going to be more expensive and if you want one now then you pay the price. A little research and a few days wait would have saved the OP in excess of 10€ and that is for 10 bulbs rather than 2 (Link), 16€ for 2 really was a rip off. Now if trade price on one of these bulbs is in excess of £1.20 and anyone can get them here for 0.56€ or UK 52p each I would have serious concerns about my supplier.

[/quote]

Yes, I know, Jay, I would have waited and asked on the Forum but, OH, being a man, had to have it tout de suite![:P]

I never thought to ask for advice on here - and I think I paid much the same as you  did Sweets in the UK  for spare couple of 40W that Ive put away in a safe place -  I bet I cant find them when we want them !!!